- advertisement -

Missing to much school

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by aprils, Mar 24, 2010.

1. aprils

aprils New Member

My Daughter is 12 and is in 6 th grade she misses alot of school because of stomach pains,bladder problems,skin rashes,high sugar levels.I take her to her doctor but she just refers her to a urology or dermatolgist and then those doctors cant see her for 3 months or more.But with the skin rashes are getting worse and bladder pain is painfull she cant go to school.So she misses more than she goes.
    Is the school going to fail her or what? What can i do?

2. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Does your daughter go to public school & if so, does she have a 504 in place?

Very few people visit the subforums. You really should post this in the Type 1 Parents main forum where it will be seen. I'm very sure you'll get a lot of helpful advice there.

3. KHM

KHM Approved members

Right--- you definitely need a 504 in place to protect her rights to the same educational opportunities as her classmates. Diabetes is a chronic disease that complicates learning and school attendance in lots of ways; her school should have a plan in place that accomodates her educational needs.

And I would definitely post this over in the Parents with Type 1 Children---so many really experienced people there...

Good luck and I hope your daughter feels well... I know exactly what its like to have a T1 who is all too often unable to get through a school day. Its not her fault and its not yours. Your job is to take care of her; the school's job is to educate her in the context of her needs.

4. SoniaT4

SoniaT4 New Member

Son now being homeschooled!

I completely understand the dilemma of having a child in public school with diabetes. My son is 12 yrs old and in the 6th grade. When school started he was in the hospital within a month. His blood sugars were never stable.

The school started doubting him being sick. And questioning his complaints. He was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 2 yrs old. When he was a baby he had reflux really bad and still now has digestive problems with stomach pain. He goes to a gastroenteroligist along with his endocrinologist.

Everytime he gets what seems to be a simple virus to other children it would reek havoc on his system. The last draw for me was he had what started as a gastrointestinal virus, with diahrea and vomiting. He seemed to be getting better but then developed vertigo. He was already having so many problems with high bs and stomach problems he was in school only about 2 to 3 weeks total a month. The vertigo went on for 3 weeks, one of which was spent in the hospial having tests. The neuroligist determined the antibodies that were fighting off the virus attacked the area in his brain that controls balance.

The school was only concerned with him missing so many days and wanted him to be in class but when he was there times he was not feeling well they would give him a hard time. He has even been sent to ISS (in school suspension) because he felt so bad he could not pay attention instead of sending him home. The teacher claimed he refused to follow instructions so he was sent there.

We started homeschool the first of May 2010 and he is already doing so much better. His blood sugars are alot more under control and he has less physical and emotional pain. I know this isn't for everyone but in my heart I feel my choice to take him out of public school in the long run could save his life.