- advertisement -

Missed school days

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Jan 4, 2011.

1. sooz

sooz Approved members

Hailey is really healthy aside from the D and has not missed any school because of illness of any kind. I can definitely relate to the homework problem though because if she comes home from school with a low sometimes it takes so much time to bring her up, and she is extra tired and emotional sometimes so that is one of our biggest challenges.

2. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Not counting the time after dx, she has missed only 1 day in 2 years because of d. After a difficult night of lows that would not come up she was exhausted and also a bit nervous about repeated lows at school ~ so she stayed home we snuggled in bed, napped and watched movies. :cwds:

3. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

In the last few years that I can remember off the top of my head, I've missed 5 to 6 at most. Most of those were because I had a stomach bug that in turn made blood sugars a mess to deal with. A few of those times, I ended up in DKA. That really sucked.
    One of those times, I had a low seizure and I ended up having it at around 6AM, going to school at 8AM, taking the high school exit exam around 9AM, and then going to the ER for continuing low bgs after I finished the exams around 11AM.
    Just in case anyone was wondering, I passed both sections haha.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

We had a heck of a time the first couple months of school. I'd get a call at lunch saying he is high and not feeling well so I would go get him. He has had sinus infections, ear infections, side effects to antibiotics, etc. We finally know that he needs his adenoid out and I am hoping that will straighten things out.

5. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Over the last 3-1/2 years, he may have missed 1-2 days directly related to diabetes. He has been sick and had a bug which I kept him home and it was more difficult to manage but I would have kept him home anyway.

6. khannen

khannen Approved members

Shealyn was dxd almost 4 yrs ago. This is her first year in school as we homeschooled for kindergarten. The school year started in early July and she has had two tardies because of D issues. Both were times of high ketones and I just needed another 2 hrs or so to get her back on track. Since she's only 6, I don't feel it's right to pass it all off on the teacher at that point.

I had to pick her up at lunch on Wednesday as she got sick at school. She caught the nasty tummy bug going around. Sure enough, she was in the ER by 8 that night for IV fluids. She wanted to go back to school the following morning but I wanted her to rest. Lol Thankfully, the school has a 24 hours policy anyway.

I don't pull her out or keep her home for high bgs. yes, she probably feels crummy and has trouble concentrating but it will pass soon as corrected. I wouldn't want her to miss the rest of the day because I took her home with a 350 at noon.

Now, if you ask how many times I've had to run to school to change a pod or got a phone call about alarms/corrections/equipment.... about twice a week at least. Lol

7. manda81

manda81 Approved members

Yes. She said he has issues quickly developing large keytones. I didn't have time to talk to her long, we met in passing at the nurses office. Her son was starting a pump at the beginning of the school year, & was taking the info to the nurse, when I was dropping off CD info for my oldest. We briefly spoke, and that was one of the things that just really stood out to me. I hadn't considered my son missing that much school. :( I am VERY happy to see that is not the norm.