- advertisement -

Minute Maid Fruit Falls

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jace's Mommy, May 23, 2011.

1. Jace's Mommy

Jace's Mommy Approved members

These are the only low carb juice boxes I've found. I have my entire family pick up a few boxes everytime they are at a grocery store. And now my sister said Wegmans said they are being discountinued !:eek:
    Anyone know if this is true?
    Or does anyone know of other low carb juice boxes?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You didn't say how many carbs it is but I looked it up and it is 2 carbs. What about trying Crystal Light, it has zero carbs. Here is a previous thread on this subject:

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=55694

I also stumbled upon this about the Minute Maid drink:

"Fooled again! Recently I feel in love with Minute Maid Fruit Falls Water Beverage not only because it was a convenient and tasty way to get my kids to drink more water but unlike the other fruit flavored water beverages found in the juice aisle it does not contain high fructose corn syrup and artificial flavorings. In fact, the front of the 10-pouch box states it is "made with pure filtered water and a splash of real fruit juice." However, on closer examination I noticed two "minor" details that put questionable doubt in my mind about continuing to give this product to my kids. Now the nutritional detective work begins -- firstly, upon closer examination I noticed that the phrase "made with pure filtered water and a splash of real fruit juice" was followed by two small asterisks (**) -- should of been my first clue when I initially picked up the box at the supermarket! These asterisks lead me to a disclaimer that I had to hunt for and eventually found on the side of the box. This disclaimer stated Minute Maid Fruit Falls is made with a blend of juices from concentrate (OK, but still better than high fructose corn syrup, right?) and other ingredients (other ingredients, what other ingredients?!). The other ingredients comment brought me back to the nutritional contents (which I thought I had closely read in the store, what an idiot!). Upon closer scrutiny I uncovered the word "sucralose" as one of the last ingredients listed. For those of you unfamiliar with this word, it is the same chemical component the artificial sweetener Splenda is made from. While I know the scientific jury is still out regarding the potential risks of sucralose, I feel as a parent I don't want to play the odds and risk endangering my children's future health by giving them a test tube substance like Splenda. What I can't seem to figure out is why it is so difficult to produce a flavored water for kids without all of the unnecessary additions -- if I can mix up an combination of water and fruit juice at home, why can't a major manufacturer package this same all-natural combination in a convenient to carry pouch or juice box? Once again -- it's up to you to do the nutritional detective work. Even when you think you've read the label -- READ IT AGAIN!"

Good luck....

3. Jace's Mommy

We use Crystal Light at home but the Fruit Falls are great for in his lunch box ! I hope they stay around

4. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

Great ... we buy those all the time also ... perfect for on the go.

Crystal

5. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

We love sucralose, and seek out products made with it. If you look for a conspiracy, you'll find one.

We used to find Kool-Aid Jammers 10 easily; they are another 2 carb juice. But they've become very difficult to find also. I just about give up on finding anything worthwhile anymore. Sean keeps a supply of diet sodas in the clinic at school to help with highs, and I've started having him stop by and grab one of those on his way to lunch. He got really sick of the Fruit Falls and Raging Waters (and 8 carb option). We let him buy a milk to have with his lunch for a while, but he was regularly over 100 carbs for his lunch, frequently 120. The soda does have caffeine in addition to the sucralose it's sweetened with, but I think the caffeine may actually help him focus a little better in the afternoon in addition to keeping his carbs down.

Of course his almost 13. I'd feel differently if he was still 8 or 9.

6. ashleesmommy

ashleesmommy Approved members

We used fruit falls too a while back and I can't find them anywhere!! I've been cutting down on how much artificial sweetners I give my DD due to he tummy issues (I don't know if that's what's causing them though). We sometimes use the crystal light or fun fizz. We also use powerade zero.

7. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

We have not been able to find the Kool-aid Just 10 or the Minute Maid Fruit Falls around here for awhile, but Minute Maid (I think) also has some Just 10 juice pouches that a 2 g of carbs each. You may want to keep an eye out for any juice pouches that say "Just 10" and check the carb count on them.

8. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

We like Honest Kids and Fruitables for juice-on-the-go.

Someone on CWD mentioned Trop50 for at home and we like that too.

Also, the jury (me, in this case!) is still out on Great Value "Naturally Sweetened" Low Calorie Drink mix for water bottles. I detect a slight aftertaste from the Stevia that I'm not crazy about, but my kids haven't complained about it.

Crystal Light makes Pure Fitness, a powder drink that has Truvia. I don't know much about that sweetener, but we like that too.

HTH!

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Just a hint, but crystal lite is made from splenda as well. There is also roaring waters, by capri sun, but it has more carbs (8 or 9 depending on the drink) and other chemicals that I can't pronounce.. and while fruit falls may have some things in it that people question (splenda) giving her a 2 carb drink, one that looks similar to other fruit pouches makes her feel like the other kids.. which is important to her.. I hope the fruit falls don't get eliminated.. they've already taken away a few of the 'light' drinks they produce in the cold juice section.. and while *I* water down whatever my kids get (except milk) they don't water down what they take when they get it themselves.

I DO agree with the person that you quoted, why can't a manufacture come out with water with a splash of juice, why does it have to be all chemicals, I'm willing to pay more for water with a spash of juice for flavor.

10. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

I havent been able to find the fruit falls for a few month up here now, really makes me sad cause it was just one thing that was what all the other kids had that my daughter could have as well with no shot needed. I think I am going to call the coke-cola company and see what they say.

11. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We drink a lot of the Fruit Falls too. I haven't heard anything about them being discontinued. I also get them at Wegmans, Kings, Target, Stop and Shop - haven't had a problem finding them yet! I better stock up just in case!

12. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

We used to buy Fruit Falls for our daughter's lunch and for 'on the go', too. All the stores w/i a 60 mile radius have stopped selling them.

I agree, I'd pay a good price for pouched water w/ a splash of fruit juice and no chemicals, too!

13. Jace's Mommy

Like I said, I always have family members pick them up because I feared this would happen ! Like some have said, My son likes being "normal" by grabbing a juice box like everyone else. I'm going to contact the company as well!

14. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members