- advertisement -

Meter Reading High......No Ketones.....Now

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CADMOM, Mar 29, 2010.

1. CADMOM

CADMOM Approved members

This is a first for us. Anyways, Colin checked for ketones and there is none.....I did a correction via the syringe. He is drinking mega amounts of water........I did 10 units via the syringe about 45 mintues ago and still getting a high reading.....We checked the cannula/site and it "appears" ok....
    Is there anything else he should be doing?

Thanks for any advice!

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If you haven't, change the site out even if it appears to be working well. Are you seeing "HI" on the meter? If so, depending on your meter, its either over 500, or 600.. and really, after that point, you don't know how high, "HI" is.. so it may take a while.. 45minutes after a injection, the insulin is just starting to work.. check in another 45minutes or so and see what it is then.. Change out the set, if you haven't already.

3. CADMOM

CADMOM Approved members

Thanks for responding.......I figured it was too early.......It is so scary and frustrating at the same time......I am hoping he has learned a lesson at the importance of checking blood sugar more frequently especially now that he is on the omnipod..... I need to change my signature......

4. CADMOM

CADMOM Approved members

Blood sugar down to 320......It will be a long night, but at least he seems to be heading in the right direction........
    Definitely using this as a teaching moment for him. So if he goes to bolus and feels insulin leaking out, he will not wait 90 minutes to replace the pod, afer eating 4 pieces of pizza..........Then not checking his blood sugar for 4 more hours.......Teenage years.......ugh.........

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Definitely a learning experience. It'll all be OK, he's learned, you've learning and bg is coming down.. watch to make sure it doesn't come down to quickly. Hopefully you'll both be able to get some sleep in there too!:)

6. CADMOM

CADMOM Approved members

I am really hoping he has learned something tonight...... On mdi we occasionally would have leakage from shots, but I guess because of the lantus, we never had a high reading or ketones.....

7. Toni

Toni Banned

We had HI on meter first time recently (heating pad). Bolused for 500 BS and put temp basal on top. Changed out site, new bottle of insulin. Did not give correx by syringe, but probably should have done so. She did come down but it took another try before we figured out what it was. HI four hour, trace ketones only. Ten units should bring him down, I think. We did not give that much initially.

8. CADMOM

CADMOM Approved members

I wish the meter was able to read over 500......I kept thinking is he 501 or closer to 600, 700 etc.........
    Turns out he had noticed the adhesive on the pod was starting to come off but didnt think anything of it.......this was after 3 basketball games in one day.....So now we are both going to be checking the pod site more often.......