- advertisement -

Messed up first Dex insertion....have a ?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by karliesmom, Apr 10, 2012.

1. karliesmom

karliesmom Approved members

Hi! Okay, started DEX last week. First insertion with instructor a bit traumatic for my daughter but everything else went well for the week.
    Tonight, took out old site, readied stomach for new site. Daughter was scared but said she could handle doing it on our own. Got site in position, pushed plunger down, and pulled inserter out. Was wondering why we had ??? for so long. Finally receiver said failed sensor. Pulled site off and no little metal thingie. Read book and discovered I forgot to pull up on collar to pull needle out and leave sensor in....major OOOOPS. :eek:
    My question is, did I totally screw up and the little metal sensor is still under her skin? Or by not pulling up on collar it never went into her skin. A bit freaked out and hoping I didn't mess up real bad. Thanks for any help with this.

My daughter is great though; even after that screw up she let me try another and it worked..I think..lol...this time. Will see in a few hours if it asks for BG readings.

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

If you forgot to pull up on the collar, the sensor probe was never exposed under the skin and you probably just pulled it out with the inserter (if you noticed *anything* sticking out of the plastic base on the inserter when you removed it, then it definitely didn't get inserted).

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

It never went into the skin. I did this myself a few months ago and called in to Dexcom to ask. The lady on the phone said either it went rolling on the floor somewhere or else it was still inside the inserter. They sent me a free replacement even though that one was totally my fault.