- advertisement -

Meter Reading "30"

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NomadIvy, May 28, 2010.

1. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

..and she was just feeling "shaky" and wanted to play some more. Aaaurgh!!! How low do you have to be before you actually go into a seizure and pass out? !!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I don't believe there is one magic bg number that will always cause a seizure or cause someone to pass out. Sorry....

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

This is truly a case of YDMV. Every child is different as to their threshhold of lows.

All you can do is treat it and move on. Maybe think if there was anything different that could have caused the low, but don't make yourself crazy over the "what-ifs". It's too easy to go there.

Hang in there and think about the positive. She recognized she was "shaky" and came to you. That's a good thing.:cwds:

4. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

I think its different for everyone. All I can attest to is our experience. J has had a full on conversation at 29. He was able to eat and was totally lucid. He felt "hungry" and was crabby, but compliant. He was 45 once at night and while I could wake him up and he was talking, he was not "there". I used glucagon that time and less than 5 minutes later he was awake with no memory of the waking up or the shot itself. He was in range within 10 minutes. He woke up just this morning at 42. He was his usual slow to wake self but took the juice box from me no problem. He only passed out once....at a 12! :eek: No seizure, though.

5. NomadIvy

What is a YDMV? :rolleyes:

6. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Going on 5 years since Emma was Dx. I've seen her at 1.0 (18) and not show any symptoms of being low, but on the other scale, I've seen her at above 3.0 (54) all in shakes and in a panic. It's not only a "Your Diabetes May Vary", it's a "Diabetes Itself Will Vary!"

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

A 12! That gave me the shivers reading that!:(:(

8. NomadIvy

Ooo... I wish I would never have to use the glucagon. She's been at 50, 39, 45... all very lucid..only shaky. Aurgh!

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Your Diabetes May Vary

Not every person reacts the same way to the same treatment. Most diabetics do not have seizures, but it can happen and all need to be prepared.

10. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Cayden has been at 28 and not had any signs of being low, in fact was running up and down the bleachers at a football game.. But once was 45 and a seizure.. You just never can tell.. It's a scary thing..

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Your daughter is very newly dx (diagnosed). Have you talked to her doctor about how much Lantus she is getting and that maybe it is too much? Her pancreas may still be producing insulin (also know as the Honeymoon period) and that is why she is having some of those low lows. You may also want to look at you insulin to carb ratio (I:C) and see if you may want to adjust that to give less insulin to cover the carbs. Just some thoughts...:cwds:

12. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

I agree with Chris. David's lowest was a 43. He was newly dx and that was our first low. He felt dizzy, shaky, and was starving but wasn't out of it and was able to have a full on conservation.

We had to play around a lot with his basal and his boluses to figure out what was right. Maybe talk to your endo about making a change.