- advertisement -

Meters

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Caleb's*mom, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

How often do you replace your glucose meter? We just got Caleb a new one over the summer and it doesn't seem to be working right already. The date and time are wrong

2. Blue

Blue Approved members

We haven't had to replace one yet, but his endo said we'd probably be getting a new one at least once a year. I'm thinking that has to do with insurance and not necessarily need though.

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son inadvertantly changes the date and time on his meter fairly often. I am not quite sure how that happens. I would simply change it back. You ought to consider that it may be operator error.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

or it could be the batteries going. More likely though, someone fiddled with the buttons and reset it without realizing it.

5. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

We replace them every six months or so and usually have 3-4 on the go at any time. My wife gets her blood drawn every three months and gets the meters tested. Usually one fails and gets replaced.

6. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

When you say she "gets the meters tested", can you explain how that is done? Are you referring to simply comparing the meter reading from the reading from the blood draw or some other kind of test? What counts as a failure?

Thanks.

7. Caleb's*mom

Caleb's*mom Approved members

Thanks everyone

8. Mel

Mel Approved members

Virgo asked the question I was going to ask.:eek: How do you know when the meter is not right?

9. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

We take all our meters in to the clinic whenever my daughter gets her A1C tested (about every three months). My wife gets blood drawn and they test it in the lab and compare it to the results from each of the meters. Any meters that have errors over 20% (high or low) get discarded.

We usually find that about 1 in 4 or 5 meters is out of range. We have tested a bunch of different brands, and they are all the same. On our last trip, our brand new meter failed.

We NEVER use a meter unless we have confirmed that it is accurate.

Also, in Canada most of the meters are free as long as you buy 100 strips so it is not that tough to get extras.

10. lynn

lynn Approved members

I just replaced a meter that went bad. This meter we have been using since spring.

Oddly, it was the time that went wacky. We've never had an issue with that before--most of the time it is the temperature sensor that makes us need to replace a meter. I know that it was the meter being crazy because I changed the battery twice. I talked to Nathan about not pushing the buttons to change the settings and he seemed honestly perplexed about what I was talking about. Finally I told everybody that I was the only one who was allowed to touch the meter. It still ended up changing.