- advertisement -

Metformin question

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by MomtoPatience, Oct 1, 2010.

1. MomtoPatience

MomtoPatience Approved members

Hi there,
    I am type 2 and my doctor has prescribed 2000 mg daily of Metformin.
    My question is this a large dose? I have known I had type 2 for a few years and controling with diet and excerise.
    Thank you.

2. t1mom

t1mom Approved members

My husband has been taking that dose for a few years now. He did start on 1000mg daily but then was increased.

3. MomtoPatience

Thank you for your reply :) Do they have any hope he could ever go off the medication? My nurtionist would like for me to go off of it once I have reached a goal weight.
    But I have not spoken to dr. about it. I recently lost a pregnancy and wondering if not taking the medication could have contributed to the loss.

4. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

That is an acceptable dose. You would be able to go off it only if you managed your diabetes with diet and exercise and were able to maintain normal blood glucose levels on your own. It will simply depend on how your blood glucose measurements and A1C's come down with diet and exercise.

5. MomtoPatience

Thank you Deb, I have noticed since the dose has been increased, I do not feel very hungry. Maybe it will be possible to lower the dose.

6. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

While 2000 mg of metformin is an acceptable dose, it is also the highest dose given and if it is the starting dose it can cause really, really unpleasant digestive problems. Unlike with Type 1, Type 2 diabetics have a bit of time to bring their blood sugars under control. If you experience any intestinal problems, I would suggest you cut back to a single 500 mg dose with dinner, wait a few weeks and then gradually add more - if needed.

You may not even need a full 2000 mg.

Also, personally I cannot take metformin unless it is the extended release formula. My dose is 500mg of metformin ER. If my A1C goes up I'll try adding another 500 mg.

7. angle

angle New Member

i too was on metformen

metformen can help you lose weaght and will also lower blood sugar. and
    yes you can come off metformen but i might take a cuple of year i
    should know i was on metformen for 5 year and was taken off recently.

good luck;)