- advertisement -

Milk.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rukio, Jun 6, 2010.

?

Do you need milk?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    46.5%
  2. no

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. don't know.

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. Rukio

Rukio Banned

I got in a disagreement with my family about whether or not I have to drink milk. Their entire opinion was based on a commercial, which I pointed out commercials are just used to sell a product, and that the ad is kept up by a milk company. Well, that ticked them off. So basically I had to drink my milk before I got to eat any more. :confused: So, who is right, do you have to drink milk for your "teeth and bones" or not? And I would like your opinion grounded in fact, not an ad.
    Edit: I am not voting, since I would like other peoples opinions.
    Edit2: I found this site, and by the way, the milk I was referring to is 2% cow milk. http://ezinearticles.com/?Do-You-Need-Milk?&id=76652

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I don't drink milk, and I'm fine. :p But I'm a pretty small sample size.

Also, I drink soy milk, almond milk, oat milk and rice milk. Just not dairy milk.

3. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

I'd have to say no, since my daughter's allergic to cow milk and is doing just fine. However, she does drink soy milk and take vitamins to make up for it. And I really dislike milk, so don't drink it much either. So, I'd say no you don't need milk, but you do need the nutrients in it.

Kelly

Emily 8--dx @ 2 1/2, mult food allergies
    Kaitlyn 4

4. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

I agree, you need the nutrients in it. I know several people who don't drink cow's milk but we all need the calcium and vit D in it.

5. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

you can get the nutrients found in milk in other things, so it is not necessary. My youngest has never had a drop of cow milk and she is fine. There are studies that show that milk can cause osteoperosis (no clue how to spell that lol), which all the ads state that it prevents:rolleyes:

6. purplewowies

purplewowies Approved members

As long as you're getting enough calcium and vitamin D, you don't need milk, and even if you aren't, you can still get the nutrients in milk in other ways.

Seriously, I usually only drink milk while at school (and with cereal), and my only problem is low vitamin D, but it's not because of my milk consumption.

7. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

I really don't think so. There are plenty of other options that can give you the nutrition you need. And as mentioned above plenty of people are allergic to dairy and still grow up healthy.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Milk is for baby cows. You do need calcium for balanced nutrition, but there are many ways to get it from other foods.

9. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Sums it up right there xD.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

There is a teen section of this forum, maybe you could post things like this over there, you may get more responses.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

Milk is an easy way to get calcium and Vitamin D, but certainly not the only way and not the NECESSARY way to get them..

12. LizinTX

LizinTX Approved members

Put me in the "no" category too. I don't drink milk and haven't for several years now. My daughter is extremely allergic to all dairy products, so she also doesn't "need" it to be healthy, in her case if she drank it she would be sick.

I was always told, that milk turns a 50 lb calf into a 500lb calf in six months; not something I really want to be six months from now.:eek:

Another thought is that humans are the only mammals that continue to drink milk after they are weaned. Now you can give a dog or cat milk to drink and they will, but you have to offer it to them; left on their own all mammals will drink water--except humans.

13. shekov

shekov Approved members

I voted no since obviously you can get the nutrients found in cow milk from other sources BUT if you are a child and your parent is telling you to drink your milk, DRINK IT.

If I were your parent I'd have you show me how you plan to get the nutrients from other sources, have a plan how and where to purchase these items, and how to make up the cost difference, if any. Then I'd be happy to work with you. Heck, I'd probably join you since I'm not a huge milk fan.;)

14. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Aha, I would, if they would give me a chance to. But really? Its a *insert grandmas unwed last name* thing. Bull headed stubborn as can be. (I'm probably the least of all them, unless its something I ish obsessed with ;;. Of course, my family adores milk, and believe it should be drank at every meal and every chance BG allows for it. Personally? I use to like it a lot, but in recent days the taste is simply to gross for me. :X

15. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Your parents house = your parents rules. If I told my child to drink his milk then that is what I expect them to do. It's a parent thing...you will understand some day. I never side against a parent even if I disagree. Suck it up, drink your milk. If this is your biggest problem of the day or even the week, consider yourself lucky!

16. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Trust me, this isn't even my biggest problem of the hour. I'm just wondering what you guys opinions are.

17. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I put dont know. I know that a growing child does need the nutrients found in milk. Calcium is also found in some leafy greens like kale but are you really going to eat enough kale to get the calcium from it? If you dont care for milk or the lactose bothers you there are other choices such as cheese, both hard and soft cheeses have calcium and vitamin D. Yogurt or ice cream are good choices too and most yogurts contain acidophilus which is something that is always good for your body. Many orange juices are now fortified with calcium and vitamin D. Next time you see your dietician discuss this with her and see what other options there are

18. Rukio

Rukio Banned

Only because I'm bored....:X
    Calcium in Dairy Products
    Skim Milk 1 cup 301
    Whole Milk 1 cup 290
    Plain Low fat Yogurt 1 cup 415
    Cow Milk Cottage Cheese (Paneer) 1 cup 208
    Baffalo Milk Cottage Cheese (Paneer) 1 cup 480
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Calcium in Beans & Grains
    White beans 3/4 cup 120
    Navy beans 3/4 cup 94
    Black Turtle beans 3/4 cup 75
    Chickpeas (Chhole) 3/4 cup 58
    Tofu 150g 350
    Soy bean curd slab 150g 310
    Cooked Soy bean 1 cup 130
    Instant oats, 1 pkt 165
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Calcium in Nuts
    Almonds roasted 1/4 cup 93
    Almonds butter 2 Tbsp 88
    Sesame seeds 1/4 cup 50
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Calcium in Vegetables & Fruits
    Cabbage/bok choy 1/2 cup 190
    Turnip greens 1/2 cup 104
    Broccoli 1/2 cup 33
    Okra 1/2 cup 65
    Orange 1/2 cup 52
    Orange juice fortified with calcium 1/2 cup 165
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Age Daily Calcium Intake
    (mg)
    0-6 month 210
    7-12 month 270
    1-3 year 500
    4-8 year 800
    9-18 year 1300
    19-50 year 1000
    Over 50 year 1200

Link to site with info: http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrition/calcium.html

19. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Half the world has lactose intolerance. No, you do not need milk. You do need calcium and vitamin D, but there are other ways to get them.

20. Rukio

Rukio Banned

:X Give me a minute and I can make a list of foods with calcium and/or vitamin D, if anyone wants. I already listed the Calcium requirements for different ages, and a list of foods with calcium.

Mmmmhhhmmm. I'm hungry. I'll be back with some blackberries in a minute or two. =3 So go ahead and make requests if anyone wants a list of food with vitamin D ect. and I will find them.