- advertisement -

Medtronic CGM settings

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Nov 29, 2011.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

How do you have your Sensor Settings? We have ours to repeat a high at 3 hours and a low at 30 minutes. But during the night, the pump alerted 3 times in a row. I gave her carbs with the 1st two( 70 & 74), but by the third, I felt I would be overfeeding what was then a borderline number (80) with carbs still kicking in. I am also fully now awake.:(

We typically have the CGM alarm for lows at 80. Last night I shifted it to 70 as the SG was running about 10 points under the BG, and I didn't want to be awakened for non-lows if I could help it.

2. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

I believe we have ours set to 2 or 2.5 hours for highs and 1 hour for lows. We've found that with the lows, it was just taking much longer than expected for the sensor to catch up. We're pretty good about followup testing, so the additional low alarms weren't providing value.

We've also found that if you can get your predictive low alarms tweaked/set properly, they can substantially limit the number of lows. I think we've got our predictive low set to 20 minutes.

Best of luck!

3. MomofSweetOne

What do you have your low alarm set at? Since ours is at 80, I turn the predictive alerts off at night. I don't want to be alarmed that she might hit 80. 80 is our protection against lows & sensor margin of error. I'm sure we'd use them if we had it set at 60.

The CGM is awesome for sleep on good nights...and others? Well, I'm thankful for the advice to reset for 45 minutes to an hour for another low. It seems like it gets stuck at low for a while even after she has carbs.

4. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I have found that for us the predictive alarms at night are better than the low/high alarm only because if we react to the predictive alarms we have fewer lows and highs which in turn reduces those repeated low/high alarms. I've also been known to silence alarms for a while when I know things are moving in the right direction.
    The alarms are currently set at 80/150 at night and during the day because he's more active and eating more at 90/180.
    We also utilize reduced/increased basals a great deal at night to combat predicted lows/highs that correlate to fingersticks. This has been very helpful, too.

5. MomofSweetOne

How aare your predicative alert rates set? I really appreciate all this help. My daughter had turned the predictive alerts off immediately, so we're just now discovering when they are useful.

6. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

Same here!