- advertisement -

Medtronic CGM - Best Sites??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Oct 9, 2011.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

What are your favorite sites for inserting the sensor? We've only used the bum so far. My DD is quite thin (4'10", 80 lbs.), so I'm concerned other sites might not have enough fat to insert into? Whenever she sleeps on her back, the sensor starts reading low or lost signal, so I'd like to find a different spot to try.

2. Lize

Lize Approved members

|At first when the new Enlite sensor was launched, we inserted in the belly. Terrible experience - false lows which resulted in Basal delivery suspensions night after night. Then we tried the bum - same problem at night. As soon as she turned on the side where the sensor was inserted it gave a false low. I was ready to quit altogether on CGM. And then we found our happy place... upper thigh! I will never again use any other site for the sensor than this. Although MM did not register the sensor for use on the thigh, we have:

1. No allergy problems on the skin.
    2. 95% accuracy compared to finger tests from day 1.
    3. NO false lows.
    4. We get a full 6 days wear with a sensor.

Good luck as I know how frustrating this can be

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Thank you! Do you insert on the inner, front, or side thigh? Do you pinch up as you insert? We have the Sof-sensor rather than the Enlite. How do they differ?

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

The only place we use for sensors is in the arm, the outer arm. We get fantastic results, hardly any false lows and it doesn't bother her there. We started out using the tush, but it bothered her there and didn't last as long so now we only use the arm.

5. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I well use top of thigh and occasionally back of arm. I also get 7 full days of wear here.

6. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We have always used his tummy but are tormented with false lows overnight. I had to turn off the low suspend on the VEO as it was shutting off several times a night. This week we tried the inner thigh for the first time - I haven't had a false low yet - unfortunately it has lost the sensor instead - three times! My son likes the leg so we are going to strap the pump to his leg overnight and hopefully that will take care of the lost sensor problem.

7. Malak

Malak Approved members

We have been using the enlite for the last 6 month, no one frm Medtronic mentioned anything to us about the false low at nights hence we were trying to calibrate and get the sensors going which in turn resulted in short life of the sensors and very false reading. We have tried the abdomen but find it very bad in terms of false lows. The buttocks are better better we get persistantly false lows all night and no readings from the sensor. It seems to wake up whem my daughter get up and has a relatively good accuracy. VEry frusttrating, Keen to hear your experince and advise.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've only used 3 Enlite sensors and had exactly the same problems. It's a real shame, because they are so much more comfortable to insert and wear.

9. Malak

Malak Approved members

I have a lot of discussion with MM, we have used over than 25 sensors and no one told us of these issue. It sounded like we were the only one getting these problems !!! I beleive that Medtronic should have awarning on the enlite stating that they may be unreliable at night due to pressure while sleeping. Any tips on how to get it to work at night rather than persistant false lows?

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

My theory is that it works best in the areas with more fat, and where pressure isn't applied overnight. So for me, abdomen works better, but I still don't have a good layer of fat there and still get false lows overnight. I imagine that buttocks would be a good place for a lot of kids, although lots of people sleep on their back so I don't know..

11. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

So last night I strapped the pump to his thigh. No false lows and no lost sensors. It has also been extremely accurate. I think we will be sticking to the inner thigh for a while. He was expecting the insertion to be terrible (in fact, so was I) but he was amazed that it was actually a whole lot less painful than the tummy! Medtronic are well aware of the issue with pressure on the sensors (sof-set and enlite) they just don't advertise it.

12. Malak

Malak Approved members

I am very frustrated with Medtronic as we have been going through hell with enlite sensors , false lows all night, no sleep for six month and extensive discussion with their scientific people but never mentioned that the enlite is very sensitive to pressure. I believe that the FDA and other regulatory bodies should enforce the ethical disclosure of issues such as this by Medtronic. The sensors should carry a clear warning about the possible failure due to pressure and inaccuracy at night. ! am intereseted to learn of other users experience if this is a common problem and have they been able to work around it! Cheers.

13. Lize

Lize Approved members

We use the front upper thigh - about 10 cm below the panty line.

I would say the SofSensor and Enlite's main difference (for us) is that the Enlite has a thinner needle and the angle of insertion differs. I know many will differ from me, but with our experience that's about it. IF the SofSensor was still available in my country, I would not have thought twice about rather using the SofSensor :p Just my opinion.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

You would rather use the SofSensor than Enlite?

I'm still ordering SofSensors and dreading the day that I can't anymore. It's partly because Enlites are so much more expensive, but also because the accuracy is probably better for me with SofSensors. They are more painful, though.

15. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

O my, this is like reading my own lines, false lows all the time in the night. We have gone back to the old sensors and they were a bit better although the accuracy is a bit off. Last month, none of the Enlite sensor lasted more than 3 days. It gets really frustrated. Yesterday in the night I have re pricked DD for the first time in the upper tight as I have read. So far half of the night was great, but lets see what this will bring.
    Medtronic should really do something about that.

16. Malak

Malak Approved members

Do you contact Medtronic about the Enlite false low all night, what is their response. Do they change the senors if it last 3-4 days ? Do they give you a hard time and waist one hour of your time in silly questions that does not fix or address the problem?

17. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

We do complain almost all the time, but one of the reasons for 3-4 days is also that my DD is always scratching it due to the allergy to the plasters and after 2nd day it starts itching (and we have tried it all). And then the sensor moves and come out totally.
    And the second, we got 1 box from them free so the guy said that he cant change those because of the false lows.
    But I have to say that so far is our 2nd day on the upper tights and the sensor is working pretty good and so far not a single false low. So maybe it is the site problems.

18. Malak

Malak Approved members

We all need to keep pressure on medtronic to realise the extent of the problem and post appropriate warnings on the products. Thank you and good luck!

19. zuzinka

zuzinka Approved members

Yes, actually we all should complain, those new sensors are just coming into the market and will be here for a while, so its better if they do something about it now.

I was the person that I did hate the 3 hours gap, when we have inserted the new sensor, where I was really missing it, but now sometimes I would rather switch this enlite off and have the night without it. Gets really frustrating.

20. Lize

Lize Approved members

Jip - I wouldn't think twice about rather using SofSensors than the Enlite. Only problem is that we can not get them anymore over here. :(