- advertisement -

Mios vs Silhouettes?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lauraqofu, Jul 29, 2011.

1. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

Found out today that our clinic is recommending against the Mios, so we have to order some Silhouettes at least for the first week or two. (Our pump rep gave us a couple for our second saline trial.) The reason the are recommending against the Mios is that they've been seeing lots of issues with bent or pulled canulas. Cass didn't really like the Silhouette, said it hurt a great deal more than the Mio, but I'd rather not risk the highs from a bent cannula just to avoid the one time pain...but if it's not a huge issue than I'd rather let her choose which insertion set to use.

2. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

Elizabeth has been pumping for almost 2 years, using the Animas Inset (which is the same as the Mio)...we've only had maybe 5 actual kinked cannulas in that time. We were talking tonight about other kinds of sets, and she is very opposed to anything that would be a manual insertion. We've been very happy with the insets.

3. fairyblood

fairyblood Approved members

For what its worth I have had more issues with Silhouettes kinking then with Mios.

Trust your own gut and figure what works best for you.

4. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

We've had 2 or 3 bent cannulas in 8 months with the Mio, but that's from 2 kids. Every time we've had a bent cannula, I suspected it immediately upon insertion. If you don't release the sides at the same time, you're more prone to bending them, but you can feel it not go in as smoothly, if that makes sense.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Use Mios with my 4 year old

When we went to the clinic for our pump training (1 year ago) the CDE had us use silouhettes. I hated the idea of a manual insertion, but followed CDE directions for at least two weeks. I didn't have much luck with doing that. Blood sugars seemed to run high and I was stressing about if I got it in the right way. We were constantly redoing sites.

Since my husband is also a type 1 on the revel - I knew he used a spring loader inserter for his sites. He used quick sets. I quickly switched over to quick-sets (didn't ask for permission, just did it). These worked SO much better and I was thrilled.

When the mios came out we switched to those for a few reasons. I liked the disposable inserter (I could put a few extra ones in the nurses office) and the mios lay flatter against his body. The quick sets seem to stick out a little further. Since we did sites on his rear - they often caught on his pants. Mios lay flatter. Sometimes I tape over them - but not always.

We have only had a kinked canula twice in one year!

I would totally go with what YOU want. The endos don't have to change sites every other day and are not in our shoes. Go for MIOS.

6. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

We had SO MANY more kinked canulas with silhouettes than with Mios and we have been using the Mios since they came out. As for the sites pulling out, it only happens to Gregory when he is swimming (he has never just gotten his tubing caught and yanked one out) and he lost silhouettes as frequently as he loses Mios. The silhouettes are much more painful going in and they leave more scar tissue on their bodies. We also had a lot of problems with silhouettes hurting when they were in and working fine. The Endo just said to have my son drink lots of water to plump his cells so they didn't hurt as much. IMO, I would tell the Endo that a pump start is anxiety provoking enough, my child does not need to be worried about the site hurting. You are paying for the infusion sets (or your insurance is.) Get what you are comfortable with. Just my opinion. Good luck! -Allison

7. Denise

Denise Approved members

We have never used Sils but have been using Mios since they came out. We have had kinked sites but it's due to Molly being so muscular. We have tried her legs and tummy (both very lean) and didn't have much luck. She has a generous booty so we use that nearly exclusively (sometimes arms) and the doc is very pleased with how the area looks where we use them. Molly is terrified to use the sils. We switched from Quicksets to Mios. I'd say we've had a less than 10 kinked sites in the time we've used the Mios.

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Starting the pump is just like when your baby was first dx'd---at first you do what the docs tell you, but eventually you do what you think is best (after you read all the posts on CWD ;) ). Remember when you wouldn't adjust insulin without talking to the endo? Well, the pump is just like that--basically you try it all and see what works for you. So go ahead and try the Mio. If it doesn't work out, try something else. Order a box of each. See what works.

Oh, and the Mios come in pink! :D

9. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Why not consider sure-t's instead of sils? That solves the kinking issue, and for me they're not any harder to insert than giving a shot.

IMO unless there is a physical reason to use sils over another set, I'd recommend against them. Sils are fairly intimidating to look at, even with an inserter. I can't imagine starting off on the pump with them.

10. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We like quick sets. :D

11. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I started on sils from day one, so I may be a little biased on them. I accepted it as a part of pumping and didn't even try anything else for close to a year. That being said, after switching away from them, they looked a lot more scary than they had when I had started.

I eagerly tried the mios when they first came out and had nothing but misery with them. They would go in ok and work well for the first day, but nearly all of them kinked on day two. I exchanged the rest of my order after the first box. I also didn't like the way backside of the plastic piece didn't lay quite flat and could catch very easily. I think the animas insets were much better designed than the mios.

After mios, I switched to sure-ts and couldn't be happier. I am now sure that they never kink, leave less scaring than the sills, are nearly painless going in or during the life of the site. Also, they last as long as any of the Teflon sets, so don't be afraid of the every two day rotation suggestion.

Body types and reactions to sets vary, that's why they make multiple kinds of sets and have enough of a market to sell them. Give them all a fair shot and stick with what works best.

12. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

We started pumping with sils and really like them. Have had very few kinked canulas, and the ability to adjust the angle of insertion gives us lots of options as far as where the site goes. I do expect that the sites take a bit longer to heal due to the fact that an angled insertion is always going to have a bit more impact on the surface area than something that goes straight in, but for us that hasn't been enough to make us want to switch. We don't use the inserter, we always insert manually.

To each their own.

13. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Only one kinked issue with Insets (identical to Mios). We love them!

14. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Never used the Mio, but when dd was on the Cosmo I tried Insets --which I think are similar. Really loved the self-contained inserter-case, but hated the kinks and the inability to see that it was kinked. I stopped using them.

Sure-T (or contact detach for non-MM) is a straight set. It has a steel cannula that doesn't kink. Did your doctor not offer you the Sure-T?

We also use Silhouettes from time to time. I found less of a kinking issue when inserting by hand.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  15. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We have never used Sils so have no experience there.
    We started out with Quick-sets and did have some issues with kinked cannulas. We switched to Mios about 15 months ago and I don't think we have had a kinked cannula since. They work so much better for us and Connor says they are way less painful than the Quick-sets were going in. We also like the way they attach and detach better than the quick-sets.

16. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Insets and mios are similar but not exactly the same. I never had a problem with insets but could not use mios at all. I started with an animas pump and moved to minimed after.

17. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

People need to go with what works for them. It's not a one size fits all.

Before pumping, I thought we'd do all steel sets. Well, L didn't find steel sets comfortable. So, we tried Quicksets, and they worked great. We tried Silhouettes in the tummy and alway had angry red sites within hours and a bump with unexplained highs.

Now, we are using Mios and DD likes having the all in one serter and sharps containment. Plus pink and blue sets are fun.

18. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

We did a site change tonight, and while the Silhouette wasn't as difficult to insert as I thought it would be, but I remember back when we did our first saline trial, back in January with the Mios and the mark left by the Silhouette is much worse than the Mios. I think we'll get through our pump start doing what the dr wants, and switch to the Mios when the endo's not looking.:D