- advertisement -

Methadone

Discussion in 'Research' started by millyyates, Nov 8, 2010.

1. millyyates

millyyates Approved members

Here's one I won't be trying.

Methodone trials in mice showed methadone treatment significantly reduced hyperglycemia and incidence of diabetes and restored pancreatic insulin secretion in Type 1 diabetic model mice.

Yes I know the mice have already been cured but how about the location of the research. Tehran University, Iran. I guess they really are working on something other than weapons of mass destruction or is it a cover. Go for it Iran. Cure Type 1 and all is forgiven.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18671992

2. StillTypeI

StillTypeI Approved members

The question should be "what does NOT cure NOD mice?".
    There are many many many cures for the NOD mouse, it is a horrible model of human autoimmune diabetes, if nothing else that should be evident to even the most dim-witted researcher!

3. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

First a note to StillTypeI:
    You might want to read the abstract before commenting on the research. This research did not use NOD mice, so saying bad things about NOD (even if they might be true) has not impact on this research.

Now some notes in this research in general:
    Methodone is similar in some ways to Naltrexone, so if you think Naltrexone might cure type-1 diabetes, it makes sense that Methodone might, also.

Second, these mice were made diabetic via a process called MLDS. They were given small doses of a toxin that attacked the pancreas. That triggers an autoimmune reaction. Technically, these mice do have an autoimmune form of diabetes, but it's quite different than the type of autoimmune diabetes that people get. So if you don't like research done on NOD mice, you will hate research done on MLDS mice, since they are even farther away from type-1 diabetes.

Joshua Levy

4. millyyates

Theories of environmental toxins potentially triggering type 1 in humans may mean this model is more appropriate.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

That's what I was thinking too. Interesting stuff.
    Any side effects though?

6. millyyates

Side effects

I'm not advocating the use of methodone in anyway. Just reporting the research.

Here is something on side effects from Wikipedia.

"As with other opioid medications, tolerance and dependence usually develop with repeated doses. Tolerance to the different physiological effects of methadone varies; tolerance to euphoria develops quickly, whereas tolerance to constipation, sedation, and respiratory depression develops slowly (if ever)."

7. millyyates

8. millyyates