- advertisement -

Minimed Revel

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sammysmom, Nov 16, 2010.

1. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

I know that minimed used to have an online pump school. Is this available for the revel? Sam is switching to the revel and this would be a great tool for his para at school.

2. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

The same pump school online seems to be available, and the Revel isn't that different for daily functions than the old 522/722, so I'd say just go ahead and use that. Great idea to have his para do it for their own training!

3. sammysmom

Thank you for replying.

4. KHM

KHM Approved members

Also, depending on your location you might find that the Medtronic rep could arrange an inservice for the school staff that need to know. Our experience in that regard was extremely impressive. In fact, I think Medtronic has been asked to repeat that session in a series of forums for clusters of schools with kids sporting those devices.

It was super simple to set up---Medtronic seems really happy to do what ever support is required. Good luck!

5. sammysmom

We are getting the inservice training but his para wanted to understand it a bit more before she came.

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The online pump school will show the basics, like how to bolus, when to correct, or put a number in, where to put carbs, bg numbers etc.. The menus are slighly different on the revel than they are on the X22 series.. but all the menu's that she'd use (like bolus wizard) should be the same.

Our CDE has always offered to come to the school and train. I've just always done it myself.. I've taken the pump off of Kaylee and sat with them, showed them the basics and then watched as they did it, it didn't take long for them to understand.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'll say that one thing that really helped our school nurse was that we were able to get an extra pump from our MM rep and the nurse got to keep it for a couple of days. For her, there was no substitute for actually getting to push the buttons and practice at her leisure.

8. sammysmom

Yes, exactly. I don't need training on it because the little D guy that I watch has a Revel so hubby and I are fully trained and so is Sam because we wanted him to know how to work the little guys pump. I can train the school but MM will bring out pumps for all three of the trained aids at school. I was just saying that his one para is very proactive and wanted to know if there was a virtual pump school so she can preview it all before the training.

9. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Maybe the Rep can leave the pump for a few days, like Karla's did .:)

10. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

it also comes in CD form Shannon. Maybe MM can send it directly to you.
    didn't you just start pinging?? (and despite the old hate of MM, we actually like it. I'm sure you will do - just get past that it isn't the coz....lol)

11. sammysmom

CD form...did not know that!That would work perfectly! Yes we just started pinging maybe 2 years ago but never could get past the fact that he REALLY needed all the reminders and such that were on the cozmo. When cozmo went out of business we went with the ping because the revel was not around at the time. When the Revel came out it actually took A LOT of features that the cozmo had (many people do not realize that!) and it incorporated the smaller dosing. Sam's fine motor skill issues were never a problem until he hit 9yrs old and wanted independence. He can pop in an inset (and MIO) but could not work the luer lock becuase of the tiny grasp needed. The MM connection lock is great for this issue. Now he can fill, lock and pop in an infusion set. He was held back and I had to do it for him, something he is not fond of lately. I will miss my remote bolus very much but it is a trade off. His attention problems made it hard if he did not bolus right away, he would forget the number and such. This pump seems to cater to his learning style. Still, I truly believe that cozmo was a pump that was just so ahead of it's time..... He picked the clear pump so he could see the inner workings, I knew he would!

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

That is the hard part.;)