- advertisement -

Metal Allergies and the G4?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lee, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Lee

Lee Approved members

I know there are one or two other parents out here whose kid has metal issues and use the G4. We couldn't use the MM because of the gold in the filament. Since the G4 is made of silver and platinum, I was hoping it would work for us. However, we are getting a failed sensor every 3 or 4 days. I can usually restart it for another few days. We actually did get 10 days out of the last one, with 4 restarts.

I guess my question is, since no one else seems to be having a rash of Failed Sensor errors, any kids with metal allergies having them? I am trying to get to the root of the issue and figure out if this is a good, long term CGM for us.

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I am sorry I can't say anything about failed sensors, but wouldn't there be a physical reaction if allergic to the metal? A rash a blister at site insertion? My child has allergies and all have a physical reaction. Just curious as our new Dex is coming tomorrow.

3. Mish

Mish Approved members

how about interactions with tylenol or any other medication - but specifically anything with acetaminophen in it.

4. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I would think if it was an allergy you would have redness or oozing from the place the sensor goes in. We had this with Dexcom. Are your sensor wires bent when you take them out? Could you be hitting muscle instead of fat?
    We could not do stomach area because not enough fat.
    We use back of arms. This area is not approved but many use it

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

Nope, no tylenol, no muscle hitting, and no oozing. When she wore the MM sensor, it didn't ooze either, just caused her discomfort.

6. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

You don't list her age, is it possible it bothers her so she tugs on it or rubs it slightly enough to cause a problem.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Nope - she is 15. The

Dex folks are flabbergasted as well and I will send in the failed site the next time it happens.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

any other meds? allergy,Midol, anything?

Does she have any issues staying hydrated? I have heard of issues with CGMing when the body does "refill" quickly enough.

9. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Have you considered trying an arm? That's the only place where G4 works for us. With tummy sites we were getting failed sensors and ???.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I'll have her try her arm tonight. Thanks.

11. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

I'm barely around, but yes, we're starting to have those. Like your dd, mine didn't have oozing with MM, and isn't having anything like that with dex either. We're in the middle of a cgm break hoping to give her body a chance to chill, and then planning to try an arm. I am going to be so bummed if it turns into a metal allergy. When she started on dex G4 we were getting 10 to 12 days, now we get the same as you at 3 to 4 days. I also wonder if there's any chance it's the bioenzyme, and whether taking a low dose allergy med would help treat. She loves the dex and cgming with sports, so she's willing to try. I'll make sure and post whether or not that works. Crossing fingers for you guys and for us!!

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

Maybe I will put her on some Zyrtec to see if that helps - I didn't think of that. Hopefully it isn't that darn allergy rearing it's head for either of us. Do you try restarting it? We can usually get a pretty decent restart.