- advertisement -

MiniMed's thinnest needle/cannula?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by payam7777777, Aug 20, 2006.

1. payam7777777

payam7777777 Approved members

Which infusion set of MiniMed's has the thinnest needle/cannula? What is it's G?

2. CarrieP

CarrieP Approved members

The Sure-T is the smallest needle. It is a steel set.

We used the Quickset at first, but it was a cannula seta nd the needle was bigger...Not sure on the needle gage (sp?), it is not on the package. I have both.

CarrieP

3. darcyann3

darcyann3 Approved members

we use the sure-T

Hello,

My son uses the sure-T and even though we have only been pumping for a month and a half it is working great. I believe the needle is 6mm and you do need to change it out every two days.

Darcy

4. payam7777777

Confuseified!

1) But i was under the impression that with MiniMed our choices are:
    QuickSet
    SofSet
    Silhuette
    Polyfin

2) I'd like to know 3 things about the above infusionsets and about the infusion sets you suggest/recommend:
    1. Is it the needle that remains in the belly or the cannula? I know some use needle and some use cannula, i just dunno which uses whish
    2. Length of the needle or cannula for each and every one of the above sets and the sets you may suggest.
    3. G of the needle or cannula for each and everyu one of the above sets and the ones you may suggest.

Sorry for the lengthy/detailed inquiry so to speak.

5. payam7777777

Ehem...

I visited:
    Infusion Sets
    http://www.diabetes123.com/pumps/infusionsets.htm

Infusion Sets + Gauge
    http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/infusion_sets.php

Paradigm Supplies - Infusion Sets and Insertion Devices
    http://store.minimed.com/mmStore/ap..._view.event&wlcs_catalog_category_key=IS-PARA

And relized that:

Polyfin
    28 gauge needle
    6, 8, 10mm

Sof-set Micro Ultimate QR
    25 gauge intro needle,
    27 gauge cannula
    6(micro), 9(QR)mm

Silhuette
    25 gauge intro needle,
    27 gauge cannula
    25 gauge
    17mm OhMy!

QuickSet
    25 gauge intro needle,
    27 gauge cannula
    6, 9mm

What i stil cant figure out is Sure-T's gauge. I know it's 6mm long but the gauge?

What is the diffrence between a cannula and a catheter?!??!

Is it possible to use Cleo 90 by Smiths Medical® with Minimed?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  6. karonray

karonray Approved members

I know that 17mm sound quite gruesome , but it goes in at a 45 degree angle not 17mm straight down like a shot. My kids both use the Sils and do like them. The needle is very scary at first. My advice is ask for samples....and try them. My kids haven't tryed anything else but the Sils , I would like them to try the quick-sets.

7. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

No. The Cleo 90 uses a luer lock connection, Minimed uses a proprietary connection with all of their pumps. Other pumps, such as the Cozmo and Animas IR1200/IR1250, use the luer lock, if you want to consider one of those, there are several other pumps on the market out there that use luer lock as well, but those two are the most popular. Minimed makes a great pump, but all pumps have pretty much the same features today. With a young child, I'd certainly recommend a set that's all inclusive, everything's bundled up, inserter and all, makes it go alot quicker, it's easier to get the set on them if they like to squirm and move about, and you have the added benefit that they do not see the needle. In all honesty about needle gauge, you really don't feel a difference between a 25 and 28 on insertion. For an active child, I really do not recommend the metal sets, but all children are different and it may work for him. Something else you may be able to do, once you have a pump company you want to work with, before you get him hooked up, do a trial on yourself with a pump and saline, you can see how it feels, test the different sets on yourself. The experience of wearing a pump can also possibly help you help him with learning to cope, and getting used to it should be no problem for him though, usually the young are better about it than teens and adults, they adjust exceptionally well.

8. payam7777777

MiniMed's say

MiniMed said:

Polyfin(r)
    Needle Gauge 27
    Needle length 16mm

Silhouette (17mm)
    Needle Gauge 27
    Needle Length 17mm
    Cannula Gauge 25
    Cannula Length 17mm

Silhouette(r) (13mm)
    Needle Gauge 27
    Needle Length 13mm
    Cannula Gauge 25
    Cannula Length 13mm

Sof-set QR(r) Ultimate (9mm)
    Needle Gauge 26
    Needle Length 12mm
    Cannula Gauge 24
    Cannula Length 8.8mm

Sof-set *Micro (6mm)
    Needle Gauge 26
    Needle Length 9mm
    Cannula Gauge 24
    Cannula Length
    6 mm

Quick-set(r) (9mm)
    Needle Gauge 27
    Needle Length 12mm
    Cannula Gauge 25
    Cannula Length 9mm

Quick-set (6mm)
    Needle Gauge 27
    Needle Length 9mm
    Cannula Gauge 25
    Cannula Length 6 mm

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm not familar with Minimed's products but many doctors will recommend that a young child use a set with a metal needle (like the Rapid D) because it is easy to insert and there is no chance of having a kink in the cannula. William was diagnosed at 2 years old and has used the Rapid D set for almost 2 years now with no major problems.

The child is fairly young right?

Have you considered the Animas pump? It offers the smallest basal rate increments of any pump - at .025. With a young child who is very sensitive to insulin I think this is the MOST important feature.

Have you found a doctor who can do a pump start?

10. payam7777777

ChildYes,

Yes, selketine,

3 y/o child.
    Animas not available here.
    Yes, we found a doc. to start the pump.

Thanx.

11. selketine

selketine Approved members

Minimed is a very good pump - they all are good pumps.

I would not rule out trying a set - if Minimed makes them - that have the metal needle similar to a Rapid D. It would be helpful if you could get samples of different sets but I don't know if that is possible. I tried at least 6 different sets ON ME (not my child) to see how they felt and get at least some idea of what is involved. I found that very helpful - and I found the Rapid D to be comfortable (I wore it for 2 days).