- advertisement -

Missed school days

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Jan 4, 2011.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

I'm curious - on average how many days of school does your child miss each school year because of diabetes related problems (not including regular appts?)

Grace seems to be missing alot - lately due to highs - fine in am then c/o not feeling well - stomach aches, then sky high. She is growing by leaps and bounds so basals are changing it seems constantly. Comes home, clears out the fridge, then usually sleeps for 2-3 hours!!

So far she has missed 12 days of school this year. I'm thinking I need copies of the lesson plans and extra books at home :(

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, Jack is only in 1st grade, but I think in a year of preschool, a year of kindergarten, and a half year of first grade he's missed one morning due to diabetes (woke up with med-large ketones and high BG). But we have a very, very competent nurse at school.

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Since starting school last year(7th)(homeschooled before) he has not missed any days because of diabetes.

4. 22jules

22jules Approved members

My daughter is 12--hasn't really hit her growth spurt just yet and we have not missed any days due to d. She was dx at 8-going on 4 years this Feb. This is not to say that she hasn't gone to school with a high bg, or had to do a not-planned site change during school, or had to give herself a shot due to a suspected not working site. We seem to be fortunate that she doesn't get ketones easily and since she checks bg often, we usually can head off problems before they get out of control.

We also can be pretty aggressive with insulin if things start to go crazy.

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

So far, none, aside from one day right after diagnosis (knock on wood!). Strep throat has hit two in the family in the past month, and I'm REALLY hoping he doesn't get it!

6. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

4-5 days a year. Also a few times when we've had bad nights I'll just let her sleep in and take her to school when she wakes up. She'd be useless and calling me from the nurses office to pick her up anyway.

I try not to let her use it as an excuse. But if she's high or not feeling well she can't function in class and would get marked down for doing poor work instead of being able to catch up later.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

Well - William had a severe asthma flare-up before Christmas and ended up on oral steroids for almost 2 weeks. The steroids make him feel bad and make his blood sugar go insanely high and hard to manage so I ended up keeping him home. Not directly D related but missing school was partly due to diabetes.

Otherwise he doesn't miss a lot. We do show up a few minutes late sometimes cause I had trouble getting a calibration or whatever.

8. Tuff

Tuff Approved members

Maybe once a school year for actual diabetes related reasons. Probably another 6 for all his various doctor appts.

9. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

We missed a few hours to go to appts related to endo visit. Otherwise, last year he was out for the stomach flu like the other children.

10. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Well not counting endo visits which can take half a day due to drive time etc, maybe one day a year.

There are some times though that I've kept her home a day longer after an illness (esp stomach bugs) due to D. I don't know if that counts or not in this question.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Other than endo visits, none. I've always self managed though - and I wouldn't do anything different for a 500 with ketones at home than I would at school, so I might as well go to school. My teachers allow me to leave class whenever necessary if things aren't going well, so I don't have to worry about water / bathroom breaks.

12. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava started school this year and was home with before that so she has caught every single bug that has gone around this year. :mad:

I am not exaggerating when I say she hasn't had a full week yet. So not sure how to answer your question. When she gets a virus, her numbers can be very wonky, super high for colds, lows for tummy bugs and I'm just not comfortable sending her in when she's off.

But I have kept her in school when she's high as long as the nurse give a correction. It seems the super highs tend to be related to a cold or fever coming on, so she might be high on Monday, then wake up with a fever on Tues and I keep her home.

Today she went to 420 at school. GAH!!! but they have been out for almost two weeks for the holiday vacation and she gets monster adrenalin highs. My first instinct was to pick her up, but I let her stay.

If she feels crummy, I come get her, but if she wants to stay and there's no fever or ketones, I let her stay. I'm at home and she's only in kindergarten, so I feel like there is some flexibility.

But in all seriousness, we have thought long and hard about home schooling.

I wish I had the stamina and creativity for it. Those of you who do it, you have my admiration, but I'm just not that creative.

13. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

In over 13 years of living with diabetes, my son has not stayed home because of diabetes related problems ever. He gets the normal sicknesses, but we were lucky to have kept the diabetes problems under control during the school day.

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth has gone in late due to a rough D night. (Usually in the starting a new sport adjustment period) And, he has missed part of a day due to a D appt. although I try to make the appts. after school.

I can honestly say though that I can't remember him ever missing a full day strictly because of D. :confused:

15. MyThreeBoys

MyThreeBoys Approved members

We've been dealing with this for only about 15 months so far, but in the first school year he missed 11 days with 5 tardies all related to diabetes (mostly infections like Strep and Pnemonia and the several days of really high highs). This compares to missing 1 day with 1 tardy the year before! Ugh.

I've noticed he seems much more susceptible to infections/illnesses than before he was diagnosed which is a real bummer. We've learned to increase everything (basal, bolus, corrections) by 20% across the board for sick days and to check bg's every 2 hours round the clock for corrections....by the way, this is much to the unhappiness of the 'by the book' protocol and the NPs who know only that at Children's in Cinti, but that is a whole new discussion, isn't it?

16. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Mine has missed in the year and 3 months since diagnoses a total of 38 days including appointments. She catches every thing and now has illnesses and allergies we never had before. Not sure you can call it all d related but I know she only had migraines once or twice a year an occasional cold before diagnoses. Since diagnoses we have had pneumonia, asthma diagnoses, latex allergy, migraines, and strep throat. Which tonight she is already sleeping and complaining she is not feeling well.

17. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

In the first months after dx, when he was in 6th grade, Chris was absent and tardy due to D-related problems. There were nights when he was up late and just felt awful. Since then, it really hasn't been a problem. Any child could go through a rough spot. Don't second guess yourself. If your child is feeling awful, or needs your care, there is nothing wrong with keeping them home.

18. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I would hate to know... but LOTS! matt can dig up a ketone in a heartbeat if it means staying home... :rolleyes: I cant send him, he feels sick and why make him, or the rest of the class suffer. I would hazzard that since going to the pump, he has gotten ketones much faster and easier then before, that lack of lantus is key. Its a tradeoff...

He also suffers from migraines...

the toad was home yesterday (AM) from a migraine, today, it was ketones with out reason... blood was fine. (Im sure there was a reason, I dont know what it was...)

19. redmcgee

redmcgee Approved members

15 or more so far this school year and I am sure more to come. Probably 12 of them were due to diabetes. I do get a note faxed to the school for every diabetes day she misses or late she has had a few tardies also. also on those missed days it is either from being really high and ketones to low then back for the rollar coaster again alot of those days was at the end of oct thru Nov when she kept getting ketones for no reason, hormone issue is a big issue also.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  20. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

The only time Connor has missed school for Diabetes is a few times when we have had to leave early for an endo appt.
    He has never missed for Diabetes related issues. If he wakes up high or low then we correct or treat and he goes to school. If he has a bad night he goes to school and I make sure his teachers are aware that he had a rough night. He did go to school tardy once because of a site gone bad overnight and he woke with moderate ketones and nauseous. Once the ketones were cleared and blood sugar was below 250 he went to school.

I think how you choose to handle things is a very personal decision. For us it means carrying on even if you don't always feel 100%. My husband was dx T1 at age 19. He has never called in to work for diabetes related issues. I don't call in to work when I wake with a headache and would much prefer to stay in bed (and that happens plenty often). Our philosophy is that Connor will have this his whole life (we hope for a cure but don't plan for it) so he needs to be able to deal with school/work, etc. even on the days he doesn't feel his best.
    I am not in any way judging anyone or how they handle things for their family. Each person has to do what works best for their child and family. This is just our philosophy at our house and how we deal with it.