- advertisement -

Menopause and type 1

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by blufickle, May 11, 2012.

1. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

I'm wondering how many type 1 women who have gone through menopause, are going through menopause have had similar problems to mine. So far, my doctor hasn't found anyone else with my problems.

My first problems aren't really related to my diabetes, they are food related. I have a list of over 30 items which I can no longer eat because they cause my abdomen to extend, if I don't know something contains one of the food items and I eat a great deal of it, my legs and calves will swell up.

The problems that are related to my diabetes. I take 3-4 injections of N and R Humulin insulin a day, except for certain times a month. AND this time changes. it isn't exactly 28 days. It can be 20, 25, 28, 32, or 40 days. I never know when it's going to happen. My pre-supper and bedtime insulin requirements stay the same until the hormones decide to go wacky.

Then, I'll have an insulin reaction (hypo- anywhere from 28-45) in the middle of the night (1-3am). It took us some time, but we finally figured out the pattern. I used to go low two nights in a row, now it's only one.. Even if I've eaten more than enough cover my insulin reaction, I'll be low (35-60) fasting.

So I now have to cut out my 3-4 units of N insulin at bedtime and I have to cut back my pre-supper insulin. I go from 18 units of the N insulin to 3-4 units. This will last up to 2 weeks. Then my fasting blood sugars will start to raise so I have to start raising my pre-supper N insulin. I can't immediately go back to my normal levels because that can cause more night-time insulin reactions.

There have been times when I've had to cut out all of my insulin injections because of lows. The longest I've gone without insulin has been a week and a half! This was after menopause began raising it's head and I've been diagnosed over 40 years. My doctor didn't know what was going on. She just told me to keep checking my blood sugars and when my fasting was high, to start my insulin.

Has anyone else had these type of crazy problems? Or am I once again, an atypical diabetic?

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That sounds incredibly unusual. I have never heard of a fully established (i.e. non-honeymooning) type 1 diabetic going without insulin for so long without ill effect. You must still be producing some insulin for that to be the case - have you had your C-Peptide measured.

Otherwise, I hope you figure it out. There aren't so many adults active here, so you might find more help with this particular issue somewhere like tudiabetes or diabetesdaily where there are more active adult communities.

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've had peri menopause 3 times, and am now in full menopause. The only symptom I've ever had are the damn hot flashes, During the Peri, they were not bad, now they're obnoxious if I don't take my menopause supplement, recommended dose is 1 cap 2x a day, I'm taking 2 cap, 3x a day

4. blufickle

blufickle Approved members

Em I did have the C-Peptide measured years ago and they fell wherever it was they were suppose to... IE I am a type 1, my islets don't produce insulin but this was before menopause began. I've joined the other two forums and so far I haven't found any other woman who has my problems. :( but I haven't posted yet.

My hot flashes are rather nice. Because my husband likes to keep the house at a cold temperature, when I have a hot flash, I actually feel comfortable. We know I'm having one whenever I kick off the covers or I don't run around the house with a sweater on or I'm wrapped up in a blanket