- advertisement -

Medtronic upgrade not necessarily great for older T1Ds either!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChaosRules, Sep 30, 2013.

1. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

Apparently, it is no longer possible to get a stand-alone pump from Medtronic if you are Type 1. You have to get the system with Enlite, because the 530G is not approved as a stand-alone.

So my son, who has a 4 year old Minimed now out of warranty, can't get a replacement pump without getting this whole new system. I'm sure that if our insurance pays for the Medtronic system, they'll no longer pay for Dexcom supplies or any new Dexcom systems that come out.

I think it's really an insensitive move on Medtronic's part. It seems much more geared towards making them more money and less about caring about patient needs. Their patient population is definitely not a one-size-fits-all. All these T1D kids (and adults!) need to do what works best for them, and to deny them your pump just because they don't want to use your sensor? I think it's wrong.

Luckily, we do still have choices, so we'll be looking into a different pump company when my son decides it's time for a new one. So I guess we won't get to use Medtronic's upgrade program either! Disappointing.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

So you're saying that you can't just buy the pump - you have to get the transmitter and sensors along with it?

3. ChaosRules

That's what the Medtronic rep told me when I told her my son wasn't interested in the cgm. I guess you can just not use the Enlite part, but, like I said, I'm sure our insurance wouldn't pay for the Dexcom supplies in that case, so it's Enlite or no cgm if we want a Medtronic pump.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

What a crock of horseshit. You could buy the Revel without buying the whole system. They're just trying to force MM pumpers who are Dexcom users to use the MM CGM. Unreal.

5. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

I was led to believe that I could get just the pump but I would not get the upgrade guarantee. I am not sure but I am waiting to speak with someone from the company and I will let you know. I did attend a diabetes program in the town where I live and I was sad to find out that this new sensor is wrong about 20% of the time.:eek:

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

If the CS agent is correct then they've just signed their death warrant.

They are no longer the only 300u pump on the market, nor are they offering superior sensor technology so all they have is "integration", big whoop.:rolleyes:

Good luck to then and their ugly, awkward pump. :cool:

7. ChaosRules

Yes, do let me know what you find out! Maybe it was just the rep I was talking to, but she was pretty adamant about it, since he was Type 1, implying that if he were Type 2, he could get the pump alone. He could also get it alone if his insurance wouldn't approve a cgm, although she assured me that Medtronic would fight hard to get them to approve it.

So it seems even more stupid to me that some people can get the pump alone, but others can't.

Also, we find that's about how often the G4 is wrong too. But at least his pump isn't taking action relying on the cgm numbers that may be wrong.

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Actually, I don't know that this 530G thing even has a 300u cartridge option. Anyone know?

9. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

According to the article Karla posted here: http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=74528 it does.

It really feels like MM is pushing to get this pump out and worry about the rest later, just so they can claim to be the "first step to an artificial pancreas." How many more ways can they screw this release up?

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Give them time :p

11. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

LOL, I suppose they did have the 15 months it was in FDA approval to brainstorm.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Snort :p
    (mts)