- advertisement -

Military Parent having day care issues

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by malave, Apr 6, 2009.

1. malave

malave Approved members

I have a 6YO who was diagnoised with T1 less than a year ago. He has been attending a Air Force after school program since August 08. The providers there were trained on administering insulin wiht the novolog pen, and all the other things that go along with caring for a diabetic child. Then a few weeks ago they produced a policy letter dated 2005, saying under NO circumstances was the staff allowed to provide any child insulin therapy. So now either my husband or I have to leave work and go there and give our child his insulin.

I am trying to find any one who is miltary and has thier child attending day care through a military facility. I know I can not be the only person to have this happen to them!!!

HELP PLEASE!!!

2. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I'm am an Army Brat. And I went to the Youth Services provided by the army base. My first question would be do you have your child enrolled in the EFMP (Exceptional Family Member Program)??

That may help a bit for child care. And once you have a EFMP, the staff have to agree to training and provide accomodations to your child while in their care. Such as carb count, alternative snacks or meals, etc.

Second, can you upload that 2005 letter? I was diagnosed in 2005 and they were still able to administer insulin.

3. CrystalK

CrystalK Approved members

I would check with the Jag office. Being a military member they have to allow you these services - so there has to be something out there saying they do have to administer "life-saving medication". Also, I would check with your DH's commander or 1st Shirt. They may be able to help.

Good luck!

4. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom Approved members

we are also military and have heard the same thing. i stay home with the kids so it hasn't been an issue yet for us, she doesn't go aftercare.

i spoke with the nurse who works at the CDC here and she said basically what it sounds like your letter states- that they can check blood sugar but not administer insulin.

we have debated starting this battle, because i think technically they have to provide the same care for your child that they provide for everyone else. so if all the other kids are having a snack, yours should get too as well, without you leaving work to give the shot. if it is federally funded, which i would assume they all are, they can't deny you this. it is your child's right.

we haven't started the battle yet, only cause as i said right now it doesn't affect us, and we've had too many other things to deal with. i actually will be seeing someone shortly who had a child diagnosed last fall and is dealing with the same thing as you. i'll ask her how it is going.

like a previous poster said, i would recommend enrolling in EFMP if you haven't already done so. see if they can help you. if not see if they have any suggestions. i guess it depends how far you want to take this. if it was me, i'd be going right up the chain of command, cause that just isn't right.

good luck! keep us posted.
    jessica

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I would "think" that maybe they do have to provide it, but I know that we had a member last year that had lots of trouble with an idiot nurse at her DoD school.

While the federal law states they need accomodations under ADA, sometimes if its done under the umbrella of something like the DoD, they don't always have to follow the same rules. Screwy, I know, which is why you really need to look into whether they have to accomodate you or not.

6. Kaylesdad

Kaylesdad Approved members

I just want to thank you all for your service to our Country, it is unfortunate to say the least that you even need to fight for what should be done for you without question. I am aware that the military unfortunatly does not have to play by the same rules as other government funded organizations and rules against law suits naming the military cloud things even more.

I'm sorry to not have the answers to your questions but as someone who was present and disabled in the line of duty during September 11th, Thank you.

Rob O'Donnell
    ADA School Advocate
    NYPD Homicide Detective, Retired

7. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

The daycare only has to test BG....they do not have to adminsiter insulin. ADA fought against daycare discriminatation with Kindercare and LePEtit and here are the settlements...

http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/discrimination/school/kindercare_agreement.jsp

Read these settlements

http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/attorneymaterials/training-public.jsp

http://www.ada.gov/lapetite.htm

Contact 1-800-Diabetes They may have additional advice

Hope this helps,
    Kathy

8. Riley'sMom

thank you for your service as well!
    you are right, it is a shame to have to fight for things like that.
    that is interesting about the military having a different set of rules. althought this doesn't apply to us right now, i think i am going to follow up with this and see if i can find the code that states what the after care program does/does not have to provide.

thanks.
    but isn't that different because those day care programs are corporate owned and not federally funded? it's like the difference between what a public vs private school needs to provide?

9. Denise in CT

Denise in CT Approved members

I'm a military spouse too, but unfortunately have no answers for you.

