- advertisement -

Mini-glucagon vs. glucagon shots

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CAGrandma, Sep 8, 2013.

1. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

In another forum we started talking about mini-glucagon shots. They are something I had not heard of before this summer. The doc at diabetes camp was explaining them, advocating for them, etc. Then I saw this old report: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/24/4/643.full

It looks like a mini-glucagon shot maybe something that could be used (for example) if a kid cant eat, is throwing up, etc. When the alternative maybe going to the ER for an IV.

What do you think?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

3. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

The annoying thing is that our boy has had Type 1 for 8 years and this year is the first we've heard of this. Course we've been lucky and haven't needed it, but how come it never came up before? We're pretty knowledgeable in general.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

We were told about mini doses pretty soon after dx (10 years ago). I have never done the full dose but have done mini doses a number of times with good results, always in the context of a stomach bug though sometimes a few days afterwards.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

We were never told about them either and I was always terrified to try them. I finally did when we wouldn't get the BS up. I will use it everyime we have a difficult low. It works like a charm.

7. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I learned about them here, as well! Luckily, dd has never had to use one! Knock on wood! :rolleyes:

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think our CDE did mention it early on, but it was only after hearing how the kids at camp actually preferred it to continued eating during a prolonged low, that I tried it myself. Now, my son will actually request it at night when he's having a low that just won't come up. He'll usually say something like "one more juice, then glucagon." It give a nice gentle increase that doesn't seem to produce a huge rebound later on.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Our endo has never discussed it. I'm not sure where I learned about it first...here or from the peds endo who runs the D camp my dd attends. Whatever the original source, I've been grateful many times during stomach bugs.