- advertisement -

Medtronic 530G - getting it!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Anja821, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

Just got off the phone with CCS medical. Son's 522 is coming out of warranty so it's time to get a new pump. This is the one that was just approved by the FDA 2-3 weeks ago. I'm willing to try it and since we've met our insurance deductible for the year, we're paying almost nothing. OMG, I'm so excited! We had the CGMS from Medtronic a few years ago and it was awful. I switched to Dexcom and was much happier, but I must say, even with the new one we got earlier this year, sometimes his sugar is 100 points off of what the sensor says it is.

Anyway, the next step after this will be a pump that delivers glucagon .. but I guess that's a few years away.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I hope the enlite sensor works well for you :cwds:

On the dual chamber pump, it may be medtronic, but it could be someone else. Of course it will only be meaningful if the sensor technology is up to snuff.

3. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

That's great! Please post your review after your son has the new pump. Would love to know how the LGS feature works for him, and also if there are differences between the 530G and Veo.

Yes, I too am waiting with abated breath for a dual chambered pump (and integrated cgms) for dd. We will switch to the first workable model. . . Brand is unimportant. Probably tandem/Dexcom with the target date of 2017.

4. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

enline sensor starts today

we used the last of our Dexcom sensors (surprise surprise, it was a brand new sensor and it failed.) This morning I plugged son in with the new enline for the first time. Let's see how this goes.

The issue I have right off the bat is that my son refuses to wear either the insulin set or sensor anywhere except his butt cheek. I guess all the sensors are FDA tested and approved for the abdomen and we hoped this time we could convince him to switch to his belly. Alas, it was not to be.

I don't know if anyone remembers but the boy also has Asperger's so changing up his routine is extremely difficult sometimes, especially when it comes to matters of his body. Anyway, we'll make it work.

Keep you posted!

5. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Let us know how it goes. Hoping to get an approval for the new system soon.

6. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Congrats! We are on the list for our 530G because we are going the Pathway 2 route. I didn't want to wait to use the Enlite sensors though so we ordered those and we are using them with our Revel now until we get our 530G. We are on day 10 of our first sensor that was inserted a week ago Sunday. Very impressed so far with insertion and accuracy. :)

7. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

what a PAIN in the BUTT

My son and I are both frustrated with the new system. He wants to go back to the Dexcom. :mad:

The sensor I put in on the weekend keeps failing; the sensor goes offline at random times; if a calibration is overdue, it won't do anymore readings and while yes... the pump stops delivery when it senses he is going low, it does not restart when the glucose starts rise so he can climb into the 300s overnight. He does not wake up to the alarm, and I don't hear it where I am in the house.

Alas, nice try Medtronic. I will stay with the system because the numbers are accurate when it's working, and it's nice to have all-in-one rather than having my son wear 2 units on his belt. If he were much younger, I would go back to Dexcom but now that he's a little older, he can feel if he's going low which he never was able to do previously.

8. Momontherun

Sorry to hear the frustration. My son's 530 g is on its way. I am excited to see how it goes but am holding my breath. He has a lot of weak signal issues. What location are you placing the cgm sensor? Stomach or different site?

9. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

We use his butt cheeks because his stomach is not secure or stable enough. (Last week, the dog stepped on him and out came the sensor. )

10. Momontherun

The new pump came today but no sensors, or serter. Did you get those items from the trainer or in the starter kit. We only had the pump box items and a big folder . I called Medtronic and they said one sensor should be I the box. I am confused. I couldn't get this clarified my 2 yo started vomiting. Thanks

11. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We use back of arms for the Enlite sensor same place we used for Dexcom and Sof sensors.
    We have never had a Enlite or sof sensor come out. My other son's Dexcom I have to keep retaping or it falls off. We use Opsite tape on the Enlite sensor.

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I just got my 530G system on Monday. It came with one box of sensors, a transmitter, a new meter, the works.

13. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

grrrr

I was wrong about the low glucose suspend. It does restart after 2 hours, which, to me, seems too long.

I can't seem to get more than a few days out of a sensor; I just pulled another one out because of calibration errors. It was reading 72 when he as actually 331. I tried restarting it and recalibrating but then the errors just wouldn't clear out.

But to answer your question, our kit came with everything we needed.

14. JessiF

JessiF Approved members

Can't you manually hit a "resume delivery" or something?

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yes you can.