- advertisement -

Medtronic New Enlite sensors fail to initialise 3 times in a row - help please

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by suej, Jan 17, 2015.

1. suej

suej Approved members

Hi, my 12 yr old DS has been mostly successfully using medtronics Enlight for the last 18 months, the new one for the last 6 months. I am feeling desperate and wondering if we are doing anything wrong as the last 3 sensors have gone sensor error in first 2 hours and failed to initialise and had to be pulled out. So 3 sensors insertions in 2 days and no working sensor yet. All the insertions seemed to go well but the Isig never built up and so sensor error ensued. Tested transmitter and was fine. On pulling the first, the sensor filament was 1mm long, but then I pulled on it and it unwound from the sensor base. The second sensor seemed not to have any filament at all. I have not yet pulled the 3rd sensor, sitting on an Isig of 9 and praying it will miraculously recover but feel very gloomy. Sensors from different lots. Has anyone experienced this? Please advise. Medtronic will send me new ones, they can't really explain why it is happening, but am worried will not solve problem as has recurred with different lots.
    Thank you

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

If the three sensors were from the same box then I would suspect a product error. Call customer support and say you want a replacement box and ship the box with the rest of the sensors back to them. If the sensors were all from different boxes then use a new placement site. Sorry, no other suggestions but I would not assume it was your issue.:eek:ali

3. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

That actually sounds like a transmitter issue to me. I don't think I ever had a bad transmitter actually fail on the tester. My experience is low isig is a transmitter issue unless the sensors are very expired. Sorry I don't have any good advice. I guess in your position I would try to get a loaner transmitter from your mm rep or endo to prove it is the transmitter not the sensors. Good luck!

4. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you Megc and Ali

Sadly all 3 sensors from different boxes, so I can't blame a bad lot. Also tried different transmitters. Am worried that our insertion technique somehow gone off (actually used 2 different sertors) and those insertions went well. It seems a mechanical failure as the sensor filament either never went into his body or was snagged and pulled back with the needle, as the first sensor filament was bunched up and with just 1mm showing before I pulled it out of the sensor housing, and I kid you not, the second sensor filament really was absent (I looked at the site to see if it had broken off in his body but not obviously). The 3rd sensor I have not pulled yet, not a good Isig but is trending with his BG.

I am also stuck for sites, need tummy for sets, he has skinny arms (we can.t get dexcom here), and his upper buttocks where I put the sensors look surprisingly pristine and I can't feel scarring, but guess it may be there anyway.

I am afraid I remain confused. I have also posted a question on Gary Sheiners site, maybe he has come across this before.

Thank you for your input:smile:

5. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Have you actually tried his arms? I know you say he is skinny, but we successfully use the Enlite in my five year old's arm. We also used the SofSensors in his arm since he was three. He definitely has skinny arms! It might be worth a try if you haven't.

6. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you acoppus, I will try and convince him to try his arms. Being 12 going on 13 he has his own ideas that I must respect. I am actually scared this is going to put him off GCM. When you pinch yours son's upper arm, how much subcutaneous issue can you pick up? I can pick up about 1 cm - do you think that would be enough?
    Thank you

7. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

I certainly understand about respecting their ideas! We can't get sites or sensors anywhere near his stomach. I never really pinch his arm, but there isn't much fat on him at all. We have to insert them in kind of a hit and run, no negotiating way and just grab his arm and do it. Which is a lot easier with a five-year old than a preteen. But the enlite insertors that cover the whole sensor make it easier. He never complains after it is in, and we have been having fairly good luck with them.

If you private message me your email, I will send you a picture of his arm and sensor

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  8. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you - will do so

9. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

Email sent!

10. suej

suej Approved members

Thank you so much for pic, Ben really quite interested to see a small slender boy with an enlite on his arm, it makes it seem possible to him. We do finally have a working sensor (4th time lucky) in usual site but am hoping next sensor will be on back of his arm. Just need to gather my courage.Thank you and hope things go well for you and your son.
    kind regards
    Sue

11. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

I'm glad it helped! And glad you finally have a working sensor! Good luck!