- advertisement -

Meter Trust ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Threebeans, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Threebeans

Threebeans Approved members

Have any of you ever thought the meter was not reading the correct level? Do these things ever just take a day off and leave you guessing?

We have been dx'd 17 days ago and have all these questions?

David and Clarice

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The meter is pretty close to being correct. The issue may be what it is really measuring. The fingers must be clean and dry otherwise, you will get an incorrect results. Food on the fingers will show a high reading, water can lower it. (I think).

3. Carrie

Carrie Approved members

First of all...sorry to hear that you joined a "club" that no one likes being a member of. :( How old is your child? Hope everything is going well for you. Those first few weeks are tough. I think diabetes always leaves you guessing.

Over time, I think most parents who has a child with Type 1 has more then a couple meters floating around the house. :D We had some lows associated with a virus last week. I had 3-4 meters on hand that I used each time I checked her blood that afternoon. Kinda like when your meter reads HI for the first time after diagnosis...ya go running for a second opinion.

4. coni

coni Approved members

I think meters generally will be 10 - 20% off depending on the brand. If I get an unexpected reading, especially a high, I will re-test just to make sure. I'm okay with erroneously treating a "low" because of the immediate danger, but I religiously re-test highs to make sure I don't over correct.

"Welcome":( Sorry you're here, but it's a great place for advice, tips, learning, and venting...

5. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Have you tried the control solution in your meter? That is the best wayt o figure out if the meter has broken, or what is going on.

I usually have Julia wash, and dry her hands really well, then do a second test. If the second test isn't what I feel it should be then I use the control solution. I hope you get it sorted out. BTW welcome to CWD. Jamie

6. Threebeans

Threebeans Approved members

The control solution has confirmed that the meter is working. It was mainly a general question by a newbie that is trying to think of all the trip-falls that might happen.

Thank you all for the info on this topic and for all the other info that I have learned here.

David

7. Momto4

Momto4 Approved members

I had a scary moment the other night. I checked my daughter about midnight and the meter read 24! I knew her hands were clean b/c we always wash reallly well with soap and water before bedtime just for those nighttime checks. I ran into the bathroom and got a hot, wet washcloth and rubbed ahother finger. After drying it, I re-checked and she was 117. I re-checked another finger and it was 124. I have no idea what caused the 24. I went into the kitchen and did the control solution and it tested normal. Another time at lunch - again, the fingers were good and clean - she tested 484. I knew this could not (Or really should not - we know there are to guarantees with diabetes!) be right! I tested again and she was 87! I tested once more and she was 95. All this to say, when I get a weird #, I make sure the fingers are clean and dry and test again. Fun, Fun!

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

24 is a common number for a strip code. Is it in the realm of possibility that you didn't perform a test, but were looking at the strip's code number?

This has happened to me in the past.

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

I think we do what Coni does - I don't bother repeating a test for a low (well I've never had a low that I thought was impossible either) - I would always treat first. If I get an unexpected high number I usually retest. I've only once had a significant difference between the 1st and 2nd reading so I'm guessing something was on his finger.

I think most mainstream meters are highly used and fairly accurate assuming you have clean hands.

10. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Tyler said he was low last night and when my DH checked him he called me and asked "what does this mean" and the meter said LO -- I started to freak out but Tyler was not looking that bad so I told him to re-check real quick while I ran to the fridge for juice. He checked the 2nd time at 71, which is low, but not LO... ?

We are in the process of changing meters - got 2 new Ascentia Contour meters (one from Endo and the other from a friend who is dating our local Ascentia/Bayer rep...) since we only had the BD's and were afraid to keep buying their strips since they are getting out of making the meters (if the meter quit, then we would be stuck with the strips, ya know) :rolleyes:

Endo says they like the contour best and think it is one of the most accurate - I don't really like it as well because it does a 15 second countdown where the BD did it in 5 :confused: Maybe it is more accurate since it takes a little longer, but I've gotten several crazy readings on it so far that make me wonder... control solution test was fine - maybe we just have to get a little more used to it since its only been less than a week. I do like that it keeps 300 readings in memory and the BD only kept 30...:D

11. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

Meters ARE wrong sometimes...

Sometimes it's unclean hands, sometimes it's a failing battery which the meter didn't detect properly, sometimes it's a mis-manufactured or damaged strip.

I think that EVERYONE should own at least two meters of their "main" brand, plus a completely different one.

When you get a number which you don't trust, if the meter says 'LO" or "24" or some other scary hypo number, grab a couple of sugar tabs right away. If you were normal or even high, pushing yourself or your child up 20-50 points isn't gonna cause any major disaster. The first thing you do is treat the possible hypo.

THEN: wash your hands again, get your "backup" meter of your "main" brand. Use a FRESH, DIFFERENT bottle of strips. Remember to code both meters for the new bottle!!. Put the strips into the meters, and get a big drop so that you can run simultaneous tests in both meters from the same blood drop.

- - - - -
    If they now agree, trust the NEW number. If it's a lot different from the first (questionable) result, switch the coding back to the bottle of strips you first used. Try BOTH meters again against the previous strips. If they don't agree with the numbers you got with the new bottle, TOSS THE OLD STRIPS.

If they still DISAGREE, try a 3rd meter (preferably a different brand this time). The one which agreed with the 3rd meter, when using the FRESH strips, is probably good. THROW AWAY the meter which didn't agree with the other two.

I'd give my meters a second chance with a new battery, but that's because my "primary" meters never go on sale any more, and I have to use the original One-Touch Ultra for my CGMS. (NOT the UltraSmart, NOT the New Ultra-2. Only the original Ultra can calibrate the Dexcom.)

But for those of you who can get meters on Sale at a decent price, just trash it. It's already given you bad numbers with two different bottles of strips, and it didn't TELL YOU that it needed a new battery-- that's a failure right there, throw it out.