- advertisement -

Mine is, "control"... yours?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Clearly, I have an issue with the word, "control" when used in the context of D management. I was joking with our CDE the other day about this and how it almost caused me to come to blows with an ortho we were interviewing. As he kept blathering on about how he has a D kid who is not in "control" and how much more difficult it makes his work with the kid. ( won't be using his practice;))

Our CDE mentioned that the word that drives her nuts is "cheated" or "snuck" in relation to food and D. And I'd put that at maybe #3 on my list.

Have you got one that just makes you nuts?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Compliance. It just sounds so *legal*. And if you're non-compliant, then you're breaking the law of Diabetes control.;)

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I'm with you - I hate the word control! I also dislike "non-compliant" especially when used by people who don't have personal experience with diabetes.

Oh and I hate the term "diabetic diet". As in "she's not following her diabetic diet".

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Stable

As in "will her numbers ever be stable enough to do things on her own?"

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh yes! definitely control as in "You can come stay with me and grampa when your diabetes is "under control" Ugh! makes me want to get her "under control" :rolleyes:

Second would be "easy" as in "it should be "easy" to keep his blood sugars under "control", just count carbs and bolus for them!"

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

So we've got:

Control
    Compliance
    Diabetic-diet
    Stable
    Easy

I'm with you on "compliance" really it's, "non-compliant" that really gets me cranky.

Honestly, I feel like the whole "business" needs a new vocabulary.

There was a good blog post not too long ago on this ... I think it was written by a woman, hmmm ... anyone remember this?

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

"get it all leveled out, then it will be better" yeah until I eat again!

8. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Bad. As in the bad diabetic robbed a bank.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Control and Compliance are my hated words

10. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I agree - I hate both of those words - had a "fellow" use uncontrolled and noncompliant because we were in a state of fluctation at the time of the appointment. Needless to say I called back and talked to our cde and explained that you don't use those words with a parent who is trying very hard to manage her kid's diabetes.

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I don't like either compliant or non-compliant. They just seem condescending to me and I hate that.

12. Megszers

Megszers Approved members

This made me laugh, sounds just like something my dad would tell me.

13. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I hate that the official diagnosis code the endo has to use is diabetes mellitus type 1, without complications, UNCONTROLLED.

It actually means that he can't control the amount of sugar in the blood, but I still hate reading that on all of the paperwork.

14. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

I would have to say "controlled" and "stable". And you have to hear them almost everyday.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  15. CaelinsMommy

CaelinsMommy Approved members

All of the above plus "levels" as in, "how are her levels?" Normally asked by someone who has taken no interest in actually learning about diabetes but should, such as a grandparent :rolleyes:

16. MichS

MichS Approved members

I agree with all of the above, not sure I could rate them. But another one that really bugs me is "brittle" wtf is that?? (too harsh??, sorry!:cwds:)

17. joan

joan Approved members

this and " does he have the good diabetes or the bad one?

18. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

"Uncontrolled", for sure. Whenever I go in for a blood test, the lab papers always read that and it makes me inexplicably sad, for some reason. It also reads it on my prescription papers.

"Type one Diabetes". If I'm being completely honest, It makes me mad that I even have to know what those words mean. *shrug*

19. LARSMS

LARSMS Approved members

I am not crazy about "brittle". The school nurse referred to my kid this way a few weeks ago. She goes through periods like everyone else when her numbers are nutty. It happens. When I hear the word I picture a hunched-over 105 year-old-lady with serious osteoporosis. My kid is far from brittle.

I also am not crazy about the looks. You know when someone finds out your kid is on a pump or gets shots and their eyes widen and they are kind of struck dumb for a bit before they say something like "Oh geez, she has to take insulin?". I am also not fond of "You look tired. Don't worry so much. Just get some sleep."

20. Lee

Lee Approved members

Bwahaha! I Always think that with Brittle- my other one is sneaking...

Anytime coco is running higher, my mom says , and I quote - "Well, you just have to get her to stop sneaking food" :eek:

Usually infront of Coco - who then looks exactly like this :rolleyes: