- advertisement -

Medtronic vs Dexcom?? Advice please!

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by VikkiMum, Nov 19, 2012.

1. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

Hi
    My daughter is 7 and has been using the Dexcom7 for 19 months now. We live in the UK and so our medical system is very different to yours but if I can explain: we fund the CGM privately ourselves and although worth every penny (or cent!) it is stretching us financially. There is however the possibility that we could get funding for the CGM but it seems that we would be more likely to get funding for the Medtronic CGM not the Dexcom. We have been very happy with the Dexcom and have recently been looking into the G4. So my question is:
    Do you think we should just go for the Medtronic because at the end of the day they are about the same anyway
    OR
    do you think it's worth us really pushing for the Dexcom G4 because it's far superior?
    I would really appreciate your comments and observations on both pieces of equipment. We only have a few days to put together a case - please help!!
    Vikki

2. Don

Don Approved members

Can you trial the Medtronic? I've heard that some people can get performance on par with Dexcom but it depends on the chemistry of each person that you can only figure out if you actually try it.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Having used both, I would say Medtronic is superior in most ways, the exception being how comfortable it is to wear the sensors. I minded more than most and switched to Dexcom just because the sof-sensors (you guys get the next generation medtronic sensors, which are the enlite sensors) were painful for me.

I would switch to medtronic, see if your daughter finds the sensors uncomfortable and if so... you haven't really lost anything since Dexcom wasn't going to be covered anyways.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

Most people haven't used both - and if they did they probably have strong opinions one way or the other because they switched. The rest of us (like me) - picked the system because we wanted it.

If you REALLY want the G4 why not try for it? Is the worst case scenario that you get a MM instead if they deny the G4?

5. Diana

Diana Approved members

We've used both! And I really like both. We just switched from the MM to the G4 because MM sensors just stopped working for my son (sensors would die after 36 hours or so)

I would not say one is far superior to the other at all. If it a matter of getting funding vs not, then I would say you should at least try the MM to see if it works for you.

Edit to add -- if you can get the G4 funded, though, I would go for that. Louder alarms, incredible range -- especially important factors at night. And you are already familiar with the Dex system.

6. VikkiMum

VikkiMum Approved members

Thank you so much for your replies! It's been a really stressful couple of days but we have now made a decision that we are all happy with. We've decided to take a gamble and try and push for the Dexcom for two reasons: we think the advantages of this CGM better suit our daughter and also we're not happy about giving up our DANA pump which has a remote control that is fantastic. So fingers crossed!
    Many thanks
    Vikki

7. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

I use Dexcom, I chose Dexcom. I trialled and lived with both. I am hypoglycemic unaware, my GP respected my choice and eventually recommended Dexcom to other patients. Due to my input and perspectives.

8. solobaricsrock

solobaricsrock Approved members

I've used both systems. Enlite is not available here in the states yet so it's a moot point. That said I switched to Dex and have not looked back. Range, accuracy, and ease of insertion win the day for me. The MDT system has its pros also, but overall I couldn't get the accuracy into acceptable range. The Dex did it right out of the box. Enough said.