- advertisement -

Meeting with School Friday-- help?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AmyMCGS, Sep 29, 2011.

1. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

I am having all kinds of problems with the clinic aide at my daughter's school, including the aide ignoring our written plan and not treating lows appropriately, among other things. The clinic aide (private school) has told me that they "don't do" 504 plans, but I may insist on one now, because I know by law they have to "do" them... she just doesn't want to mess with it.

As of a phone call this afternoon, I now have a meeting set up for tomorrow morning with the aide's supervisor to work things out. I'm trying to pull some extra paperwork together so I don't just look like a crazy d-mom. ;)

I tried a search, but I'm not coming up with anything to help back me up on my position that my daughter should be allowed to test in her classroom if low, rather than having to walk to the clinic, where the aide makes her feel bad for bothering to come if she's not actually low according to her meter. (Yes, the attitude will be addressed tomorrow! :mad: ) Does anyone have something handy in terms of the safety of testing in the classroom? The aide says she has to test in the clinic due to the blood, which we all know is ridiculous. I can verbalize the argument, but feel like having something in writing would be helpful. Thanks!

2. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

3. Hudson_Rocks

Hudson_Rocks Approved members

Do you have access to the school district policies online?

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, a private school doesn't always (unless they are for some reason receiving federal funds) have to do a 504. So my advice is to learn more about the school's funding before insisting. They can, and should, sit down and agree to a care plan that would bring everyone to the table and assign care responsibilities etc.

Good luck.

5. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

With it being a private school, they might not be required to do the 504. If they get any federal assistance at all, then they would - but if not, then they don't fall under that law. Just throwing that out there so you will know as my DS also attends private school and isn't covered by a 504 but fortunately we have an awesome school nurse who follows our care plan to the "t".

6. RacerWife7

This is true. I was thinking about that. However, she should be able to talk with them and work up a DMMP (paperwork is in that link I gave above) at the very least. ...Just to throw this into the mix, my school system (although public) has a very inclusive IHP. It gives specific instructions to ALL personnel that come in contact with my son; not just the nurse. It's ALMOST a 504; minus the actual title, really.

One other thing to think about is asking the endocrinologist to write something up to bring to the clinic aide - then, it's doctor's orders.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, if they don't receive funds, they don't have to follow the rules unfortunately.

That aside, her attitude needs to be addressed. She needs to know that your child (nor any child) should not be chastised for coming to her. I'd talk to your endo or CDE and ask for some assistance here. Maybe they can write a letter stating how blood sugars fluctuate, how some kids feel low when not (my child in particular is like this), but a low is coming.
    I would point out to her that if she let your child test in the classroom, then she wouldn't have to come to the nurse only to find out she's not low, saving her the inconvenience of GASP, actually having to help a kid.

This tool is helpful, though long.
    http://ndep.nih.gov/media/Youth_NDEPSchoolGuide.pdf

Good luck, hope it works in your favor.

8. RacerWife7

HAHA - same link I shared. Yep - IMO it's the best school info out there. ;)

9. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

Thanks, all.

I have already looked into it and the school does receive federal funding... not only that, but I know of another student who HAS a 504 there. So the issue is not that the school doesn't do them at all, it's that the clinic aide (no nurse there) either doesn't know what it is or else doesn't want to mess with it. Either way, her repeated statements to me were incorrect.

We have detailed doctor's orders that are written basically like a 504 anyway, which is why I have never pushed it before. BUT, if attitude and such are going to be an issue, it might be time for me to push it.

The school also has my one-page plan of action for each day (lunch, snacks, lows) and it has not been followed at all in recent weeks.:mad:

All of this will be addressed today.

Off to check out that link now... thanks again!

10. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Way to be ahead of the game... no excuse for ignoring his needs or attitude from the aide. Be as nice as possible but firm as concrete ;)

11. RacerWife7

HAHA - that's it: smile as you tell them how it's going to be. :D

12. AmyMCGS

AmyMCGS Approved members

That is EXACTLY my attitude. :D

I am a very reasonable person, but enough is enough. I don't care what the clinic aide thinks of me, but she IS going to take proper care of my child!

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yep, no need to go in guns a blazin' but as my husband says "just smile and wave boys, just smile and wave." Then say, moving forward this is how things will be approached. And since they received federal funds, you can always contact the ADA or OCR (or both) if they choose not to comply.

14. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Our school tried to insist that our dd come to the clinic

to test for lows due to the 'risk of blood and blood borne pathogens being exposed to the classroom environment'. So, I reminded them of two things, first hypoglycemia needs to be treated immediately or will become an emergent situation involving glucagon and 911. Second, the point of federal protections provided by a 504 is to minimize the time outside of class. I handed them a print out from the ADA website showing that in class testing meets guidelines for reasonable accommodations, and an OSHA statement on the disposal of strips showing the trashcan is appropriate. Then the ADA advocate asked if they wanted to risk liability for willfully failing to prevent an emergency situation with reasonable accommodations, or if insisting they were right was more important. (we planned this ahead of time - good cop, bad cop I guess.) DD tests where ever and when ever she wants to now.

15. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

Is the clinic aide a "certified nursing assistant"? and is her supervisor a licensed nurse, RN or LVN? A licensed nurse is responsible for the care any unlicensed personal under their supervision gives. You might remind them of that.
    Keep us informed of what goes on

16. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Even private schools have to allow for 504 plans unless they are religious schools.

17. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Even some religious ones allow accommodations. Most need the students.

18. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I'm not sure it is accurate to suggest that non-religious private schools must allow for 504 plans.

It is my understanding that any school or activity that gets federal funding must allow for a 504 -- so it doesn't matter whether a school is "public", "private", or "religious" -- just whether they get funding. As a practical matter, I think all or almost all public schools get federal funding. Whether a private or private religious school does depends on the school.

Schools that are not legally required to comply with 504 might nonetheless agree to care and educational plans that spell out a number of accommodations for students with D, however.

19. lisac

lisac Approved members

Please let us know how it went!!