- advertisement -

Meeting a new family, what to give

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Eric's mom, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

Meeting a new family with a young child recently dx. I thought it would be nice to get a "gift" diabetes bag together for them, with stuff you wish you knew about at dx to make it a little easier. What would you include? For example: smarties, best finger poker, list of web sites, etc., anything you can think of? Thanks for the ideas!

2. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

A grocery bag of low carb snacks and where you got you them from along with a list of what items to buy when those are gone. That was the hardest thing for us - our cupboards were filled with fruit snacks that were 24+carbs and had nothing in our house really for our son, age 5, at Dx to have as a snack when he came home.

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Definitely some low carb snacks, and a list of free or low-carb snacks that your kids like.

A list of websites & apps that you find usefull.

Maybe some recipes with carb counts.

4. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

Calorie King book.

5. sooz

sooz Approved members

Multiclix would be my choice for best lancing device. A food scale for the home or a pocket scale for meals out would be nice.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think I'd maybe be inclined to bring a non-D little gift for the child, and something too for any siblings and then, once we've met and discussed where they are in their journey and I've learned what they know and what they don't, follow up with a, " I thought you might be able to use this" gift.

7. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

Pink Panther D book

8. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

When I visit a newly dx family at our hospital, I have a canvas bag filled with Cal King book, Pink Panther book, an plastic travel salter scale, a neoprene alert bracelet from fifty50, crystal light packets for taking to restaurants, a kids book Danny Dice- Diabetes super hero.

9. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

We get extra swag at FFL and hand it out. Sadly we always hand it out.

10. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Frog log book

I don't really use these any more, but when we first started I wrote everything down in a notebook.

The frog log books we got from the endo's office (are these made by Lily?) were great to record everything. All of the days started to blend together!

11. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

When my son was dx, my sister (also a D mom) went shopping for me and got all sorts of good things...measuring cups (did not have any, believe it or not), some Gatorade, regular Ginger Ale, and popsicles for sick days, sugar-free applesauce cups, diet soda, Crystal Lite, juice boxes, peanut butter crackers, etc. It was a nice homecoming gift. I would also include

sugar-free chocolate milk mix...the real thing always does a number on my son's BG...and he loves chocolate milk

perhaps some Dreamfield pasta...only 5 carbs per 2 ounces...LOVE this product

a booklight for checking BG in dark places, such as movie theaters (I just clip it on the meter case...works great)

in addition to the Calorie King book, see if you can get some nutritional info online for restaurants not listed...and print it out in a binder

extra alcohol wipes, glucose tablets (you never know in the beginning how fast you can use these)

address for this website:), JDRF, and dLife

12. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

A list of helpful websites including this one. Include boots etc.

13. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

A coupon good for an evening of babysitting, so they have someone they can trust to watch their little one when they're ready to go out again. :)

14. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

That's a great idea!:)