- advertisement -

Medtronic Linked Meter - Bayer

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, May 11, 2011.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's somewhat old news that Medtronic did not renew their contract with One Touch to provide the linked meters for their pumps. (I always found that a bizarre partnership anyway, since One Touch and Animas are both J&J brands.) I finally read today who will be providing the linked meter in the future - Bayer.

I don't read a lot about their meters on here. Anyone use them? Thoughts?

ETA: I see that Bayer is already the linked meter overseas. Maybe those folks could chime in?

2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Gotta link to the news? I figured it would be Bayer. I know those who live in Canada uses the Bayer link meter.

3. hawkeyegirl

Here ya go, Michelle.

I wonder if they'll send out new meters to everyone. Jack got his 522 right before they partnered with One Touch, so we got the old linked meter with his pump (Nova Max?) and a few weeks later got the Ultra Link in the mail. It would be nice to have a linked meter that we like.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I liked the Bayer meter strips very much.

To me they were very similar to the Aviva strips, wide and easy to handle for smaller hands and they "sucked" quickly and easily. strip containers have 50 strips, which is a good and bad thing.

My hope is that Dexcom/animas second generation will be with a Bayer or Aviva meter/remote.

5. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Guess I could have gone to MM website. I didnt think it would have been posted there yet. I figured it was in another article some where.

Interesting..they said they were working with Bayer since 2007. At that time the Novomax meters were being used. I also figured MM would partner with a company who had no ties to an insulin pump.

6. hawkeyegirl

That is good to hear. We use an Aviva now, and like it very much. We're used to the 50 strip containers, and it looks like it has the same sample size as the Aviva (0.6).

I think you're probably stuck with One Touch, though. There's no way J&J would partner with another company's meter when they have their own meter company in-house. :cwds:

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Please, please, please let it be the Contour USB and not the plain Contour! That would finally make Minimed using an up to date meter with their pumps.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I didn't much like the Bayer meter (Bayer Contour Link) which links with the MM pump over here (I moved back to One Touch, and later onto Accuchek, which is my favourite).

It seemed to read okay for higher numbers, but often gave me what seemed to be false lows.. often when my One Touch meter was reading 90 the Bayer would be reading 50-60. When I got the Accuchek I compared and it seemed again like the Bayer was reading me too low. I had a real LO on that meter once (double checked) but it also once gave me a false LO, which was a big moment of pointless terror :p and none of my other meters have done that.

On the bright side, it took a lot less blood than One Touch, and I felt like it was more accurate at higher numbers. So a mixed review, but overall I much prefer to use Accuchek and manually enter BGs into the pump.

9. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Jury is still out for me on my son's Bayer Contour USB. The USB consistently reads 20-40 points lower than the Ping meter remote. So as an example,last night the Ping said 140 and the USB said 99. My issue with this is depending on which number is closer to "actual" changes how his BG is corrected.

My other problem with the USB is that at this time, it does not currently work with the personal Diasend downloading or the ez manager software. I can type in his numbers to the ez manager, but this is a pain for me. I was never even close for the world's best record keeping title:rolleyes:

I DO NOT like glucofacts software that comes with the USB meter. It is not detailed enough for many people, much less a toddler on a pump IMHO.

With that said however, the ping 90 day average was 205. His last A1C was 7.1, indicating a lower average. So the USB may be more " correct". Without lab testing, it is difficult to say.

Also, the USB is easy to use. My son turns 3 next month and can put the strip in this meter and put the strip to his blood. He is thrilled to be able to take part in his testing. He has not been able to achieve as much with the Ping meter yet.

Just FYI - due to insurance change we have to try Bayer or Accu chek before they will allow one touch products. I have tried the Aviva, I am not a fan. We are trying the Contour USB and overall I like the meter, just have the previous mentioned concern with number difference.

10. 22jules

22jules Approved members

When do you think a switch to Bayer would happen? Right now we do use the one touch and it is covered at best rate through insurance and I don't think Bayer is.:( We are due to get a new pump early next year--wanting the Revel and would really want to use the linked meter.

BTW we started out our diabetes journey on the contour and liked them (course we didn't know any better). We have used contour, accuchek and one touch and are fine with all of them. To us it is extremely important to have the bg's linked-and have them be an approved insurance brand!

11. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

We also had to switch to Bayer Contour for insurance reasons. I found them comparable to the Accuchek and sooooooooo much better than the One Touch. I

We find them to be accurate probably 95% of the time. (By this I mean if the BG reading is different from the CGM reading, I'll re-test and find the second always closer to the CGM reading.) Also like that it sucks up quickly and has very few error messages, particularly when compared to the OneTouch.

No opinion on the USB yet and I just never seem to find it when it is on special and figure I'll get it eventually as a giveaway.

12. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  13. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We were sent two Bayer Contour Link meters with our pump. I love them and haven't used the One Touch since. I love that we rarely get errors, it takes ages before it times out, it requires only the tiniest drop of blood. Even before I read Emma's reply I was going to say that one of my meters consistently reads lower - I don't use it anymore because I don't want it affecting his A1C but I do have it tested every three months against his blood draw and it's still within an acceptable range. And of course, the best thing is that it's linked with his pump and the pump now allows you to selectively choose whether or not to calibrate so we have the linking feature turned on all the time now. It shows the 14 day average when you turn it on which my One Touch didn't. We don't use any of the other features on it - I think that's more for T2s.

All in all, it's a good meter - no complaints here.

14. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We originally used the One Touch but when we started on the pump two years ago it came with the Bayer Link. What I like about the meter is that coding isn't necessary and it requires less blood.

What I don't like is the user interface and the case. The Bayer case has a plastic sleeve that the meter slides into, rather than the snap in holder that One Touch has. Also with the Bayer, the strip doesn't extend beyond the edge of the case so it gets in the way.

For accuracy I've occaisionally compared the two types of meters and found that I get the same results with both.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

This may have me think about switching meters to be able to use the link.. but maybe not.. lol.. I'm not sure I can give up the freestyle lite.. but Kaylee has used bayer meters before and likes them.. I think its the contour that is link with MM over seas/canada.

16. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Can you use both the bayer linked and the onetouch ultralink with your pump? Do you know if your pump only links to the bayer?

17. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

At the beginning of the year we had to switch from Aviva to either contour or onetouch. Against my better judgement we briefly tried the linked meter, but it was still just as bad as I rememberd it to be:p.

We've been using the bayer usb meter and so far I would consider it acceptable compared to our trusted aviva. The last A1C was comparable to the CGM average.

One thing I like about the usb is the trend display. It gives a 14 day display with a breakdown of the # of high, in range, and lo readings. I've been finding it handy to just keep an eye on that so if I see the # of low readings creeping up then I can go back and look at when they happened and make adjustments if needed. It's not too fantastic of a feature, just nice that I can quickly glance at.

My only gripe is that there doesn't seem to be as much time (compared to aviva) to add blood if the the first try isn't quite enough.

18. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

I believe that it only links with the bayer but I've never tried it with the one touch.

19. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Oh yes, I forgot this - we stopped using the case as it was really hard to pull the meter out of the stupid plastic sleeve but if you leave it in, it's a bit tricky to get the strip up against your finger. We picked up a cool Frog case at the Bayer booth during the Walk last year that's made especially for this meter - it has the snap in holder.

20. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

We use the bayer contour link meters.

We do use a different case that has room for a sleeve of glucose tabs in it, and the meter has a fitted plastic mold (not a plastic sleeve) this makes it easy to take the meter out for testing.