- advertisement -

Medingo...I think it's it could be great

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Janimal, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Janimal

Janimal Approved members

I got my sample in the mail and wore it. Much thinner profile that Omnipod. I know someone posted the pictures and it did not look dramatic there, but on my body it looks very significant. I know there was a concern that it is not waterproof, but it disconnects very easily. We disconnect now with the Minimed so it is not a big deal. My son did not think it was advantagous over his pump because he would still have to carry the remote around, but I can see for younger kids it would be great. Also for women who are usually carrying a purse anyway.

2. Toni

Toni Banned

I ordered one also. Showed it to DN. She said "It's so big":confused: I think she meant it would be a bigger footprint on the body than the set. Thought she'd be impressed; go figure...... I really like it though. Minimed's wireless supposedly will look a lot like the Solo. Who knows when either will hit the market.

3. MLH

MLH Approved members

I got my sample too. I like how you can reuse the pod for up to 90 days. Isn't competition great!

4. CatiesDad

CatiesDad Approved members

I agree. Got the sample the other day. Looks great. Hopefully this pushes Omnipod and other pump companies to keep improving design.

5. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

how do you get a sample?

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

You know, honestly I'm surprised that Omnipod hasn't done colored pods... or at least "pod skins" (stickers).

7. susan

susan Approved members

I am very shocked that they haven't started coloring the pods..I know Davis would like to have a colored one, and yes I know you can color them or put stickers on them but it's not the same..

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I ordered a sample a while ago but so far it's a no show. :rolleyes: Color would be great - Maddie's one complaint with the Omnipod ( close your eyes please podders) was that she thinks it's ugly. She might think this looks less tumorish ;)

9. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

I would love no tubing, and the Medingo product seems like it should be very good, especially since you can bolus directly from the unit. But we will probably wait until this feature can be integrated with a CGMS.

I don't think we would be without it, since she has benefitted in so many ways.

10. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Our sample just arrived and I am intrigued. :cool: Can't wait for it to be released and get specifics on the basal rates and such. Anybody know how much it will cost?

In my opinion the Solo has a significant advantage, you don't have to waste insulin like you do on the Omnipod. When we would get an alarm or have to do an emergency pod change I always cringed throwing out all that insulin.

The Solo's remote looks alot more cell phone like from what I could tell from the brochure. The picture of the guy fiddling with it makes it look very slim almost ipodish. Not as big and bulky as Omnipod's Old PDM. I don't have experience with the newer pdm. ;) The mock up also shows the basal rate and how much insulin is left on the home screen. It has a big bolus window illustrated on the home-screen. Not sure if that is a bolus short cut or something else. Temp basal and status looks to have their own shortcut buttons. We have been off the Omnipod so I don't know how it compares to the new pdm, hopefully someone can chime in and compare.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think it has potential. I also wonder if J&J/Animas are eyeing a purchase of Insulet as we speak. I think tubeless pumps are the future, and I've not heard of one in development by Animas.

The similarities of the Solo to MM's prototype are striking to me. Of course, they may differ in a lot of practical ways, but the design is very similar.

12. Adinsmom

Adinsmom Approved members

Animas has access to Debiotech nanopump technology. They purchased the rights to it in 2004 here is a link.

13. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

We actually got 2 samples in the mail (maybe we got one of someone's who did not ever get thiers.) DH was impressed - but DD was even more impressed. She said she wanted it when she gets to middle school (not for a few years!):D

I love the ability to remove part of it. We have not put either of them on yet to try - but have been playing with them - taking them off the base and all.

In all - it is very promising - I think!:)

14. M&M's mom

M&M's mom Approved members

Got our sample last week. Like some of the features-such as IOB for meals, however several of our favorite features of the omnipod are not avail on the solo such as the 'quick automated cannula insertion'. Makenzie can even do herself. Also since omnipod is waterproof she was able to wear it all summer in the pool and at the beach with no issues...sure sometime a tubeless pump will ALL the bells and whistles will be out! Competion is always good.