advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Middle School--Texting, bolusing etc.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom264, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

So dd starts middle school in September, which is considerably larger facility than each individual elementary school and the nurses' office is quite a way off from most classrooms.

I'd like to start using a cell phone so she can text me her sensor numbers and BG numbers and I can communicate with her to treat lows in class. At our first meeting the school tells me "no one" has a cell phone in the middle school. (Well, my older daughter and her six friends all have cell phones and use theirs at lunch etc!:rolleyes:)

We also communicate well by cell phone for summer camp and at sleep-unders.

1. Anyone else have to fight this battle for cell phone priveleges in school? Any good stategies?

I'd love to have her bolus the same way (With me on the cell phone) but the nurses are already uncomfortable. (On a side note--I'm not clear why an RN has to oversee a child bolus on a pump --especially if I'm on the phone-- they aren't drawing up a medicine.)

2. Any 6th graders out there bolus on their own with direction from parents? As it stands, she will be allowed to continue testing wherever she is, and to treat lows. But will need to go to the nurse for bolusing and corrections.

Giving up a fair bit form elementary school. Want to make sure she has what she needs.

3. Anyone get to "meet the team" prior to classes and give a "d" talk and answer questions?

Any additional advice? Thanks!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Do I remember correctly that your DD is in the 10-12 age range (sorry, not from the US so I'm not sure when middle school begins)? I think that absolutely she should be able to bolus without the nurse (with your instruction) if she feels comfortable doing that.

I was diagnosed in early July, and the school year over here finishes around July 20th. In that first short period after I was diagnosed and before summer vacation began, when I was still a bit unsure on dosing, I would use the phone in the school office to ring the CDE if I needed clarification on anything. If they won't budge on the cellphone thing, perhaps they have phones in the school that she would be able to use? I know that at my school there are phones in most of the classrooms.

3. 22jules

22jules Approved members

I think we will be in the same boat as you. My daughter is going to middle school --here its starts in 7th--but in elementary school she would call me with her bg and would bolus while I was on the phone. It worked well for us--no problems.

Not sure if middle school will allow because they also say no cell phones allowed. But, we also don't have a nurse so not sure how they can enforce her not having anybody to go over things with. The one thing that I am wondering is if it will make Erin uncomfortable to call/txt me since no one is allowed. In elementary, which is considerably smaller, everyone knew her and that she had phone privileges and left her alone. Actually, once or twice a supervisor would question her but she would just tell them she has type 1 and principal's permission. Middle school is so much larger with so many new kids and not sure if she wants everyone knowing her business.

I have no idea--but I know that I am going to push hard for phone privileges because I don't think she should have to be all alone with this at 12!

Also, I am going to push to meet teachers before school starts because Erin will test in class and I don't think its fair to Erin or her teachers if they don't know what's going on. The assistant principal said we would talk in Aug. so hopefully we can get it worked out. Thankfully my older daughter just left this school as is very well known with the administrators--she won the principal's award which is the highest honor, so hopefully a little nepotism will come into play.

4. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, Emma, she is 11. The classes do have phones, but my goal is for her not to draw attention to herself. I thought she could test at the desk she is sitting at and then text me numbers.

I guess, another good question to ask is: At what point should I be confident that dd can assess her CGM and glucometer info and take appropriate action to raise BG independently of me OKing that decision. Hmm. :confused: Not sure I could do that for the whole day.

5. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, definiteyl use that nepostism card!

DD has been testing in the classroom since second grade. I've been told she can do that in Middle school, but I hope that the "Culture" there doesn't dictate that she will go to the nurse to check. That's another thing that concerns me. The MS nurse told me all 4 current diabetics at the MS check in the nurses' office and not in class.

6. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

Middle School

DS is starting Middle School in August. The last week of sixth grade we wrote the use of cell phone for D needs in the 504 plan. We know they have a general policy of "No Use" of phones during class time so we shall see. We also have a Non D daughter who finished school there and for the past 2 years did text from class now and then and used her phone at lunch. That school has D students stop at the nurse throughout the day but also also know they travel to other schools so are not in the office at all times. Our thoughts are to see how the first weeks go to determine what we need to let go and what we need to push for. I'd like to have testing and any needed bolus as well as any treatment of lows be done right in the class. We were really blessed by a great team at the grade school level so hope for more of the same for 7th and 8th.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie has had a cell phone at school since 4th grade and last year (6th grade) she began using it to text me her numbers. She does all her care independent of the nurse: bolusing and correcting and testing whenever and where ever she feels the need. School has been generally not obstructionist but has, down to an individual, met the notion of her having a cell with some suspicion that she would abuse the privilege. I simply insisted that she would not and in time they came to realize that she doesn't even see it as an "abusable" tool ... it's just part of her D bag.

Good luck. I hope you can modify their way of thinking ;)

8. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Sarah,

Does Maddie do her corrections and bolusing independently of you, or do you always oversee them via text?

I think in our school there is some clause that the kids have to go to the nurses' office to bolus until they are completely managing Diabetes on their own. What I'm not clear on is whether texting me, would consititute her not being independent (if that makes sense).

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

For run of the mill numbers she does it all on her own ... if she texts me with a 55 going into lunch I'll text back and ask her to check in with me in an hour or so. Also, if she texts a 345 going into lunch I'll reply. She packs lunch, so that helps and she feels her lows so that also provides some comfort.

Our "rule", such as it is, is that we will be in closer contact (and sometimes that means that she will actually call or I will call her or text her to tell her to call me) if she has a bg that she knows will "concern" me.

