- advertisement -

Medical Release for Boy Scouts?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WillowBean, Mar 11, 2010.

1. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

I took Josh to a few Boy Scout meetings this fall. We never officially joined because Josh got busy with other activities. Josh started back at Boy Scouts a few weeks ago and now the paper work to sign up includes a new paper - a medical release that has to be completed by his doctor. The paper work states that diabetes is a "risk factor' that may limit his participation.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this normal for all Boy Scouts?

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

my guess is its probably standard Boy scout policy.. I'd question them about the diabetes and risk factor stuff.

3. Traci

Traci Approved members

We've been in scouts for four years and have never seen one of those type forms. With that being said, I can tell you that scouts is very "risk-adverse" so it would not surprise me at all that they would request it. I just know that we personally have never had to fill one out.

4. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I think this is probably just a standard form. I have one Eagle Scout and one getting ready to do his Eagle project.

I think you will encounter this more often the older your son gets. As far as BSA, my boys have to have a new physical yearly to participate in some of the campouts and summer camp. Then they have to have a new physical everytime they go on a high adventure camp or to Philmont or Jamboree. Although, my neither of my sons have D, I think that asthma is also listed as a possible restriction. My younger son is going to Jamboree this summer and just had his physical last week. He was told he needs to lose 10 pounds because there are strict weight requirements (especially for Philmont since they are carrying such big loads in their backpacks).

You will also encounter this in middle school & high school if your son is involved in any type of athletics. My daughter goes through the free physical at school but then has to have her pedi or endo sign off on a form because she does have diabetes.

I wouldn't be offended or alarmed if I were you. They are most likely just trying to make sure that all the boys, including your son, are safe and taken care of in the best way possible. I don't think they are trying to restrict him. We had to make all sorts of special arrangements when my older son went to Northern Tier because of his peanut allergy. They wanted to make sure they had (and didn't have) everything they needed because it was a 2 week long hike in the middle of nowhere and they wanted to keep him safe and avoid an emergency situation.

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

There is an annual medical form each scout is to have on file -- I would call it a release, although there is hold harmless section at the end. Was this the form: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34605_Letter.pdf? The section you are quoting is in this form. Keep in mind, the form is for adults as well. Scouts have more problems with unhealthy adults than the boys.

Keep in mind that scouting is led by volunteers at the troop and district level. I went on all campouts and meetings until my son could take care of himself. (It was a great opportunity for him to have the chance to do things himself.) The leaders will definitely act appropriately with an emergency, but you will need to work out details of what you want adults to do for daily care with a willing volunteer.

My son is going on a Philmont Trek this summer and the leaders will definitely keep an eye on him, knowing he has diabetes. The medical staff at the scout reservation need to know as well in case there is an emergency.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

My older (non-D) son is in boy scouts and we have to do a medical form each year before he goes to camp - and a form from his doctor that in a nutshell says he is fit or what his issues are (he doesn't really have any health issues).

He is just 12 so he isn't ready for the big stuff yet like Philmont. He is going to Jamboree. I know there is another kid in his troop with some restricting medical issues (he is anaphylactic to several foods and highly allergic to many others) so he cannot really eat from the group cooking and has to cook for himself. His dad goes will him still as he is younger.

I don't know how the diabetes would "limit his participation." Perhaps depending on his age they would want a parent to go along on some events. The adults are all volunteer parents and they are not obligated to be trained in diabetes care I would guess (such as a school is obligated or a day care).

**I'm editing cause your son with diabetes is 6 years old yes? So this is cub scouts and not Boy Scouts then? They are run differently - the parents are much more active in the cub scout dens. I would guess they will expect a parent to supervise (mandatory if he is a Tiger).

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I didn't notice that Josh would be a tiger cub or first year cub scout, if in second grade. These guys are limited to what they can do -- none of it is without lots of adult supervision.

All the form states is that some activities for scouts can cause a problem with a boy with diabetes and caution needs to be taken. Remember the same form is used for all people involved in scouts.