- advertisement -

Minimed infusion set vs really skinny kid - anyone btdt?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by EllenT, Mar 12, 2011.

1. EllenT

EllenT New Member

We have been trying to start the minimed pump on my daughter for the last two days, but each attempt has failed because of a bad site. She is 5 yo and very lean.

Infusion sets tried and failed:

Quick-set: tried in abdomen and then in fatty-ish part of buttock. didn't work. when I withdrew the cannulas, they were bent.

Silhouette: tried with the sil-serter lying flat against skin. didn't work. cannula was bent when I removed the site.

I think that I need to re-try with the silhouette, but holding the sil-serter so it inserts at a shallower angle. Has anyone had a similar experience? How shallow did you have to go to get the thing to work? Any advice welcome.

So frustrating! We have spent weeks getting the kid excited about going on the pump, but all it has gotten her so far is 3 tries and 3 fails, with some nasty highs in the process.

Tks.

2. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla is very thin and we haven't had any issues with the quick sets. We have had one bend on us but that is it since Dec. She likes the backish part of where the love handles would be if she had some.

3. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I think a lot of people with small skinny kids find that they need to insert the Silhouette manually to get the shallow angle they need and have great success with that. I understand that would be a little scary considering the size of the needle so you may want to use Emla and get some tips from your CDE.
    Or you could try the Sure-T which is a tiny steel needle which stays in (instead of a canulla) and eliminates any concern of kinked cannulas. A lot of young kids use that too. HTH!

4. mocha

mocha Approved members

With the angled sets, I found that I had to insert them in at a very shallow angle in my thighs. I also found that the I could only keep the angled sets in (no matter where I inserted them) for two days rather than three. Once I hit day 3, the site was completely blown.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm too skinny for quick sets. They all kink, very visibly and with terrible effects on my BG. Silhouettes kink about 1/3 of the time, less badly, but that's still too high a kink rate.

I have found Sure-Ts, which are a steel-needle set (the needle stays in) to be wonderful. If it wasn't for them, I definitely wouldn't be pumping anymore. I was nervous to try them because I thought it would hurt for the needle to stay in, but I can't say enough positive things about them. No extra pain, REALLY simple insertion, very rare to have a set failure.. Personally, I think they're pretty much perfect. :) You'll want to get the shortest needle (6mm) if you try these.

6. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

We use Sure-Ts without problems. Skinny kid too, and set is on the tush.

Prior to the Sure-Ts, we used Contact-Detach, which are basically the same thing.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Definitely try the SureTs. Otherwise, silhouettes with manual insertion should help.

8. SusanK

SusanK New Member

We have used Silhouettes for 5 1/2 years, inserted manually using an insertion angle of about 20 degrees. My daughter is thin and wears her site on her back. She no longer uses Emla cream, although she did when she was younger.

9. tom_ethansdad

tom_ethansdad Approved members

We use the silhouettes on E and he is very thin. But they work even on his thighs. But we have never used the sil-serter, always insert by hand so we have much more control over angle. The do occasionally get kinked, but usually when he has been playing rough with his siblings/friends rather than due to bad insertion. Might be worth a try for you.

10. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We are using the Mio sets, but started with Quicksets. She was very lean (3 years old and not 30lbs yet).. Putting in sets takes time to get use to. If you don't click those two buttons at the same time you'll go in sideways. If you pull the serter off a little to hard/fast you could pull the site back and then bend the cannula. There is definitely a learning curve to it, it takes time and can be so very frustrating. Keep at it, it gets better, I promise.

11. 22jules

22jules Approved members

You could try using the silserter and pinching up as well. My daughter is really lean and could not use stomach at all until we started pinching up while still using the inserter and they work wonderfully for 3 days.

Also, keep in mind since you are new to pumping that the highs could purely be related to changes needed in basal and might not be due to the sets failing. It does take a little bit of time to get all the "kinks" worked out--pun not intended!

12. EllenT

EllenT New Member

Thanks for all the advice!

We resumed pumping yesterday. I manually inserted the Silhouette in the top part of her tush. It seems to be holding 16 hours later. Thank you for all of the advice!