- advertisement -

Missed school days

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

2.5 this school year. Once tummy bug the other a small cold with high BG but no ketones. She really felt like crud tho. I cant let her us D as a reason to stay home or she would never go to school. If she doesnt have a fever or ketones and isnt barfing she goes to school. Except on the rare occasion I know its best for her to stay home.

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

A lot!
    Campbell misses a lot of school due to illness. He has other health issues in addition to D, so he's out a fair bit. While I would probably list a couple strictly tied to D (scary low or high with ketones first thing in the morning) and some tardies due to a very rough night, the other days are kind of in a gray area. While the absences weren't strictly due to D, we all know that D complicates any other illness.

His 504 plan includes reference to his other health issues, so the school has been pretty good about it all. We've also had a couple of meetings with his teachers, and we've been really blunt about it all. They've been good about extensions and modified assignments when needed.

3. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

Other than the couple of days he was out at his diagnosis four years ago, Caleb has never missed school because of diabetes issues.

4. manda81

manda81 Approved members

This is pretty great to see, that so many of your CWD don't miss much school. I was talking with a D-Mom at our school the other day, and her CWD missed 36 days last year... I just kept thing, that's an entire 7 weeks of school.

We are (maybe?) going to start Kindergarten this year... we'll see. We generally don't have an issue with keytones, we've been very lucky in that department, but we do have some long nights sometimes, and I'm not sure how that would work out. I guess we'll see!

5. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

She's had T1D since she was 3 yrs old, she started kinder when she was 5. All trough K-4th so far, she has only missed 2 days that were not because of a dr. appt, that were because of T1D (not the flu, or any illness, but just T1D). One day because she had a seizure and I just didnt want her to go to school the next day (because go figure, she had just seen the Tunnel of Light hours before). And the other day was when she caught impetigo and it took 24 hrs to get her BS down below "HI" on the meter (and that old meter read up to 600, I believe it was Accu-Chek). Wow, that sucked. lol..... memories.

6. Mom of 3 BOYS

Mom of 3 BOYS Approved members

had diabetes for 2 years and only missed days for dx and endo appt. every 4 months. but because of the start of pump this past month we missed a few more days..

7. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Maybe 1 day per year, although this day it has only been half a day -- brought her home mid-way since we couldn't bring her BG down.

8. momof3sons

momof3sons Approved members

No days this year, except for an occasional couple of hours for an appointment or to run him home for an unexpected site change. Just try to keep him there.

9. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

Last year she missed no days except the day she was diagnosed. This year we have hit hormones like a brick wall and she has missed 2 days and 3-4 half days because of fighting high blood sugars. Highs knock her back and she feels really crummy. This years teacher is also very hands off and sends her to the office a lot so she seems to be struggling a little more this year.

Does anyone have a problem always getting all the homework completed? When dd is high like over 280 during the day and it gets stuck for any period of time it exhausts her so she is worthless that night. I think this has been our biggest struggle this year. Not that school is something that comes easy to her anyways but it seems to make it tuffer.

10. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

We struggle with this - when Grace is high she had a hard time concentrating, and when she's coming down she's emotional. It's a struggle but we just do what we need to get it done.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

Coco has missed 2 in five years. She does go to school when she is sky high - she has a site change at the school, so if it is a bad site, she can swap it out. If she stays high, then I talk to the school nurse and have her do a Temp Basal to pull her back down.

I honestly am not a big believer in keeping a child home for high blood sugar.

12. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Josh has missed 6 days total this year. Illness that complicated D...does that count?

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

My son has missed maybe 2 or 3 school days because od D-related issues. They were due to really sleepless/restless nights due to high/lows and I didn't see the need to take him to school where hed' be a zombie. But that was back in pre-k and kindy.

14. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Definitely we see this issue. With either highs or lows, sometimes he can't concentrate and focus and there are days when he just can't get it all done.
    So far the teachers have been good about this, and they've given him extensions when either he or I request it.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Not very often.. typically with really off numbers there is an illness to go along with it, so she'd be home anyway.. there was one time that I let her sleep in an little because she had a horrible night D wise. She wasn't that late for school.. I can't think of any time that I kept her home specifically for numbers, low or high.

16. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

I think that Kyle probably misses a little more than he should, but I feel like some of the other posters that say if he's suffered from a major high or low the night before (esp if it takes a while to bring up or down) I see no reason for him to go to school tired and feeling just plain bad. I honestly try to think about how bad those episodes can make him feel and make decisions based on that. He knows this and doesn't take advantage. He generally likes going to school, so I'm not worried about him 'faking' it. I also have to factor in that I'm a single mom (now) and I work 30 mins away so I really have to decide if I want to send him to school while still high. It's a really helpless feeling, so I would rather error on the side of caution and let him make up the work later. I keep hearing stories on here about hormones causing crazy blood sugars.....I'm so not looking forward to that.

17. speakup4kids

speakup4kids Approved members

Zach misses quite a bit of school due to high blood sugar. I won't send him if he is really high because I really don't see the point. First of all, he is a smart kid and it embarasses him to go when he is high because he has so little brain function it is sad, and second, he won't remember a dang thing that happened anyway. I would literally be sending him for the school's attendance money and I have a moral issue with that. He got H1N1 last year and was out for 2 weeks with that and I have noticed that he does tend to get sicker faster and harder than he did before and more than my other three kids. The part that kills me is that he wants to be at school and hates being home. I do have the teachers make accommodations on homework if he misses a lot of school because it is just a whole bunch of busy work that he really doesn't need. At this stage he can still go back into any of his classes after missing several days and ace the test that the teacher gives that day so I am fortunate. IF that changes I will have to do rethink how I do things I guess.

18. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

This school year so far.....D....none. Endo appt. miss...1. Other sickness.....3.

19. wilf

wilf Approved members

Because of D-related issues?! :eek::eek::eek:

We miss a few part-days a year for endo appointments, and have missed a few more days over the last 4 years (usually to let DD sleep in after a rough night)..

20. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Not if you would have kept him home without D :)