- advertisement -

Medical ID Advice?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ColleenL, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is what we use too. Ours actually has the medical alert on it, and it's pretty obvious to see. We did talk to an EMT at the FD open house last year and we showed him the bracelet. He said that it was fine, it was very noticable because it was a standard color, but reminded us it should always be on the left arm as that's where they always check first.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

A medic alert bracelet is for those times where you cannot respond to questions about your daughter. Emergency personnel are trained to look for bracelets and necklaces. Not all emergency personnel are familiar with the pumps. Not wearing an ID tag will just delay the emergency personel while they figure out what is going on.

I am specifically thinking of a car accident where the driver is incapacitated, but the child in a car seat is relatively safe.

One would hope the need for the medic bracelet would not arise, but it does happen.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Yes, I am really big on having DS "labeled" just in case of emergency. Especially in the car! Finally decided to put a "diabetic passenger" sticker in the car window and also got some temp tattoos for days he won't wear his bracelet. With his other issues, it's even possible if I couldn't talk but he COULD, he still wouldn't talk to paramedics.

4. Tori's Mom

Tori's Mom Approved members

We went through a TON of different bracelets and she would always take them off and not remember to put them back on. It is a pain to always try to remember to put something on when you leave the house.
    THEN, we went with a MedicAlert. It has that weird folding clasp that she could not figure out how to get off (she was 6 or 7 at the time) and I never showed her how to remove it. She has worn it 24/7 since then and I have replaced it once just because the plastic coating wore off the metal plate. Now that she is almost 10, I am going to get her a really nice pretty girly one :D for her birthday because she is used to having one on and will leave it alone now.

5. Ginagbaby1

Ginagbaby1 Approved members

David who just turned 7 was also dx when he was 6 and in the begining hated wearing his med id. We went with a couple different dog tag styles cause I knew that a bracelet would really bug him. Eventually he got used to it but he does take it off to sleep and in the house. He knows that he can't leave the house without it on and it's hard having to remember to ask him. We make him put it on top of his dresser if he takes it off so that it's always in the same place and when he gets dressed in the am we can see it and have a visual reminder. Like Christopher we got the ones from Laurens Hope but had to go with a surgical grade stainless steel as the reg stainless steel left black marks on his neck.

6. arogers

arogers Approved members

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I wear a medical ID necklace whenever I'm not at home. I take it off for bathing / showing / sleeping, because it really bothers me at those times.

This is the one I wear:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Infomedic-S...r_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry&qid=1280433038&sr=8-2

Less expensive than some of the others, and I like how it is as well. It has a plate on the back which (easily) twists off, and the medical information is on a folded information sheet inside. It means it has room for more medical info :( and also several phone numbers etc.

I only feel safe when I'm wearing my ID.