- advertisement -

Met with school nurse and Connor's teacher today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sarahconnormom, Aug 20, 2008.

1. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

I work at Connor's school and last year I was in charge of his care at school. There was NO WAY our nurse was touching my child! Well, we have a new nurse this year so I decided to turn over some of the responsibility at school to the nurse. I am impressed by her so far. Since I work at the school I was also able to choose Connor's teacher. I chose a veteran teacher who I have worked with for years. She has never had a diabetic student but is willing to learn whatever she needs to so she can care for Connor. Connor was also intentionally placed with 6 other children from his first grade class that he is friends with. 5 of these 6 children are also in his Sunday School class. (We live in a small town.)

Here is our plan:
    1.) Connor will test and treat lows in the classroom. If the teacher is concerned she will page the nurse who will come down with the glucagon just in case. Hopefully, we will never have to use it but I am glad the nurse is making herself so available.
    2.) Connor will test and bolus himself right before lunch with the teacher's supervision.
    3.) If he is 300 or above before PE he will go to the nurse to test for ketones and correct. The nurse will determine when/if he is able to go on to PE for that day.
    4.) If the teacher is out Connor will go to the nurse for testing and bolusing. The teacher will have a letter in her sub folder with her lesson plans explaining about Connor and what protocol to follow in her absence.
    5.) The nurse has glucagon, Novolog, syringes, an extra infusion set and resovoir, glucose tabs, ketone meter, and an extra blood glucose meter in her office so she can handle anything that may come up. I will be training her next week on how to change a site just in case it ever gets pulled out at school and I am not available.
    6.) I will also be keeping all these supplies with me so we are double covered on everything.

I have a good feeling about this year so far. School starts Monday. His teacher has asked me to pop into her classroom as often as I like the first couple of weeks until she has the hang of doing everything. Luckily, I have a full-time aide in my classroom so I can leave for a few minutes several times a day without a problem to check on him.

2. selketine

selketine Approved members

Sounds like you have a good plan. It is great that you are close by if needed.

Best of luck for a successful school year!:)

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

sounds like a good plan. Hopefully it goes well this year and the nurse can do some of the things and you can get back to work. :)

4. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

Sounds like an excellent plan! Good job, mom!