- advertisement -

medicine for vomiting

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I remember seeing it on here, that is, a medicine for throwing up. I think it was a prescription and everyone said it was great. I have just done a search for it but could not find it. So what is the name of the stuff, please? Is it the same as Emetrol (Phosphoric acid)? Has anyone used Emetrol and does it work well enough?

(Just got some Emitrol for my non-diabetic son and maybe it worked? But wanted to have some in the house for my DD just in case)

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Zofran....

3. HBMom

HBMom Approved members

We find it is best to get the Orally Disintegrating Tablets (of Zofran) if you can.

4. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

We just got the generic version of Zofran (the pill dissolved in her mouth). Not sure if her vomiting was already stopping, or if the pill did it but either way I'm glad to have it around.

5. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

There are a few, and for the general pediatric population, there is lot of controversy (in health care) about the safety and wisdom in prescribing antiemetic / anti nausea medications. Zofran (ondansetron) has the greatest number of research studies regarding efficacy, particularly oral disintegrating tabs. Phenergan (promethazine) has also been shown to be effective, and is usually prescribed as a suppository, though tabs are available, and it isn't considered safe in kids under 2. Reglan and compazine can also be effective, but are much less often prescribed for kids or for gastroenteritis (stomach bugs.) The problem with all anti nausea meds is that they were developed to be given in anticipation of nausea. That's why zofran is sometimes given in a double dose, though it's really supposed to be two full doses separated by 30 minutes, and subsequent doses spread much further apart.

The goal with anti nausea meds is to avoid dehydration, so if you can get your kiddo to keep down OTC meds that are anti nausea, that's preferred since anti nausea meds do have side effects. Most common is worsening diarrhea. Benadryl is an antihistamine that has anti nausea properties, but again there are safe dosing considerations, and certain regular sodas (i.e. gingerale) have syrups that are naturally antiemetic (see, not just an old wives' tale).

Recently there was a shortage of zofran in the news and stories about pediatric cancer patients not receiving it prior to chemotherapy, so there's likely some resistance to prescribing it right now. For our kiddos though, if nothing is working in terms of keeping fluids down, and hospitalization looks inevitable, the publication that was circulated with prescribing guidelines during the shortage does allow MDs to prescribe it for T1D kids with gastroenteritis. How well zofran works varies person to person, some people love it, others say it's worthless. Personally, I prefer phenergan (promethazine), but I've been able to talk our ped into prescribing the tabs. It does have extreme sleepiness as a side effect, and can cause bizarre dreams. A friend whose teen has cancer prefers compazine because he can get the transdermal patch that he places behind his ear, but I've never found it that helpful with stomach bugs.

6. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Approved members

We use Ondanestron. ...But, something tells me it's the same as Zofran - maybe the generic equivalent???