- advertisement -

Milk.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rukio, Jun 6, 2010.

?

Do you need milk?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. no

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. don't know.

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Rukio:

Why are you asking these questions on this board? You have a board of vegans and vegetarians for support, right? So why ask a group of diabetics and their parents? If the question is, is being a vegan specifically bad for diabetics, the answer is no. I was vegan at diagnosis and my health team then and since has continually said that being a vegan is not a bad thing for a diabetic, and may be a good thing, except that in the hospital it is inconvenient.

I became a vegan at eleven. I did it because I wanted to. I didn't ask anybody about it; in fact I had never met a vegan at that point. I had learned the word in class, from a teacher who had said how weird it was and how impossible. People accepted that I was becoming a vegan even though it seemed truly bizarre to them because I had no doubts about it whatsoever.
    If you are going to become a vegan while you are still a preteen, then you need to be really sure. Because sometimes it will mean that you will need to cook for yourself or go hungry, that people will make fun of you, and so forth (and if you were a guy, the teasing would be double!). If you're not sure, it will be no fun. Many adults become vegans or vegetarians with support from their friends and community, and that helps them. For a child to become vegan in a family of meat eaters requires that the person be very very resolute.

2. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I don't. To answer about food/hungry: I'm not a preteen, I'm technically a teen now, and my family has no faith in this lasting, so yesterday for lunch I made my own lunch. xD and my own breakfast yesterday and today, and that is quite frankly a rare occurrence with me. :X
    And to answer the rest of your post:
    My grandma has no faith in this lasting (p=grandpa m=grandma R=me)
    p: Aren't you going to have a hot dog?
    R: I'll pass, I actually have more energy since I stopped eating meat. *babbles to corgi*
    P: Well, you need to eat it
    R: Why?
    P: Because its good for you and it will give you energy
    R: Thanks, but I'll pass
    P: *leaves room*
    M: *enters room*
    P: *re-enters room* We seem to have a vegetarian on our hands, she wont eat a hot dog.
    M: So? It wont last, she'll break down next time we cook steaks on the grill.
    R: grin and resist a laugh.
    P: *leaves room*
    R: *Gets cumbers and leaves room*

3. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I agree with the posters that said you need to do what you are asked in your Grandparents home. Apparently you live with them and need to respect their wishes. You seem to be very unhappy living there and yet have stated you don't want to live with your mother. Perhaps counseling is in order. Then you wouldn't strive to get attention from so many adult strangers.

4. Rukio

Rukio Banned

...I strive to get attention from adult strangers...yeah right. I'm just asking a question of opinion on this, and what gives you the slightest indication I "want attention" Perhaps I don't. Perhaps, I just want to be able to post an opinion and ask for other peoples opinions. Same as you might.

:/ sorry, bad day for me.

5. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Maybe if you posted it on the proper board it might go over better. This is for parents of children with Type 1 diabetes. Do you have a question about the diabetes aspect of it, insulin adjustments or anything at all to do with milk vs no milk and it's implications on diabetes? Again, maybe look at it from that point of view.

6. Rukio

Rukio Banned

HUGHFUIHSFUIHFUIDHUFIHD! My grandma said I had to eat lunch, so I said Okay, I'd get some cucumbers and green beans and lettuce, and a few blackberries. Well, what does she do? Says, oh no, your getting your normal at Wendy's. I said that I'd rather just have a salad, that I would eat around the grilled chicken, but she kept saying hamburger...so yeah. Now what am I suppose to do, I don't want to even look or think about a hamburger. She doesn't get it, or she doesn't care. I'll edit later and state what she got. But urgh, this makes me mad.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I guess I'm not sure why you're talking so much about this on a diabetes forum. ;) You'd probably get better advice if you posted on a vegetarian / vegan forum.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

At best it belongs in the OT forum, I'd say.

Obviously milk is not essential for survival. Is there really any question about that?

9. Haleysmom2214

Haleysmom2214 Approved members

I give my girls milk. For Haley who has d it is awesome for her bg. But we do skim or 1%. My son hates milk so we buy oj for him with calcum and vitamin d in it. I am a real health nut. Vitamins are a good way. But it is all in what different families want to do.