- advertisement -

MedicAlert bracelet/ID tag - do you actually wear it?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Aidyn, Feb 19, 2008.

1. xstaybeautiful

xstaybeautiful Approved members

I used to when I was younger and newly diagnosed but the novelty soon wore off.
    The problem is I have always found it hard to find something that didn't exactly SCREM medic alert. For something I have to wear everyday I want it to be something functional and pretty (being a teen girl).
    so after scouring the internet and all of the companies I know for medical jewlery, I finally gave up and went about creating my own. I bought a regular charm bracelet I liked and a plain stainless steel tag to attach as a charm. There are a lot of places where you can have a tag engraved for a nominal fee (most of these places can also engrave the medic alert symbol without the red enamel paint). That way you can have a unique piece of jewlery and still be safe.

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

They never call the number. They only use the medical information on the bracelet. They only use it in order to find the problem, and then treat it. The paramedics and the hospital do not have the time to go around calling phone numbers.

3. sofaraway

sofaraway Approved members

yes i wear mine all the time, only ever comes off occasioanlly during football matchs

4. Kent T

Kent T Approved members

Hi,

I wear mine always except for when working on electronic equipment, changing records or changing open reel tapes. I also carry a card in my pocket as added insurance.

5. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

Aidyn, it is funny that you are asking about this because I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I feel dumb that I don't wear one, but I just don't WANNA. :(

WHy does this bother me so much more than needles and stuff?? :confused:

6. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

I wear a medic alert necklace. The pendant is just a stainless steel disc that has the universal medical sign(Caduseus?) at the bottom. It has my name, SS #, and Type 1 Diabetes. I forget what site I bought it from. I think I might need to get a new one because the red paint has washed off over the past couple of years and you have to look at it really good to read the information from it. I also have a standard military issue stainless steel dogtag that has my name, SS # and blood type. I used to be into everything military and I bought a set of dogtags because I thought they looked cool. When I was diagnosed with T1D, I ordered that medical tag. I didn't like having two different necklaces, so I took the medic alert tag off of the chain, took a dogtag off of the chain, and noew I wear one dogtag and the medic alert tag on a stainless steel ball chain. The only time I ever take my necklace off is when I am sleeping, and even then it is right next to me on my bedside table.

7. smile101

smile101 Approved members

I do not have a bracelet. Wear can I get a cute one? I haven't liked the ones I have seen.

8. diamondback688

diamondback688 Approved members

This site has some cute ones. I just put 'cute medic alert bracelets' in Yahoo and that link was the third or fourth one.

9. silversheen

silversheen Approved members

I know this is kinda late for posting but for those who live in the UK this site has a great variety of medical ID bracelet/necklaces.

Oh, I always wear mine. It has my name, that I have diabetes, asthma and my allergies listed and to look for my wallet card.

I can wear it with anything too. It's flat black beads w/ clear round beads and silver disks w/ clasps that hook onto the medical ID. I can buy the bracelets/necklaces or ID parts separate and change them as I like. Very Cool!

They have a separate line for men, women and children/teens.

Ice Gems

http://www.icegems.co.uk/index.asp

Smiles, Silversheen

10. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

i'm probably in the minority, but I've been D1 for 50 years and never worn a bracelet. i use a pump, have a card in my wallet. but i approach my condition differently than most - no one at work knows i'm diabetic. none of my friends or neighbors know. they only people who know are my wife, my kids, my doctor and mother. i've had this along time and have zero complications so it works. i've gone to iraq, to new orleans after katrina and covered every presidential election since 1988. everyone is different, but for me, i firmly believe the less attention i draw to myself the better off i am.

11. maha

maha Approved members

I never wore one.
    I had a card in my wallet, not allways.

But even when I was low, I was allways able to deal with it, find sugars...

12. SPICYSMOM

SPICYSMOM Approved members

I make mine from beads and necklaces.

I buy the $5-8 ones from the pharmacy. Take off the silver chain, and get beads from walmart and make matching bracelets and earrings. Sometimes I have taken long necklaces and broken them up for a shorter necklace, bracelet and earrings. I have a bunch for all type of outfits.

13. GLevy

GLevy New Member

I wear this pendant when I go running by myself or I feel funny
    [​IMG]
    This is a picture from their website (I use gray rubber cord as the necklace) and I had my name and some info engraved on the back. I don't like to wear jewelry so unless there's some risk it stays in my pocket.

14. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I'm always with someone who knows about my diabetes, I have no reason to hide it. I never wear a I D bracelette because I have a human one with me all the time! :)

15. ediabeat

ediabeat New Member

thoughts...

I've been type 1 for over 20 years...i've never worn identification or even carried a card...i've never worn jewlery because all metal gives me hives and i don't carry a purse (too active/busy) so a card would have to be credit card type to not ruin with wear and tear of pockets...luckily nothing serious has ever come about, however i'm getting later in my years and spending more time alone and am about to get a medic alert tattoo on my left wrist...(yes i know the concerns for infection and if they EVER find a cure then i will wear it as a badge of survival)...i've thought looong about the 'openess' of people asking me about i'm like you never been real open about it but would never turn down a question about it...but over the years i've come to a comprimise with the disease and all its baggage..i would much rather explain to the inquisitive about my medical vulnerabilities so if anything ever did come about i would have people on my side, i've even come to appreciate educating people about the difference between types 1 & 2 (we don't/never have had the option to fend off daily doses..we are a small few)...i guess the point...to share my thoughts...is find something that keeps you safe because at the end of the day being embarrased about it is not worth dying because of it...there are lots of options, permanent or not but accept its not going anywhere and part of the baggage is counting on those around you to not assume you could be "publicly drunk"

16. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I wear a Vital ID "most" of the time. Mine is purple and has flowers on it, and apart from the medical ID tag and "vital ID inside" on it, it doesn't stand out... yet it's still obviously an ID if you're up close to it.

My concern is not that I could have a low or something and not take care of myself... but what if I was in a car accident or something and wasn't able to speak for myself.. or if whoever I was with wasn't able to speak for me either. Sure it's a small risk, but it's still a risk.

17. GLevy

GLevy New Member

Just to give another option: there are some nice silicone Diabetes bracelets (like the Lance Armstrong yellow Live Strong bracelets). They look nice, they're comfortable, and they can be removed easily!

18. Davido

Davido New Member

tag your it...

Hi everyone, Ive been tagged type1 for now 40years. I tried to wear a bracelet ; but, it used to irritate my wrist. Tried the neck ones with the same result. I found also if I had these tags on me they would get ripped off by myself during the low blood sugar reactions. If I have a watch or rings on I have to remove them as the watches stop the rings make my fingers feel like they are about to be cut off. With the quartz watches after 3 or 4 hours it feels like their is a spike through my wrist. After lossing many of these tags, many were well meaning gifts. I finally put a card in my wallet. As many know that is where most of the ambulance attendants check for id anyway. I was going to get a tatto on the wrist; but, I thought there would be a cure sooner then later. It is easier to remove a braclet then a tatoo; but, having it in my wallet seems to do the trick.