- advertisement -

Meeting resistance to D Summer Camp...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mischloss, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Anyone having issues with their D child attending D summer camp? My son went last year and according to him had a blast. Met a bunch of "new friends" and at that time told us he can't wait to go back. Well, this year as the subject came up for the new year, he is reluctant to go and said it was boring???:confused:

Lapse of memory or what gives? He just wants to hang around his neighborhood with his school friends. Anyway, I already filled out the application for summer camp and yes his butt will be on the bus to go. I told him he gets to pick out a nice sleeping bag if he wants. Which I guess cheered him up a bit. Our endo's office is major big on this yearly event and all the doctors, clinicians and volunteers look forward to being with the kids. I have seen some of the camp videos posted and they look like such fun. I told the doctor yesterday (she asked about camp) that he is definitely going to go. He made the "rolling eyes" at me. I guess it must been some weird teen hormones? He is going to be 14 at camp time so will even get to be in the special "teen village" section and not with the little kids. Go figure right??

2. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Sam is 7, will be 8 this summer (eeekkkk I can not believe he will be 8 :eek:) Anyway, he has ALWAYS refused to go to camp. Sure I could make him but I would rather he want to go. He likes his regular summer karate camp and he likes the local recreation camp but hands down pitches a fit about diabetes camp. I asked him and he told me that he has no reason to "have to" know other kids with diabetes. He also said that he does not care if others change their own site or give their own shots. He said that he thinks it is stupid to wake up to a wet bed in the morning because of a high blood sugar and have to kid next to you do the same thing:eek: I think my son just does not have that need to "connect" with others who are going through the same thing as him. I do have to add though that we already know and socialize with 3 other families of children with diabetes...still he does not find the common bond the least bit interesting.

Sorry I have no advice. I think my son will never see the inside of a diabetes camp.

3. KeltonsMom

KeltonsMom Approved members

Kelton has never been to a D camp and quite honestly he has no desire to go to one..He is now 16 and I have been trying to get him to go for the past 3 years and he has refused every time.

We even offered to go as a family and got the same resistance from him.

We decided that we will not force him to go and until he decides this is what he wants then we will send him.

4. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

Well, I could see if my son had never gone. Or he gone and had a terrible time and told us right then and there ....but he was so happy and talking about the event for a long time and then it was like "out of sight, out of mind" and now when we bring it up it doesn't seem all that "cool" to him anymore. What a difference a year makes! :rolleyes: