- advertisement -

military 1yr old looking for best air force base with pedi endo for type 1

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Team Cailin, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Team Cailin

Team Cailin Approved members

Hello, we are new to this. We found out Feb 19th that our 13 month old daughter is type 1. We are in the Air Force getting ready to move from Japan. What are some good places to look at. Sorry for the vague question, we are currently in Japan its been a long week. Thank you for any help or suggestions.

2. njswede

njswede Approved members

Hi! I have a close friend who may have some insight into this. He's in San Antonio (Randolph AFB) and he got good care for a child with a condition that required an endo. Send me a PM and I'll get you two in touch.

3. njswede

njswede Approved members

Just talked to my friend and he says the pedi endo at "SAMMC" (San Antonio Military Medical Center) is great and he's been using them for years. I hope this is helpful.

4. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

Kessler has a peds Endo in their med group. The one we saw several years ago was great,but we didn't see her for diabetes,because it hadn't entered our life yet.

5. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I sent you a PM too. San Antonio's SAMMC would be the AF duty station location w/ the most comprehensive medical services offered within the military MTFs. Other locations you might have to procure services from civilian providers and travel if not in immediate community. Doable later down the road but for now w/ a newly dx'd toddler SA sure would seem easiest if it can work for the AD member's duty needs too.

6. Team Cailin

Team Cailin Approved members

Good day,

I apologize for the late response. We have been all over the place since we found out. We are currently in Hawaii at Tripler getting the proper medical care for her finally. Thank you so much for the info and we have submitted our EFMP package to get the relocation done. Phoenix, AZ/San Antonio, TX/Newport,VA/Dallas,TX and Salt Lake City,UT. We will find out sometime after April 13th.

Currently she is all over the place number wise..16-500+ at any given time. She is still her normal self which scares the wife a lot. She is hyperglycimc (sp) and she needs to be checked every 2-3hrs. We are still learning so much, but we are getting better with understanding this issue and we hope to become a huge part of this forum. Thank you again for all of the help.

7. njswede

njswede Approved members

Happy to help! Good luck with everything and please stay in touch. And thank you for your service! I've learned through my Air Force friend that caring for a child's condition while in the military presents some very unique challenges.

8. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

I am so sorry that you have to join our club, especially with her being so young!!! But we are all so glad you are here. Being from San Antonio originally myself, I hope that is where you end up. :)