- advertisement -

Medication nightmare

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kaileen, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

Just wanted to let y'all know what happened. :D

1:11pm: 90 BG
    3:40pm: 102 BG

All snacks that were taken to school this afternoon were brought home untouched. She had two slices of bread upon arrival home (18g total). We decided to let that go uncovered, since dinner is in an hour and we can correct it then if bad.

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Wow, good call. But it was close eh? Have to wrap my mind around what that implies for TDD and ratios/factors. Maybe your homework to figure that out.. :)

I'm out again tonight, gonna lay low :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Can I just say,
    Great work Kai'leen and James

4. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I just read through all 19 pages of posts. I just have to say how impressed I am with all of you here. The help that is given to others is amazing.

I hope that you get into a new endo soon. The other one needs to be shot for being an idiot.

My son was dx last December as T1 and has not EVER had ketones except at dx. He has had too many over 600 reading and still no ketones. He weighs
    120 lbs. and is 5ft7. So I know it is not T2. My g'ma is T2 and has had them. I do not think this is a good enough reason to dx someone either T1 or T2.

Best of luck to you.

5. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

Wow. All 19 pages? I admire your stamina! :D

This isn't going as quickly as I'd hoped. If we can't get in to see this one, we're going to have to look out of town.

Yeah. I thought this was crazy myself. She has never had ketones, even at Dx: but I knew what the pediatrician was saying wasn't quite right.

Thanks for the well wishes, and I return the same to you!

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

hey, how'd the last day go? :cwds:

7. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

Today has been... well... interesting, to say the least. :D Her numbers have been all over the board today.
    7:18am: 117
    9:51am: 173
    12:08pm: 174
    5:25pm: 175
    7:57pm: 424 (but this was after dinner: we had tacos, so we waited to bolus so she could eat what she wanted. Plus she lost a baby tooth during dinner.)
    9:35pm: 54 (figured out bolus back to 200. Didn't quite work that well.) :D

She's eating a snack now. We'll check her again later...

I also got all of her school lunch menu foods in an Excel spreadsheet. I don't have to search through a sheaf of papers anymore. I can just type and find. I heart Excel.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  8. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Yes, quite the swing there at the end of the day. :) I'm familiar with THAT scenario. :rolleyes: Heck, let us know how it goes post snack.

9. wilf

wilf Approved members

She was "steady as she goes" in the 170s through the day, just looks like supper that became problematic. When was supper, and how much insulin was there for how many g carbs?

10. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Maybe her fingers weren't clean for the 424? That number seems out of place and then the low later.

11. Kaileen

Kaileen Approved members

Hands were clean for the 424. As I said, that was after dinner, and she was extremely excited about losing the tooth.

She had one hard shell taco and 2 glasses of sweet tea. I know it was the tea that did it. I gave her a correction of 8 to bring the 424 down to 200.

424-200 = 224: 224/30 = 7.4666666666. I went ahead and gave her 8, which was the cause of the torrential plummet.

She just tested again, and she's up to 89. I had her grab a piece of white bread to be safe. She loves bread. We'll check again in about 30 minutes.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

It is very hard to correct from a high BG at supper time, because insulin sensitivity often starts to increase in the evening. You did not too badly, and now you know that you need to round down next time. :eek:

The way I see it the whole day's readings were over 100 and under 200 (with the exception of the supper/correction excursion), and tend to indicate that you're well on track. :)

What's TDD going to end up looking like today?

13. Mom to S&S

Mom to S&S Approved members

Do they sell Milo's tea in Mississippi or is it just Alabama thing? It is sold in the gallon jug in the refrigerated section (my Publix keeps it by the deli). They have a FANTASTIC no calorie sweet tea. It is the container with the yellow label. I hate artificially sweetened sweet tea, and I drink this. You would have no idea it isn't the real thing unless someone told you. It has 0 carbs so it could save you the spike at dinner.

14. JamesofClinton

JamesofClinton Approved members

We've got it here at Krogers. I've seen it there. I'm the tea brewer and it's not that sugary! I'll have to try Didi on some.

Kai'll be in with the numbers later. Didi's doing fine so far.