- advertisement -

Medtronic CGM Woes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cdninct, May 31, 2012.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Here are some things that might be helpful

1) The plug test is useless - it does not test real-world problems

2) A good percentage of transmitters are simply defective out of the box. They restart over and over. When you get repeated restarts, demand a new transmitter until you get one. Once you get a good one, it will "never" restart. We had to go through 5 transmitters the last time, and 3 the time before that to get ones that worked reliably. When you get a good one, they are great - reliable, accurate, and tend to last a long time.

3) If MM advises to change the sensor in response to lost signals, don't. It's not the sensor (unless you can see that it was partially pulled out or damaged) and there is no point putting another hole in your child's skin. Just tell the person reading the standard procedures to you that you did replace it and continue this way until they replace the transmitter.

4) We learned recently that how you tape the sensor has a lot to do with how long it lasts. For years we never got more than 7 days out of sensor, but now we get 10 days, once we starting taping it in a different way that stabilizes it better:

- Start with two pieces of Tegaderm 1624W, cut each in half
    - Insert sensor
    - Tape the clear plastic part with 1/2 piece
    - Tape the adhesive with 1/2 piece
    - Use an additional two 1/2-pieces to stabilize top and bottom.

Here's a drawing:

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

Agree with Darryl. Good sites and taping are huge. I know many people are able to use many areas of their body for sensors but I have only gotten good results from my arms. My thoughts are that I have the least amount of movement from the 5 or 6 sites on the back of my arms that I use. I have tried thighs, stomach, upper rear, none worked very well. Taping everything really well is a big help. I will be interested to see if I can use some other sites with the new shorter MM sensors when they come out. I am older and thin so do not have much fat anywhere, I think that impacts stuff as well. :cwds:Ali

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Darryl,

Where do you insert on Leah? We've been using the bum exclusively because my daughter is so lean, but maybe I should talk her into trying an arm?

4. minniem

minniem Approved members

Darryl,

Do you not actually tape the transmitter down, just the sensor? And it doesn't get caught on anything? We usually tape the transmitter part down too in addition to the sensor, but then have problems removing the transmitter after day 6 to recharge it.

Thanks for the drawings. They were helpful.:cwds:

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Yes - we tape the edge of the transmitter down with another half-piece of 1624W. It's easy to remove at the 6-day restart, just insert something like a a ball point pen between the transmitter and tegaderm and it peels off. Be sure to not lift the sensor at all.

6. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Same here, we've never even tried the arm or anywhere else. But a lot of people do use the arm.

7. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

We've been doing the CGM for more than 3 years now, replacing the sensor once a week unless it's accidentally pulled out, or it's inaccurate (which isn't very often) then we change it sooner. The only time he's gone without it is when he went to diabetic camp.

We're still on the same transmitter. It has hairline cracks now it but it's covered by tegaderm so it's not a problem. We do have a backup transmitter and I got it out the other day thinking that it was maybe time to switch, but it won't charge so I need to call medtronic to try to get a replacement.

We only use the arms. I've tried suggesting other sites but my son won't go for it. We haven't seen any signs of problems from not rotating sites. I try to shift it around on his arm so I'm not always hitting the same spot.

Fortunately accuracy has been very good for a long time and we haven't had a bad batch of sensors since that first summer (2009).