Maddie stopped going to the nurse to bolus in 5th grade. It was a gradual process that started with in-classroom testing and snack and correction bolusing in 3rd grade under the eyes of a shared aid - then independently in 4th with one stop by the nurse at lunch, to 5th and not seeing the nurse at all, to entering Middle school last fall, and moving between classes, carrying her D stuff everywhere and using the cell phone daily.

Hope that made sense :p

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Great idea to put the cell phone use right in the 504. I like that.

Dd does testing right in the class already and I think it is a real timesaver.

11. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden is going into seventh grade. In sixth grade, she did all of her at-school care on her own without any communication from me. She was ready to do this, though, because she'd been on her own several hours a week with gymnastics. She texted me when she needed to for things, but most of the time she handled it. Once or twice, I called the nurse and asked her to check in on Jayden, which she gladly did.

We did write the cell phone usage into the 504. It wasn't much of an issue...and since Jayden has unlimited bathroom privileges anyway, she just went to the bathroom and texted me! :)

12. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

That really should be the goal for our CWD's I think!

13. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Is "admisters insulin independently" also part of Jayden's 504 (or DMMP)?

:D Ha!

Thanks everyone for this great advice. I'm beginning to feel this should be doable.

14. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

Alexander started carrying his cell phone last school year (4th grade) - it's in his 504 plan as our school has an anti-electronics policy. He has the ability to call me from the school phone if he prefers (also in his 504 plan).

We live in CT - our state has a lovely law that says the school nurse must have the final say if a child is to "self medicate" in a school setting. Yes, our doctor has said it's okay, yes, we the parents have said it's okay but not the nurse.

So therefore he must go to the nurse to bolus anytime so that she can "supervise" the self medicating. That means any snack, lunch, correction.

This year DS will be in Middle School (grade 5 for us), and I'm not happy that he has to walk to an entirely different end of the building to bolus. He will be missing a LOT of academic time.

Thing that kills me about it all is that he technically self medicates all day long via his basal rate. :rolleyes: He's never, ever over bolused - EVER anywhere. Technically they are breaking the law anyway since the medication isn't in it's original container locked up anyhow. Ridiculous.

I agree with putting a cell phone into her 504 plan. Good luck!

15. Ali

Ali Approved members

Would a federally mandated 504 trump a state law?? i.e. if you had your 504 list that your child was to do all medical care? This might be an interesting case to bring to an advocate group. :confused:Ali

16. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

My dd has a texting phone for emergencies but didn't have to use it in middle school so far (6th grade). She began interpreting her CGM data and bolusing/eating independently in 4th grade, and sees the nurse only if her omnipod or sensor fails during the school day. I think that by 6th grade any child could probably be 99% independent, just give them a chance over the summer to make decisions with oversight, then they'll probably be ready by the school year. If they make the wrong decision the CGM will remind them! I would recommend at first to set short snooze times on the CGM, maybe 1 hour high and 20 min. low until they get the hang of it. We currently use 1:15 high and 0:45 low.

17. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Interesting point. I've been search what consititues "Self-directed" so I found this:

What is the minimum criteria for considering a student to be self-directed?

[FONT=Bembo,Bembo]Determination as to whether a student should be considered self-directed should be based on the student?s cognitive and/or emotional development rather than age or grade. Factors such as age of reason and mental/emotional disability are some additional considerations to be looked at in determining a child?s ability to be self-directed. Usually a student may be considered to be self-directed if he/she is consistently able to do all of the following:
    • Identify the correct medication (e.g., color, shape)
    • Identify the purpose of the medication (e.g., to improve attention)
    • Determine that the correct dosage is being administered (e.g., one pill)
    • Identify the time the medication is needed during the school day (e.g., lunch time, before/after lunch)
    • Describe what will happen is medication is not taken (e.g., unable to complete school work)
    • Refuse to take medication, if student has any concerns about its appropriateness
    [/FONT]Wow. That's not much! She can already do these things.

18. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, I'm trying that with camps this summer. Starting next week. Just got her a phone. Currently she does her boluses, but someone verifies.

I need to let her make those decisions, I think.
    I currently have CGM at 50 min high and 20 min low.

Sometimes dd still does not attend to the alert until it has gone off several times. Not sure how to combat this?

19. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

That's just awful. So sorry this is happening. I wish I had something constructive to offer, but ignorance can be so hard to combat.

20. 22jules

22jules Approved members

I hear you! My daughter also has been testing right at her desk since 4th grade and I don't want to have her have to go to the nurse's office, etc. either. I like the fact that she has all her stuff with her, doesn't hide anything and takes care of business. When I first initially approached the assistant principal I talked about setting up a meeting etc. and mentioned that Erin likes to test in class-she kind of said "of course, and she can go to the bathroom...". You should have seen the look on my daughter's face. She then just politely said, "no, I don't want to test in the bathroom and gave her a very sweet smile."

It is so hard when they have other d that maybe don't follow the same course as you do. There is a girl who is 3 years ahead who is on mdi and always went to the nurse's office to give insulin and test bs. And, another 2 years ahead who goes to the bathroom to bolus and test--the sad thing with that girl is that my older daughter just went to the movies with her on Wed.--first time they have ever done anything together. She knows that Jessica has a younger sister with d but after the movie when they went to get frozen yogurt, she didn't test and didn't bolus even though she has a pod. I really hope that Erin continues to take care of herself regardless--all her friends are so supportive and she doesn't hide anything and I want it to stay that way~! But when even well-meaning principals suggest that she can go hide in a bathroom what are these kids supposed to think?