- advertisement -

MiniMed Duo (Europe Only)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, Jun 3, 2014.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

How does this differ from the MiniMed 530G + Enlite CGM? The online articles I've seen state that "the MiniMed Duo is used with the MiniMed Veo system." I don't understand, are these two separate items or one device?

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I believe the sensor and infusion set cannula are somehow combined in one site. So basically something that looks like a normal infusion set that also has a CGM sensor.

I don't know how thrilled I am about this. As the OP said, I wouldn't want to have to go through sensor warmup every 3 days. Every week is annoying at this point.

I would also like to point out that in true Medtronic fashion, when my son was diagnosed in 2007, we were told the infusion site/sensor combo would be out "soon." Seeing as how things tend to come out in the US at least a couple of years after they get their CE mark, apparently "soon" = "10 years" to Medtronic. No worries. That's just my kid's entire life.

ETA: Here's a bit more info: http://newsroom.medtronic.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251324&p=irol-newsArticle_Print&ID=1936694&highlight=

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

I also am not thrilled. It takes me two days to get stable readings in any sense from the start of my sensors and better accuracy by day three, I would be changing out sensors just as it was working. Plus think of all the times you rip out infusion sets or pull because of a poor or painful site or a clog? I love the idea of one insertion point but until they have sensors working very very accurately within a few hours forget it. I think this will backfire on them and drive kids and adults away from CGMS use since they will never get a big chunk of accurate days. I hope I am wrong and the sensor in this device is somehow way way way better
    But I doubt it.ali

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Here's an article from DiabetesMine
    http://www.diabetesmine.com/2014/06...ines-cgm-sensor-and-insulin-infusion-set.html

[h=1]NewsFlash: New Medtronic Device Combines CGM Sensor & Insulin Infusion Site[/h][​IMG]By MikeH on June 4, 2014
    Medtronic is leading the charge on new diabetes devices again, with a first-of-its-kind combo device launched in Europe that brings a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) sensor and insulin infusion set together into a single device with combined insertion capability!
    The company announced its launch of the Minimed Duo on Tuesday, after getting CE Mark approval for European sale early this week.
    The new Duo uses the Minimed Veo system (which is the 2009-approved European version of the new Minimed 530G system that was approved in the U.S. last fall) and the accompanyingEnlite sensor.[​IMG]
    The magic here is that the Duo merges the insertion needs for both insulin infusion and CGM monitoring into just one spot on the body — instead of two different sites on your body as has always been required. Note that this is not the full dream of a single cannula — you’d still have two puncture spots on the skin where the steel catheter and glucose sensor go in — but you’d only have to push one button on a single, combined inserter to place both your insulin pump and CGM automatically, plus the needles retract so you don’t have to see them.[​IMG]
    The downside? Since the CGM sensor and infusion set are now connected, you are forced to change them both out at the same time every three days. This of course means that the Medtronic CGM would go from 6-day wear to 3-day wear, which seems like a “a step back” from the current Veo system and Enlite sensor — although Medtronic disagrees that it’s a disadvantage.
    It’s a balancing of factors, the company tells us, and customer feedback for years has been clamoring for a single-site device. So Medtronic sees this as a trade-off that will appeal to many people.
    [​IMG]The new “MiniMed Duo Serter”

A smaller footprint on the body of course means less tape and less skin “real estate” to use and protect. Oh, and the news release says the Duo would include an “improved adhesive pad (that) accommodates movement without compromising adhesion” — which could be a big advantage in itself!
    Unfortunately, there’s no set timeline yet for bringing this Minimed Duo to the U.S., but Medtronic’s Karrie Hawbaker says the goal is to bring “a more frequent cadence of new technologies to the U.S. market… our current focus is on working with the FDA on a path toward commercialization of the next step toward an Artificial Pancreas system and future generations of the Enlite sensor.”
    In any case, this is huge, as it could set the precedent for safety and efficacy in an area that’s been seriously questioned over the years. But feasibility datapresented a year ago at the American Diabetes Association’s 73rd Scientific Sessions showed that a combined insertion device is feasible and could “enhance patient compliance and reduce the burden associated with diabetes management.”
    Indeed, the research behind it could significantly impact the success of other combined, single-site devices being developed by competitors — including Insulet, which is working with a still-unnamed partner to create an all-in-one OmniPod-CGM device.
    Right now, the Minimed Duo is available in mainland Europe and will be expanded to other countries on a “progressive rollout” during the next few months. No details on cost where available yet, but Medtronic says they hope to keep the cost of these combined sensor-infusion sets as close to the existing infusion set and CGM sensor price as possible.
    Medtronic is pretty familiar at being “first” when it comes to new diabetes devices. If you recall, Medtronic brought us the first-ever insulin pump in 2003 that wirelessly connected with a glucose meter; an integrated CGM-insulin pump device in 2006; and in 2009 introduced Low Glucose Suspend technology overseas (followed by Low Threshold Suspend here in the States in September 2013).
    Aside from this Minimed Duo, most of the attention’s been on completing their next-gen system known as the Minimed 640G, a predictive Low Threshold Suspend device able to shut off insulin in advance, whenever it predicts the onset of a low blood sugar. The company’s says it plans to launch that predictive device by year’s end in Europe, and some even believe they may get FDA approval for the U.S. sometime in 2015 (!) And that next-gen pump is rumored to have a completely different design than the “pager-look” we’ve become accustomed to seeing from Medtronic, so that’s exciting too![​IMG]
    At a local diabetes conference I attended recently in Indianapolis, Medtronic’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Fran Kaufman spoke about the company’s pipeline and all the coming D-tech we can expect. There was mention of the predictive technology, along with a nice explanation of how all of this is part of the larger Artificial Pancreas goal.
    It seems a good time to push the envelope on these kind of diabetes devices given the FDA’s new accelerated pathway on medical devices, aimed at quickening the pace of innovation. Hopefully the AP tech, which theFDA has now defined and includes the Minimed 530G system because of its ability to automatically suspend insulin delivery, falls under that umbrella.
    Short of bringing the new Minimed Duo and other new products to the States, it’s very exciting to see Medtronic rolling out this novel technology that certainly is influencing the rest of the diabetes device industry and brings us more options to help manage our diabetes.
    Of course, with this year’s ADA Scientific Sessions now less than 10 days away, we can’t wait to see and hear what may be showcased under the “yet to be approved” glass displays on the Expo floor in San Francisco… stay tuned for that!
    Meanwhile, how would you all feel about the trade-off the Medtronic Duo represents — is longer CGM sensor life or a single-site device more important?

