- advertisement -

MedicAlert bracelet/ID tag - do you actually wear it?

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Aidyn, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

I'm wondering how many of you actually wear a MedicAlert tag. I don't, though I know it's logically a good idea, since a bad low could be mistaken for public drunkenness and not get treated in time, among other potentially unfortunate circumstances.

Some falsely invincible part of me thinks, "Yeah, I know, but I won't ever get that low! I always have sugar on me!" and, "That won't happen to ME! That only happens to BRITTLE diabetics! ;)" but I know it could happen to anyone...

My problem is that I do not want to draw attention to my disease and I'm afraid that everyone will automatically look at my ID tag and stare at it. :eek: I don't want that; I don't want my diabetes to be common knowledge - I'm not entirely private about it, but I want to have the option of telling who *I* want to tell.

What about you? Do you wear an ID tag? What are your feelings on it? Just curious. :)

2. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

I first got Joey the bracelet which is what he chose. Then he came home and told me he was hot in class all day because he didnt want to take off his sweatshirt because 'then everyone would know'. So I had MedicAlert overnight a necklace and he seems more comfortable with that. We really couldnt afford it finacially to order a 2nd one. But I figured Joey comes first, Ill deal w/ the money issues later.

Its really important to have some ID on you at all times. Id rather someone think my kid was drunk and call me then ignore it , not know he's diabetic and have him end up in a coma or worse. Is this making sense? Sorry, only on 1st cup of coffee, hubby & Joey still home sick and I am ohhhhhhhhhh so tired!!

I guess my point is......a necklace can be tucked into a shirt and they have dogtags now which I hear are popular for anyone. If anyone sees it, they may not automatically realize its medicalert. I think telling your friends is important because you need the support. Joey told his 4 closest and nothings changed. Take it 1 day or 1 person at a time & good luck to you!!
    :cwds:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  3. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

I absolutely wear mine all the time.

4. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

Same here. I've got a bracelet that I wear casually, and I also have a really pretty necklace that I wear if I'm going out somewhere nice. I've had several people comment on mine, and suprisingly, most of them have assumed that I wear it for an allergy.

5. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I were mine everyday. I make sure that everyone I am around knows about my daibetes also.
    I have had diabetes 17 years and no one really ever asks about my medical ID, I wear a necklace sometimes too. Not many questions.

6. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

i never take mine off

7. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I have one on my ankle. Probably not the best spot, but better than nothing.

8. pumpgirl

pumpgirl Approved members

I am now 24 and have had diabetes since I was 7. When I was younger, I wore a necklace medic-alert... and for quite a few years. When I hit puberty, my attitude hit as well and I took the medic-alert off and it "disappeared." I've never really had a want or need to wear one until recently. About 4 or 5 months ago, I went to pick my son up from after school daycare. I ALWAYS carry glucose tablets in my purse, which I had at the time. However, my bloodsugar hit so low so fast that by the time I realized I was having a low, I couldn't coordinate my motor skills to reach over in the passenger seat of my car to grab the glucose tablets. I tend to get combative with myself when I have lows, which is exactly what happened to me. I fought with myself in my car for about 30 minutes before I was finally able to manage getting the door to my car open and get into the daycare. I was sooo low by this time, I was unable to even communicate to anyone what was going on. I had the owner of the daycare ask me if I was okay and all I could do was cry and repeatedly say, "Yes, no, yes, no, yes, no!" She called my mom before she found out what the problem was. By the time the paramedics got there, my bloodsugar was down to 24 and I was fighting with myself and them and they had to SIT on me to get an IV in me.

If I had been wearing a medic alert, the owner would've immediately have known what was wrong with me. Instead, she had to search for emergency numbers, call my mom and tell her she thought I was drunk. My mom had to explain to her several times that was NOT the case and to call 911. I now have a medic alert bracelet, however, I have yet to get it adjusted to be small enough to fit my wrist. I really think it's advisable to wear one. My diabetes is in very good control, however there are those times they you may over-dose for your meal (which was my problem) or you may get extreme exercise in and have your bloodsugar drop. I can usually tell when I'm having a low, but if it's dropping very fast, it can get too low before you're able to treat yourself. I highly, highly recommend it. Try getting a bracelet that has a small medic symbol on it... that shouldn't draw too much attn to yourself. It's better than getting arrested for drunk driving when you're really just having a low!

9. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

always.

and there's spares EVERYWHERE. ;)

10. lilituc

lilituc Approved members

11. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

I think I am going to order one from http://www.laurenshope.com - they have several nice looking bands for the ID tag.

I used to wear one sometimes (and for a little while, I never took it off), though because it didn't fit my wrist properly (too big for my wrist), it fell off and I haven't bothered to replace it.

Pumpgirl - what an awful story! :( I am so glad they finally found out what you needed, though reading stuff like that makes me think, "Ut oh, one day I might not be so lucky..." and makes me realize that there is a really good reason to wear the MedicAlert. I had a sort of crappy experience myself once: I thought I was going to eat dinner, so I bolused for that. Then, I realized I had to drop something off with one of my friends. She worked at a music store and was almost done with her shift, so I figured I'd go there, hang around until she came out, then we'd have lunch together.

The problem was, she got held up with something in the back and didn't come out when I thought she would. I felt my blood sugar rapidly dropping and I realized I didn't have anything sugary on me. I decided to go up to the counter and say, "Hey I'm Aidyn, I'm waiting for my friend, she isn't out yet (insert long-winded, not completely coherant story here), and I'm diabetic and I NEED SUGAR NOW!!" Both people at the counter exchanged glances and said, "WHAT? I only caught maybe half of that..." One of them assumed I was drunk, and since my blood sugar was dropping and causing me to have difficulty forming sentences I just said, "Sugar! I'm...diabetic...SUGAR... ok...sugar...SUGAR!" until I was given a regular Coke.

It was really, really embarrassing, though after my blood sugar came up, I explained the story in a more comprehensible fashion.

funnygrl - I work with a bunch of paramedics who told me that they rarely even check ankles for MedicAlert stuff (I was thinking about wearing mine as an ankle bracelet and asked)... just wrists and necks, where it is more visible. :(

12. Mommacasey

Mommacasey Approved members

If you haven't ordered one yet, you might want to also check out CuteMedicalBracelets.com
    They're just as cute and way less expensive.

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I wear a medic alert bracelet and carry a card in my wallet my meter case that says if I am acting strange or whatever to me something with sugar in it and to call 911. No one asks me about it and I have not felt different about wearing it. I know some are self conscious about wearing something that says they have a condition like diabetes, but even a card in a wallet will help.

14. Armyemily

Armyemily Approved members

never take it off

15. Bob @ Joy of Diabetes

Bob @ Joy of Diabetes Approved members

In my 44 years of D I know of at least 2 times that my Medic Alert saved me
    yes, I wear my bracelet

16. whistler

whistler Approved members

I haven't for a good 6 years. I never took it off my first 5, but after having 6 different ones and them always braking or falling off I got sick of buying new ones.

I see very well how they help and I have no problem wearing one, I just haven't gone to get one. It's stupid, but luckily I've never been hospitalized or not been able to treat myself. I'm going to check out those 2 websites posted.

17. Ali

Ali Approved members

I have never worn one in 37 years. Was never suggested to me to wear one and now that I use a pump (five years) I figure it will be self evident if needed. But...I recognize I should probably wear one anyway.:p Ali

18. moco89

moco89 Approved members

19. Knoxs_dad

Knoxs_dad New Member

Medic-Alert

I have been wearing a medic-alert for 37 years. It has been replaced several times, movedfrom the neck/chest to the wrist but it has always been a mainstay somewhere on my body. Highly recommended!

Peter

20. diabeticmonkey

diabeticmonkey Approved members

Road ID ----Interactive Version????

im thinking about getting one of these. maybe in the interactive version. I also been thinking if I do get the Interactive do Paramedics Actually call the number to get more info?