- advertisement -

MIO-Anyone try or use?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hrermgr, Apr 13, 2010.

1. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

After learning about the new medtronic infusion set, MIO, I was pretty excited to try on T. Yesterday DH was able to get a couple of sets to try from our endo office. We haven't tried yet but would like to soon. Anyone using or have tried the Mio? What do you like or dislike???

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We normally use quicksets and were excited to try the mio. If you get the samples you might not get the little plastic to put into it for when you disconnect. In the box of 10 there is a little plastic bag with 2 little pink pieces of plastic--we got pink. You only get 2 for the ten sets, rather than one each.

I ordered these for dd who is 7. She liked them but I hated them. She liked that they are pink. She thought that they hurt less on insertion, which I've heard elsewhere too. I liked that they are sturdy in their package--great for trips to the beach or traveling so you don't crush the set. You can alos cover it and throw it out instead of needing a sharps container--another plus for on the go.

I didn't like the arrow shape. The 2 corners are not as streamlined as the nice round flat quicksets. They are also not completely stuck to the tape--think of the cgm, like the sensor is stuck on but the seashell receiver is floppy. So with not being fully stuck on and with 2 corners sticking out they are more likely to get stuck on things--which is exactly what happened and I had to go to school to manage a 500 bs because her site had pulled partially out and the canula wasn't in the skin.!!!

They are also harder to disconnect and there is a metal needle on the tube end, which doesn't look nice. On the plus side they are easier to reconnect that the quicksets, which sometimes just click on and sometimes not.

But the worst part for me is that they are VERY diffiuclt to get off of the inserter. Once you pop it in you should be able to just remove the serta. But the serta and needle come off together so it's hard to pull off without pulling the set out. You can't reach under it to hold the tape down while you pull it out. Some ppl say to press it into you for 5 seconds before you pull it off. I'm not a fan of these.

It ws a good idea and will be great for travel, beach, etc. but in general i like the quicksets much better. I just wish they came in pink!!

3. Denise

Denise Approved members

We LOVE the Mio and have had NO troubles pulling out the inserter/needle. :cwds: Molly says that the insertion hurts much less than the Quicksets. Not sure why but if it works, we'll stick w/ it!

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

btw, Denise, I always meant to apologize to "stealing" your screen name--I didn't mean to, and only realized it after the fact, plus that's my screen name for every place I post since I'm too much of a spaz to remember anything else. :rolleyes:

Glad you like the mio--dd also says it hurts less, I wonder why that is.

5. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

We use to use Sure T's and Quick Sets, but changed to Mio's when they came out. We love them and wouldn't change them for the world. :)

6. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

We tried one sample and liked it. DS said it hurt less, as well, and I like the fact that it's compact and easy to travel with. I do agree, though, that the connector sticks out significantly further than the Quickset or Silhouette, which concerns me a little. We're going to try them for the next 3 months and see how it goes.

7. Jilleighn

wanted to add. We use them on the belly. My daughter is 2 and LOVES them. We also have learned a little trick to make getting them off the inserter much easier. I love how they disconnect from actually site. We always had issues connecting the quicksets back together. I love how I can throw how ever many we need into a bag and go on our way, since I don't need to have a different inserter.

8. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

never heard of them, will look in to this!!

9. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Thanks for all of the feedback. As with all things, sounds like there are pros and cons. Good to know both so thanks!!!

Jilleighn-You said you learned little trick to get off the inserter easier. Would you tell us??? Please?

10. Jilleighn

After you put the infusion site, Hold it down for about 3 seconds and then where the tubing is push the infusion site a little tiny bit to the left and hold down the tubing, the inserter comes right off :)

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We absolutely love the MIO too.. the ONE thing I'm not fond of is that the back end, that connects, doesn't stick all the way down like that quicksets did.. there is no way to get it to stick all the way down unless you tape it down, then disconnecting would be a pain.. taking the serter off is different that removing the quickset serter, it just takes some getting use too.. to insert it you take the back tape off, pull bag on the center of the white part, holding the two spots on the side of the serter that are rippled.. you'll hear it snap in place.. pick the spot you want to put it, put it against the skin and pinch the two smooth dimpled areas, it pops right in.. you can remove it by pulling back on the center again, or just pull the serter straight out.. they stick FAR better than the quick sets, and Kaylee loves that they come in colors.. right now she has pink.:)