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Seeing that picture makes me less "wow'd". There are still two skin punctures, so it's not an all-in-one, like I thought. I think this would be worse for us, because my daughter only likes to use her belly for sites, at least she uses the back of her arms for her dexcom. If we did both on her belly, it would be that much more use/abuse of her belly skin.

7. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

I've really never seen what the appeal is with a single site system. After a site change, and particularly in the case of failed site, is a priority time for us to have a functioning CGM. I'm wondering if you can still get away without warm-up if you have 2 transmitters like you can with the current system? Even if you could, what a pain that would be every 3 days!

I had my dd read the article. She initially thought it would be cool to have only one site. Once she got into the article & realized the sensor would be changed every 3 days she decided she'd rather wear 2 separate sites:p

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I don't see this as a terribly marketable product. It might be a stepping stone to something better (although exactly what, I don't know), but I don't think people are going to be clamoring for this thing.

As for the 640G potentially being out in the States by 2015, if you believe that, I need to talk to you about 14.5 million dollars I have in a bank account in Nigeria that I need your help transferring to an account in the U.S. We'll go halvsies.

9. rgcainmd

Even if my daughter was a fan of tubed pumps, this would be a no-go for her. Changing the CGM site every three days? Whose bright idea was this? Plus, as others have pointed out, it's still two cannulas (one is a steel set, I believe) and two devices (even if they are attached) so IMO it would use up pretty much the same amount of real estate. Also, I'd be concerned about the CGM's accuracy in light of the fact that it's so close to the infusion site. The only advantage I see is the ability to insert both at once, which IMHO is nothing to write home about. Sorry to be so negative.:p

10. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I thought infusion sites had to be 3 inches away from CGM sites? I always preferred angled sites, so that's a lose in that front alone for me.

11. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

Probably the finance department :pirate:

12. rgcainmd

Word!^^^

I almost feel sorry for Medtronic because they will almost surely lose money on this particular venture. The company is clearly excited about the release (in Europe) of this "innovative" piece of technocrap, I mean technology; Medtronic will be sorely disappointed after this device flops miserably. I'd be surprised if it even makes it to the States after what I believe will be its inevitable failure in the European market. Medtronic should have focused their efforts on a CGM as accurate as the Dexcom before taking the next step towards combined technology. I see this as analogous to spending a million dollars on a decorator for a poorly constructed McMansion.

13. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Well its nice to see people thinking about the problem......and version 1.0 is never perfect. Incremental steps. the knowledge gained by actually constructing something new etc.....this is how small things become big things.

Would I use that on my DS?

Nope.

Not yet.

But they are trying, and for that I am appreciative.

14. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

This was my question when I saw this as well.

15. Ali

Ali Approved members

Plus if you can put them that close why can we not just do this ourselves with the current product? I use straight in sets so I could just pop that in, then an inch away my Enlite. Tape separately or put a big bandage over and be good to go. Then every two to three days just re do the infusion set and move over an inch. Just means you can use them on the same side and within an inch or so of each other. I experience no pain with the Enlites. So I guess some folks might see a time? or reduced pain? issue with a one time insertion of both devices, but I can not imagine that is a driving factor for most users of both an infusion set and a CGMS. Ali

16. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I wonder if, on day 3, you could pop a cover on the insulin part and use an ordinary Mio for the next 3 days, leaving the cgms where it is. Is there any idea of cost? It looks as though it uses the same transmitter as the enlite.

17. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

its a no go with the steel set. Matt would hate that.

Keep trying Medtronic.