- advertisement -

Missed Boluses

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lee, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

I am sick of them, sick of them, sick of them. I do not yell, or punish, or act upset. However, I am ready to pull my hair out. She missed 1 today, 1 yesterday, etc,etc,etc. It is like she is missing 1 a day.

I remind her to bolus, I ask if she bolused, all that stuff. I hate to ask to verify if she bolused, you know, to say - let me see your pump...just becuase she is so responsible 90% of the time and I feel that would push her too far. She is already at that age where she wants more control, but teetering on not being able to handle it.

Sigh - I don't really need advice - just needed to vent.

2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

So sorry.....Been there done that, and its frustrating!

I know on the Revel there is a missed bolus alarm that could be set...I can't remember if the younger pumps have the same alarm or not.

3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I am right there with ya! Vent away!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think it's just a phase they have to go through :rolleyes: But, yes ... it's so hard to stay on them and help them without crossing the line. I hate that they have to live with all this responsibility. :(

5. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

So sorry Becky, it is such a difficult age.

6. joan

joan Approved members

My son definitely went through that stage and I could not help myself from being openly disappointed with a little guilt thrown in. It is so frustrating.

7. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Vent away. We're here to listen. :cwds:

8. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Unfortunately that's the way it is. Kids as young as ours have a lot on their minds. Responsibility for their diabetic well-being tends to lag behind all of the other stuff a 12 year old finds important. In the overall scheme of things, an occasional missed bolus is not too terrible. (emphasis on the word occasional, very occasional)
    The way I see it, our kids will have many, many boluses over their lifetime. All we can do now is to constantly reinforce the importance of NOT forgetting to dose for every meal.

In my view, I would rather my DS be high than very low.

9. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Hate them here too. Almost nothing about D is as frustrating as missed boluses. So preventable and yet there is no "right" way to solve it.

When I'm frustrated, I tell myself if it was me I'd never do that to myself. But the truth is I probably wouldn't be as responsible as my DD is. It has really got to suck to always have to remember. Poor kids. :(

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

I hate to say it but it is so easy to miss the bolus on the MM. When I use the BW it involves a double click to get the bolus going, I find in a hurry I will put the info in, look at it and then forget to click to start insulin flowing. Her misses may not be on purpose as much as needing to remember to slow down when doing the routine to make sure she gets the button pushing actually done, and buttons pushed firmly enough. You might try working on this strategy and assuming the best. Just a thought. It really does become so routine that you forget steps.Or forget to make sure you hit the buttons firmly.:cwds:ali

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I've been there done that got that T-shirt. I have been making Seth text me after he boluses at school.:rolleyes: He has gotten better lately thank goodness.

12. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Sorry, Becky! Please vent away. That's what we are here for :cwds:.

Don't you wish the "Missed Bolus Reminder" was not a series of little beeps, but instead an annoying loud voice that yelled out: "Hey! You missed your bolus! Are you listening?!! Your bolus -- You MISSED IT!!!" (Now, that would be helpful ;))

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Like a bolus howler? Now there's an idea! :D

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Ha Ha you made me laugh out loud!:D

15. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We've had this issue, too, especially if the dual/square wave feature is on, which adds an extra screen to get through before you deliver the bolus. Lots of emphasis on slowing down and really paying attention. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

16. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm sorry, Becky.:(

17. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I am so there with you. It is frustrating - especially when DD usually does a great job with management.

Yes, constantly reminding her following a meal is easy IF I am sitting at the table with her. But, many times I am out of the house. And snacks are evil.

I am very good about asking her, "How's your number?" when I pass through a room she is in or when I call home to check on everyone while I'm out and about. She is always willing to tell me the last number if she checked recently or she will grab the meter and check if it's been a while.

I have learned to word it carefully when I think a missed bolus is causing a high number. I usually say something like, "I may need to adjust your basal or I:C unless you can think of anything unusual that might be effecting that number."

Then, if it is a missed basal, she will admit to it. "Oh, I think I under-bolused for... or I forgot to bolus for..." She I follow up with, "If you continue to miss boluses, it is very difficult to manage healthy numbers."

At this time, this mode of operation is working with my 12yo. It is a fine line between parenting, nursing, and mentoring. We all want the best BG's possible so our child will have the best future outcome. Figuring out how to get there and not alienate them can be challenging. We have to prepare them for complete self-management in the coming years. Remind yourself that you will not always be on hand to micro-manage.

Still searching for the balance...

18. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I hate missing boluses as well. It's just so hard to remember every single time, and it's so much easier to forget boluses than injections.

19. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I love the shorts threat!!!! Too funny! I am going to have to try that.

I am so in the same boat, sigh. Jayden is usually really good about her management, but sometimes, some days, ahhhhhhh. Like yesterday...she checked at breakfast and bolused, checked before lunch and bolused, checked at 3pm and was a little low so had a snack, and then...7pm, sat down to eat dinner, ate, and left to go to her room and straighten her hair. So I asked, "did you bolus for the food you just ate?" Silence. "What was your blood sugar before you ate dinner?" Silence. Fortunately her bg was "only" 210, and with one simple correction, it came right down and was good all night.

I was just saying to my husband...it seems like when you've been doing something the same way, every single day, for three years (almost), it would be second nature. But then, I don't have diabetes, and I don't have to do it every day. I don't fuss at Jayden about it either, but I am at a loss as to what to do about it too.

So, I feel your pain. Is it an epidemic with 12 year old D girls???

20. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I'm with you Becky. Phillip has had a few missed boluses lately too. It's frustrating.

Yesterday, to practice graphs for homework for math he made a graph of his bgs from the last 24 hours. When he saw the spikes I told him they were all caused by missed boluses. He was like 'Oh, I should remember better shouldn't I'.