- advertisement -

Mini-Glucagon?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lee, May 27, 2013.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

Coco had a bad, stubborn low while out of town this weekend. After multiple treatments, we decided to do a mini-gluc. Worked like a charm with a nice 400 the next day. I KNOW we overtreated, but I want to ask...

When pulling up a stubborn low with a miniglucagon shot, do you give the 1 unit per age, ie - 15 units for a 15 year old, or do you use a smaller dose?

(We used 8 units)

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

this is what I have always heard and would use if need be.

I would say that maybe try a lower dose next time, keeping in mind that you might have to do another.

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

We have always used 5, retest in 15 minutes. If still under 40 give another 10 units. Out of 20 times in the past 10 years I can think of maybe twice that the additional shot was needed.

ETA:

Just to clarify since I realize that using mini-glucagon 20 times in 10 years is a lot most of those times were when I was younger and going through chemo. It was very difficult for me to eat carbs during lows back then (due to constant nausea) and it was easier for everyone involved to just give me a shot of glucagon.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Lee, did you have a regular syringe? I know that dd would probably freak if I came at her while she was conscious with the big red needle. :eek:

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Haha! I suggested it, but she was very argumentative and aggressive with this low. So I drew it up in the regular syringe and handed it to her and she freaked! So yes, we did use a regular one. It was just a super funny (if an extended low is ever funny) moment.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

My endo said if I do a miniglucagon shot, to do 15 units. I like Megan's way better though.
    So far I've never used glucagon, but have had a few instances where it would've been a good idea.

7. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Did the injection go in fatty part of body or muscle?

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

We've done this twice and both times we used 1U/year and it worked out fine - fine meaning BG came up fast and we spent the rest of the night getting it down - which is fine.

Now that we are at the point that we need 13U and our syringes go to 10 I'm not sure what I would do ... I think I would give 10 and wait.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

What syringes do you have that only go to 10 units? I thought the smallest were 0.3ml/cc which is 30 units?

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

We needed miniglucagon once.

We did 1/2 unit per year of age, which brought her up smartly. My thinking was we could always give the "other" 1/2 unit per year of age (if it was needed) later.. :cwds:

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

We've done the mini dose in fatty areas, just like a regular insulin dose.

For our 12 1/2 year old, I believe I did 10 units. Or somewhere around that. I wasn't overly worried about being exactly on. Hopefully you won't have to do it again, but maybe go for 10u next time.

Also, Sarah asked - we just keep a syringe taped to the glucagon. :)

12. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We've used it many times & always used 1/2u/yr of age. I think, IIRC, we've had to give a 2nd dose twice. We've never seen it raise BG over 250-ish.