- advertisement -

Medtronic CGM questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momontherun, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

We our about to hopefully start CGMing in a few hours. We have the medtronic soft sensor.

Any tips on best time to calibrate with kids who eat all day long or active, active some days.?

Websites you recommend to troubleshoot or lengthen the life of the sensor.

Any other tips for success.

How are you taping the device?

Thanks for the help. I tried searching and had limited success.

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

My tips for accuracy are to give the sensor a long time to get "wet" before starting things up, and to wait until the most stable times (ideally as close as possible to your target range, but to me, steady is more important than # to me) to calibrate, even if it means losing data for a bit.

Good luck! The Dex intrigues me, but we are still really happy with the performance of our MM CGM!

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

One thing I would add to Caroline's tips is that many people find that they have to put a piece of tape UNDER the transmitter, or it will leave a nasty sort of burn mark on their child's skin. My son doesn't have sensitive skin, but we definitely had to do this.

On day 3, 72 hours after you first connected the transmitter, you will get a Sensor End message. If you want to keep using that same sensor, just go into the Sensor menu on the pump and tell it that it is a new sensor. You will be asked for a calibration within 5 minutes, another one at the 6 hour point (which you can do any time before then too), and then you're off and running for another 3 days. At the end of day 6, you can do the same thing. On the end of day 7, you will get a weak signal that will eventually become a lost sensor. If you want to keep using the sensor at that point, you have to disconnect the transmitter and charge it before you tell the pump it is a new sensor. That was too big of a hassle for us, so we always just changed on day 7.

My best tip on calibration is to try to stay ahead of the calibration schedule. For us, upon waking was often the best time to calibrate. Then we would try to calibrate at some point late afternoon, and then again at his bedtime or my bedtime. But if there was another time where I took his BG and it was fairly level, I'd calibrate then too.

Keep in mind that the sensor will typically be most accurate in the range that you calibrate it in.

Best of luck!

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

5. Momontherun

Thanks for the help.

Another question, what about bleeding with insertion. Do you anyle the catheter of the sensor more the. 45 degrees with skinny kid?

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I used to, because we were told to do so, but it is definitely a challenge with a skinny 3, 4, or 5 year old! Now I just use the guide. It bleeds occasionally, but no more than it did when we angled it.

7. hawkeyegirl

We generally went with the 45 degree angle, but I was never too concerned with bleeding. Our "bleeders" worked just as well as our other sensors.

8. Momontherun

Thanks for the help. I am wondering how you tape down the sensor before attaching the transmitter?

The first cgm start went so had a lot of weak signals and then reboots.

9. hawkeyegirl

We just put a piece of tape over the purple part on the sensor. But there's really no reason not to attach the transmitter right away. If you want to let the sensor get wet before starting that session, insert the sensor, attach the transmitter, and tape them both down. Then just don't start them on the pump until you're ready. The 2 hour countdown to calibration starts when you connect the transmitter, so if you start the sensor on the pump more than 2 hours after you've connected the transmitter, you'll get a "Meter BG Now" within 5 minutes once you start the sensor on the pump.

10. Momontherun

Thank you for the advice that makes sense. I am sure I will have more questions as we learn the cgm.

11. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We don't tape it down, but DS wears sites on his bum, and he covers up with underwear!

12. Momontherun

His sensor and transmitter fell of with in 15 minutes of swimming today. Tried using the opsite flex fit to secure the site was a bust. Medtronic was nice about sending a replacement and a"taping" kit.

13. Ti'sMom

Ti'sMom Approved members

We use iv3000 to tape my sons transmitter down. He wears it on his arm (back of arm) now and we no longer get sensor errors and it's been a lot more accurate. We had a lot of issues when he wore it on his bum. He's also very thin. I've noticed of late that he's getting those "burn" looking marks. What kind of tape are you using underneath?

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

How did you tape it down with the opsite Flex fit? This is all we use and ours stays on great the 6 to 7 days of the sensor. With swimming and cross country. It is always a chore to pull off the tape at the end.

We tape it like Hawkeye showed us. After insertion I put one strip on top of the area where the transmitter goes. Next put on transmitter. Then one long piece going over the transmitter from side to side to skin. Next one skinny piece across the top of the plastic part above transmitter

15. hawkeyegirl

We find that if Jack swims the same day we put on a site or sensor, the water will take it off. For us, the tape needs at least 12 hours to adhere to his skin before swimming. And once the site is wet, trying to add tape to it is useless.

16. Momontherun

We will give this a try. We used to wide strips over the transmitter. I think it needed to obviously reinforced better. Do have pictures of taping a Medtronic transmitter sensor or know of a link.
    The sensor we are using now is working great going on 24 hours numbers with in 5 points of meter. The trends are wonderful. My son hates it but It is growing on him. He is already thinks we don't need to check the blood glucose because his can just look at his CGM.