- advertisement -

middle of the night basal needs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, May 11, 2011.

1. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana's have been going up too (she's 10). Though not as high as 2 units per hour, her basal needs between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. are much higher than during the day.
    During the day she is about .25 to .30. In the early mornings, she is .55.

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Us too. DD's basal rate is lowest from 12:00 a.m. to 4:30 a.m., then it goes up a bit, which seems to help with her waking readings.

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

For us, typically:
    10 PM - midnight 1.50/hr
    midnight - 3 AM 2.00/hr
    3 AM - 4:30 AM 0.75/hr
    4:30 AM - 10:30 AM 2.00/hr

It varies a lot, though. There is a temp basal adjustment needed every night.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

DD's basal needs are highest this time of night if she is having a growth spurt, otherwise they are pretty similar to the rest of the day.

On MDI we found that if we mix about 3 units of Regular in with the supper bolus, then the "tail" on the Regular covers those higher early overnight basal needs nicely. :cwds:

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I, too, dislike that I need to have that much basal running when I am asleep at night. I fear that she'll have a night when he basals needs drop and I sleep through an alarm.

Right now, L is in need of a permament basal increase. The past 2 nights, I have been running 140% and she's finally staying level. I just have a feeling that when I actually increase those basals, her needs will drop.