I am however, faced with 'dealing' with the military soon about test strips, of all things! TriCare approved Kathleen's Animas Ping pump last fall. I've had to get One Touch test strips from our local grocery store pharmacy as the base pharmacy does not carry them (and will not, I asked). I get a letter stating that they want us to switch meter and strip brands to something they carry (Precision, Accucheck and one other I forget) and get the strips for free OR continue getting One Touch strips and our co-pay goes from $9 per box of 100 to $22 for each box!

I wll pay that only because Kathleen chose the pump SHE is comfortable with and I will not ask her to carry around another meter just because the strips are free. TriCare approved this pump and meter-remote and I feel it's just not right that they are asking her to switch.

I have not contacted the military regarding this yet - I have to sit and compose my words carefully before I speak. lol

Sorry I hijacked the post...good luck with your 'battle'.

10. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I am assuming your child is attending a program at a base Youth center, and that the staff had been administering the insulin via pen as needed since they were dx'd? Do you know what prompted the change? Usually people don't whip out old policy letters unless something/someone has gotten their feathers ruffled over something.

Not sure what installation you are at, but all the CDCs/Youth Centers have a Medical Liason who is appointed by the hospital/clinic command to provide oversight/guidance for the centers, typically a family practice or general medicine doc and may/may not have any interest/expertise per se in T1 needs. You might ask your peds endo to dialogue w/ this doc to see what/why the policy is, and what possible resolutions there might be for your child to continue attending the center. I can already hear the suggestion you look at the list of base daycare providers that open spaces for special needs kids (never my first choice but I know some really like home vs center-based care). You might ask how other injectable meds are handled, i.e. epi pens.

Is it feasible to minimize the need for injections at the center, i.e. carb free snacks there or potentially uncovered snack? Perhaps the school could check before transfer and cover any impending highs before he goes.

My son was in the base CDC when he was dx'd the summer before kindergarten. Once school started, he attended a parks and rec before/after program, but he did continue to go to the base Youth center for Parent's night out and also some of the school vacation breaks. The staff did check BGs but I did always leave my job and do his injections/pump boluses myself since he was first newly dx and later, attended too irregularly to expect someone to remember how/what to do. If your supervisor needs help understanding why you/spouse needs to leave work daily to do care, your shirt could probably help work out a solution.

11. Riley'sMom

we get all of our supplies from Liberty (mail order, no copay) with the exception of insulin and glucagon which i get on post. they send a 3 month supply, we use freestyle test strips and i haven't had a problem getting them. have you tried ordering from them? let me know if you need more info.

12. malave

malave Approved members

My commander is actively participating with the issue. They are all very supportive, I am very greatful.

13. malave

malave Approved members

This is an Air Force youth program, and I have learned that the Army and AF have different policies. The Army still has no issue with administering insulin. The AF youth center is willing to work with us ONLY if my son Alex gets a pump.

14. malave

malave Approved members

Thank you. I am fighting the fight and hopefully when you are ready to enroll your child you will not have to deal with this!!
    I am currently working with the Air Force Chief of Youth Programs and thier medical staff. They are still under the impression that the insulin is in a vial and that the staff would have to measure out his dosage. My sons endo is also working with the medical staff at AF level, explaining how much more advanced the treatment of diabetes is. It seems that each of the different branches in the DOD have thier own view, adn the AF is the only one that is against it.

15. malave

malave Approved members

Thank you!! The AF has been great with everything up till now. Hopefully this issue will be resolved.

16. malave

malave Approved members

We are at Shaw AFB
    This started when the Youth Center had an inspection...and the inspector freaked out. When my son enrolled the commander of the Medical Treatment Facility here went over and trained the entire staff on caring for a D Child. Then trained the senior staff on how to use his Novolog pen, and how to inject him.

I can change his snacks to no carb (on a 1:15 ratio), however; he will also need care during the summer break. So, changing his snacks doesn't really help.

17. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

Ugh, we got that letter, too. We use the Freestyle Flash strips because that is what her pump takes (we use the attached Cozmonitor)--and what her Navigator CGMS uses. They'll pay for Freestyle LITE but not the old strips.

I know that Tricare will pay for non-formulary items if a physician writes a note explaining it's necessary; I wonder if this will work for strips?